Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which way to go?, V8 or 3.0 Liter?
por73914
post Jul 14 2007, 09:27 AM
Post #1

I don't know what the hell I am doing...

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,660

I am in the planning stages of a rustoration and powerplant conversion. The questions are which conversion has the better bang to the buck, more resale value if I ever decide to sell her and finally which conversion is the easiest to perform? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I am leaning towards the V8 because I already have a crate 350/300hp engine sitting in storage. I also have a 911 oil tank but am unsure if I can use that in a 6 conversion. Thanks Paul (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jul 14 2007, 09:39 AM
Post #2

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

3.0 or a 928S4 V8. Purists unite (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) !

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
propricer
post Jul 14 2007, 10:17 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,938

a STRONG vote for the V8 but then, I wrote the book on V8 conversions that's for sale on eBay ( and here ) so I am WAY biased.

To me the determining factors include ...

1) If you intend to do track events with the Porsche club, you MUST go Porsche or they won't let you run ... sometimes not even in exhibition class.

2) Initially, it's WAY cheaper to do the V8 conversion and consider the expense for each car AFTER the conversion if you had to rebuild the engine ... WAY more for the Porsche ... and yet it doesn't provide the same torque.

3) Realistically, you would be better off selling that 350 and buying a pro-built 327 or 302 which is more suitable to the stock 901 box ( with an H gear ). If you stick with the 350, you should consider moving to an early 930 with flipped R&P which, after all is said and done, will cost you about $10K.

I've had a V8 conversion for 20+ years and also have a full race 914-6 ... in terms of just plain pure FUN, I would take the V8 any day of the week ... but, after all is said and done, it's a matter of personal preference.

If you want more cost estimates, installation tips, etc., refer to my book.

Good luck in whichever you choose ... Ed ( ProPricer ) Ducey
+Quote Post
por73914
post Jul 14 2007, 10:38 AM
Post #4

While searching I have found that this topic has been covered recently Link I am leaning towards the V-8 and have been considering your book Ed. Thanks for the post. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
propricer
post Jul 14 2007, 10:43 AM
Post #5

If your 74 2.0 is original and cherry, I would suggest you set it aside to preserve its originality and beauty and look for a later 72 which is lighter, has a movable passenger seat, a sideshifter ... and a bigger interior mirror !!!

The 73 and 74 2.0's are just too rare and desirable to mess with - IMHO !!!

If you do buy the book, buy it from the vendor forum here - it's cheaper ... or just send me an email with your zip !!!

Good luck ... Ed
+Quote Post
por73914
post Jul 14 2007, 11:00 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(propricer @ Jul 14 2007, 11:43 AM) *

If your 74 2.0 is original and cherry, I would suggest you set it aside to preserve its originality and beauty and look for a later 72 which is lighter, has a movable passenger seat, a sideshifter ... and a bigger interior mirror !!!

If you do buy the book, buy it from the vendor forum here - it's cheaper ... or just send me an email with your zip !!!

Good luck ... Ed

PM Sent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
por73914
post Jul 14 2007, 11:30 AM
Post #7

It is original but not cherry-I never really considered keeping it original, is it really something that is rare?

Is this something I could regret in 20 years? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
propricer
post Jul 14 2007, 11:34 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(por73914 @ Jul 14 2007, 10:30 AM) *

It is original but not cherry-I never really considered keeping it original, is it really something that is rare?

Is this something I could regret in 20 years? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Ask the experts ( i.e., the guys on this board ) what they think a 74 2.0L is worth in the condition as you describe it and what it would be worth restored and what they think it will be worth in 10 years ... that should stimulate some conversation !!!

IMHO, it could be worth $6K-8K today where a 72 would run you $2-4K !!!

Your call ... Ed
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jul 14 2007, 11:44 AM
Post #9

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You can have a V8, I have had 6 of them and they are great. I would like another..
I don't now what makes the 73-74 2.0 anymore desirable than any of the other 914s other than the 2.0, and the sideshift trans. and with a 350 in place, The 2.0 is a thing of the past, and you will be having a blast.
Do it, there is so much information out their to help. Eds book and the Rengade kit is IMHO the best on the market.
You won't be sorry. Well yes you will. You will be sorry you didn't do it sooner.
The pic is a 413 HP 350 SBC, Brembo front brakes, very clean 75, added front flares before it was sold. Now located in San Juan Capistrano, Calif., Scott is the new owner, let me know when you get tired of it Scott.
CCLIN914NATION

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 14 2007, 12:08 PM
Post #10

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

i say sell that 350 and get yourself a nice big flat /6 !!!

for more info, read through my conversion thread in my sig ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jul 14 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #11

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318

QUOTE(propricer @ Jul 14 2007, 01:34 PM) *

Ask the experts ( i.e., the guys on this board ) what they think a 74 2.0L is worth in the condition as you describe it and what it would be worth restored and what they think it will be worth in 10 years ... that should stimulate some conversation !!!

IMHO, it could be worth $6K-8K today where a 72 would run you $2-4K !!!

Your call ... Ed

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) if it's that nice & numbers matching leave it alone. Go find a tub & start building whatever is right for you, 6 or V8, & leave the 74 to restoration.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jul 14 2007, 07:45 PM
Post #12

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

It's your deal. If you want to get the most HP for the least amount of money, then the V8 is probably the way to go. If you want the least molested car, then go with the air cooled Porsche engine.

As for opinions, mine is air cooled Porsche power. You can do it so it looks like it came off the assembly line, without losing your front trunk too, which IMHO is one of the cool features of a 914.
+Quote Post
JPB
post Jul 14 2007, 08:35 PM
Post #13

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

Don't defile that which is chast and................undefiled. Drive this one and get another one to work on. You can find some already converted at killer prices if you just use a little patience brother!

I do not speak from the purist's point of view, just as of one who is ate up.(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
sww914
post Jul 14 2007, 09:01 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146
Region Association: None

+Quote Post
brp914
post Jul 14 2007, 09:17 PM
Post #15

Unregistered

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) think it through - you put all that time and money into an old car that will be useless except for occasional wknd drives. Yeah, the fiirst few drives were a thrill, but then you get used to it. Meanwhile you gotta insure and register it. So now you gotta sell it for a huge loss. And if you look at ones for sale, they often come with trashed gearboxes. So much for the conventional bs, er conventional wisdom about 901 boxes handling all that power. Just buy a modern V8 car or sportbike if you need all that power. IMO real driving fun is expertly carving a canyon or road course - thats what 914 is all about, and it doesn't require v8 power.

+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Jul 14 2007, 09:23 PM
Post #16

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

If your looking for Hp go V8 a 3.0 wont be enough unless you turbo it, then you fall into the money pit.
+Quote Post
jaminM3
post Jul 14 2007, 10:36 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 7,619
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Another thing to look at is resale too. I always see nice /6 cars going for $15K, but I always see the V8 cars selling for ~$8K...

Now don't flame me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I haven't went searching it out or anything, it's just a casual observation.

I think I would want one of each, but do you really need that much torque with a car that weighs 2K lbs. Sport bikes dont have much torque either because they don't need it...
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jul 14 2007, 11:05 PM
Post #18

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

My thinking. The 3.0 is the way to go. 200 HP in a reliable car one that you will not have to dick with as with the V-8 and you will not have hot air pouring into your car in the summer. It will be a real Porsche and handle like a 914-6 and all I can say is I have owned both cars. And while it is nice to hot rod around in the V-8 screwing around with stuff all the time is no fun. You will spend a lot of money getting it right where you will not snap CVs and you will trash the 901 box with too much HP.

Bang for your buck the V-8 but get one that is done and some one is selling cheep. Drive it fix it and then sell it over.

Before I built my 3.0 – for my 73 I got a ride in my first real 6 with a 3.0 - 25 years ago. It not only handles great with 200HP and this is with 6s but it sounded great. A real Porsche that will always be worth real money as a conversion. Done well you will never have to unload it cheep.

Brp914 makes a great point. IMO real driving fun is expertly carving a canyon or road course - thats what 914 is all about, and it doesn't require v8 power.

Drag racing will do nothing but brake your car and as you where born in 64 you are not a kid laying rubber anymore.

Bob
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Jul 15 2007, 06:07 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

I vote 3.0 but I'm biased because that is what I am useing in my /6 conversion. The 3.0 without any internal changes with Weber/PMO carbs and decent exhaust is good for 210-220 horsepower with good torque curve and will last a long time. And the sound of that boxer six at 6000 rpm's is sooooooo sweeeeeet !!!
+Quote Post
degreeoff
post Jul 15 2007, 08:01 AM
Post #20

I like big butts and I can not lie!

Member No.: 275

Not going to be long winded...3.0...easy! More $$ out in the end and easy to do....after all the car was designed for a six too.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:23 PM