Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Copper exhaust gaskets, is it ok to....
Hammy
post Jul 12 2007, 06:41 PM
Post #1

mr. Wonderful

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,978
Region Association: Northern California

The little copper exhaust gaskets (that go between the heat exchanger and head) seem like they're practically welded on on one side. Tried picking them out, pulling them out, smashing them out. Nothing of physical abuse works.

Will heating them up with a torch get them out? Will this damage the head?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
solex
post Jul 12 2007, 07:30 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,439
Region Association: North East States

I had the same problem and made a little tool check out this link: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=50497&hl=
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Jul 13 2007, 08:57 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I had a similar problem getting mine out. I used a dremel with a small drill. 1/16 works. I drilled 3 holed in line along the long sides of the copper gasket. Be sure not to drill too deep. Do your best not to hit aluminum. I made a tool that had a 1/16 diameter pin at the end. Something like a snap ring tool. A snap ring tool may even work but I made my own from 1/4 diameter rod and ground the pin at the end. Use this tool to deform the gasket toward the inside. Place the pin in the center hole and pry to the side. By making 3 holes you weaken the gasket and it will bend very easily. Once it is deformed, it is easy to get a hold of it for removal.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 03:05 PM