Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> MOCAL Thermostat observations., Observations on a new installation.
John
post Jul 23 2007, 12:52 PM
Post #1

member? what's a member?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

While helping to troubleshoot a new project, we were discussing the operation of a MOCAL thermostat installation.

It was always my thoughts that the thermostat was installed to prevent cold oil (high pressure) from bursting the oil cooler.

After reviewing the two ways that you can plumb the thermostat I came to the realization that the cooler will always see full system pressure regardless of temperature.

On a MOCAL thermostat, all ports are open when the unit is cold. When the unit heats up, the ports on one half are separated from the ports on the other half.

When the thermostat is cold and the oil is thick, there is no flow FORCED through the cooler. The path of least resistance would be through the return line back to the tank.

As the thermostat heats up, the internal valve closes FORCING oil to travel through the cooler and finally back to the tank.

This means that the cooler ALWAYS sees maximum system pressure. The path through the cooler (when cold) requires more force than it would to return to the tank preventing cold oil from being cooled further.

I verified this to be the case in both my cars as well.

I always thought it odd that you could plumb them as either straight through or crosswise. It makes sense now.

So my question is: Why do they market thermostats as a protection for oil coolers?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 09:07 AM