Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1st post and I have a weber progressive, My first 914...and it's got dog doo on it?
majkos
post Jul 24 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,729
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Since you're pulling the tank,mighta's well install some sway's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif)

It IS super easy to install. Stock sways are just fine to start with. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jul 24 2007, 10:22 PM
Post #22

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(majkos @ Jul 24 2007, 09:06 PM) *

Since you're pulling the tank,mighta's well install some sway's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif)

It IS super easy to install. Stock sways are just fine to start with. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

From one of his previous posts:

I think the car also has factory sways, i remember when it was on the lift it had them
+Quote Post
purple
post Jul 25 2007, 12:01 AM
Post #23

Pigeon feeders attract me

Member No.: 7,942
Region Association: None

yeah, factory sways are on it...

Thanks for the input though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jul 25 2007, 06:18 AM
Post #24

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Purple, the shifter is stock side shift with the usual tweeks like bronze bushings and new poly bushings.
Just gotta learn it.

Yellow cars with loud pipes help. and the fact that I try an be aware of the blind spots this little bugger can hide in.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jul 25 2007, 06:51 AM
Post #25

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Welcome to the World.

Looks like a nice car. Hope you have lots of fun in it. A couple of things I've learned with 914's:

The progressive single carb, to me, is what you put on your car when you're selling it and you still want to get $300-$500 for your dual Webers/Delletoros, so you take them off and sell separately and put on the progressive. Look for some dual carbs on this site and other 914 sites. I changed from progressive to dual Webers in my 1.7L and the difference is amazing. At WOT now, I get power. With the progressive, all I got at WOT was a cloud of 1/2 burnt gas coming out the exhaust.

I just removed the rear reflector on my 74. I have a welder so I welded up the holes and repainted. Either get yourself a welder, or buy your welder buddy a case of beer and go visit him.

In a 914, you will look up to all vehicles. It's kinda freaky when you look at the SUV beside you and realize that your head is even with the top of his tire. Or when you look in the rearview mirror and see a massive grill. Just be careful and keep your eyes open. Also just like a motorcycle, people are looking for vehicles of a certain width and height. Your 914 is wide enough but not high enough.

Good luck,
Spoke
+Quote Post
purple
post Jul 25 2007, 07:19 AM
Post #26

So dual carbs is something to do...is it okay to do dual webers? i thought they were out of business, does that make it hard to find parts? How much would I be spending? $300-$500? Should I do something about the hydraulic lifters? CAN I do something about it? Are they bad?

How hard is it to tune dual carbs? will the throttle be less sticky? Should I look into this megasquirt FI system? I did 4 years of EE, so soldering wouldnt be an issue...

Thanks guys

Ohh, btw. Is it considered lame to put the porsche crest on the hood? I really want to put this car's proper branding on there. The lettering for the engine grate is gone, and the grate itself looks like...well like a 30 year old piece of grating. Do you guys have some tips on re-finishing the engine grating?
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 25 2007, 08:41 AM
Post #27

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

go to the classic thread section and see if your f.p. is powered as outlined in andy's write up. if not, change it over when you're swapping the pump. it's the easiest and best way to do it. you will NOT miss that incessant rattling of the facet.

k
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Jul 25 2007, 08:44 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

I really want to put this car's proper branding on there.

then get a VW badge and a porsche badge, and place them right next to each other on the hood...that would be proper, no?

The lettering for the engine grate is gone, and the grate itself looks like...well like a 30 year old piece of grating. Do you guys have some tips on re-finishing the engine grating?

I have heard of people getting it powdercoated? -JON (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jul 25 2007, 09:00 AM
Post #29

CUMONIWANNARACEU

I got some engine lid letters and a front hood crest. PM me for details. I'll make you a sweet deal just to piss Paul off.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 25 2007, 09:07 AM
Post #30

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 25 2007, 07:00 AM) *

I got some engine lid letters and a front hood crest. PM me for details. I'll make you a sweet deal just to piss Paul off.

Joe with a butt as cute as yours, I could never be mad at you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
purple
post Jul 25 2007, 09:51 AM
Post #31

As it turns out joe, my parents found out about this purchase and decided to hook me up with a crest and the lettering...they had a 71 back before I was born, my dad is giddy with joy over the fact I got one of these, same color too. They had it for two years, so he knows all kinds of tricks and tips, just not the dual weber kind (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jul 25 2007, 09:57 AM
Post #32

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Well Someday I will go with an Aftermarket EFI system.
You know Electronic carbs. Just as soon as Paul pays up, This ass ain't free.

Sorry dude but this thread is going down hill and it is all my fault.

If you find something else you need post it as WTB in the classifieds. I unloaded a shit load of stuff to Rob Watson 2 weeks ago. Now I can see the back wall of my storage and now have even more still good stuff to sell off.
+Quote Post
purple
post Jul 25 2007, 10:00 AM
Post #33

I just looked at the sirAndy writeup on how to make the fuel pump wiring work...awesome.

The issue I have is the P.O. did something funny... he somehow wired a little orange LED to the gauge cluster to let him know the fuel pump was getting power. I have NO idea what's going on in the engine bay as far as FI brain trickery is concerned, but I do know that i dont like the crimp/spade connectors he was using for the facet.

I was going to solder & heat shrink the connections, so i dont have corrosion issues of those stupid spade connectors...those things and I have a history (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I guess I'll be looking in that relay box to see what's going on in there.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jul 25 2007, 10:03 AM
Post #34

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Your in Houston???

Hmm I was in Houston for the National tour a few months ago. That traffice really sucks. be careful out there.
+Quote Post
purple
post Jul 25 2007, 10:06 AM
Post #35

I kinda like houston traffic when it goes the speed it normally does...at least 80. You're right though, between dodging the horrendous holes in the road and the horrendous SUV's it's pretty dangerous to drive here. I have a mazda6 v6 as a daily driver, this 914 is for nice days and dates at the moment.

BTW, taking my GF for a ride in this car was a f'n brilliant idea... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
914nerd
post Jul 25 2007, 10:15 AM
Post #36

Who you callin' a "Member"?

Member No.: 6,461

Yep, you gotta be careful with these things
Just this morning I almost had a semi drive over me while I was stopped at a stop sign and he was turning into the oncoming lane
Guy didn't even notice me I don't think and if I hadn't backed up, he would have taken the front and probably top right off the car
+Quote Post
purple
post Jul 25 2007, 10:26 AM
Post #37

sometimes i think i could probably do the under the semi trailer stunt from the griswald's christmas vacation with this car, not that I'd want to. looking up at the hubs on a semi next to me is CRAZY
+Quote Post
914nerd
post Jul 25 2007, 10:36 AM
Post #38

Who you callin' a "Member"?

Member No.: 6,461

I would have probably been ok going under it except for the fact that he was going to drive over the left side of me with his tires
That and the hanging fuel tank in the middle
+Quote Post
purple
post Jul 25 2007, 01:07 PM
Post #39

Found a shop locally that will powdercoat the grates for their minimum price of $125 + 3% for environmental. They say 2-3 weeks.

Is this a good deal?

I realize right now i'm just doing cosmetic stuff, but I'm slowly working my way up to the big stuff, I've never had a car like this that responds so well to being worked on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Grelber
post Jul 25 2007, 01:27 PM
Post #40

Insert favorite Don Rickles joke here.

Member No.: 6,107
Region Association: Southwest Region

If you don't mind the cash outlay......... But it does seem like overkill. I'd just strip it and paint it.

BTW, if you haven't seen it yet, the MUSR (Mid US Ramble) will be late Sept./early Oct. in the Kerrville area. Should be 20+ teeners there.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 05:39 AM