Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Did the factory lack on paint, on the sails?
skline
post Aug 24 2007, 11:54 PM
Post #21

Born to Drive

Group: Members
Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I don't think it was just yellow cars, the fender I just replaced on this white car came from a green 76 car, when I removed the vinyl it got much lighter at the top. So it's not just yellow cars.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kconway
post Aug 26 2007, 11:15 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 3,231
Region Association: Southern California

My 74 Alaska Blue Metallic is shy of paint under the vinyl as well.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 27 2007, 08:24 AM
Post #23

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Pic of my sails markings and lack of paint. I did respray the sails lightly as there was almost no paint and I wanted some protection under the vinyl which I haven't put on yet.
Also a shot of one of the headlite buckets with the number 5 marked there which means ????

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
BS Chairman
post Aug 27 2007, 10:49 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 28

Guys,
Once again I'll say that I worked at Fisher Body Pontiac from mid 60's to it's close in 82. During that time I worked in the trim shop for GTO etc. Why there isn't paint on the quarter sails is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I know that sounds silly but, think about it. If I remember what the cost per car was $.05 x 100,500 =$$$$$$$ or more! Besides who would know that the paint wasn't there? Not any of you, until now. We, once had a plant manager put a $1.00 bill in 5 or 6 cars we were working on and said, " you have to stop giving GM's money away" buy not dropping bolts, to much glue. or paint that isn't called for. When you find no paint on the under body it's not because a worker forgot, it's about Money. The numbers and check marks are most likely inspectors marks. They show because of light paint where it was felt no one would see. Sorry for the long post.
Gary
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 28 2007, 09:37 PM
Post #25

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(BS Chairman @ Aug 27 2007, 10:49 PM) *

Guys,
Once again I'll say that I worked at Fisher Body Pontiac from mid 60's to it's close in 82. During that time I worked in the trim shop for GTO etc. Why there isn't paint on the quarter sails is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I know that sounds silly but, think about it. If I remember what the cost per car was $.05 x 100,500 =$$$$$$$ or more! Besides who would know that the paint wasn't there? Not any of you, until now. We, once had a plant manager put a $1.00 bill in 5 or 6 cars we were working on and said, " you have to stop giving GM's money away" buy not dropping bolts, to much glue. or paint that isn't called for. When you find no paint on the under body it's not because a worker forgot, it's about Money. The numbers and check marks are most likely inspectors marks. They show because of light paint where it was felt no one would see. Sorry for the long post.
Gary

I find it hard to believe that Porsche (or VW) had the low standards that GM had.

GM was/is established (as is Ford), and the buyers of those cars don't give a hoot about every surface being painted - they are throw away cars ( I own one & accept it for what it is). On the other hand, after owning 8 VW's, 2 Audi's, and only 4 Porsches, I've yet to see a factory prepped can that had minimal paint in "hidden" areas. Even my wife's '97 Passat GLX, which she loves and I hate, has topside quality paint in every orrifice (the only good thing I can say about it).

I don't think you can compare the US "quality" paintwork to the ROW.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 29 2007, 08:41 PM
Post #26

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Porsche cares about their bottom line as well. Just because it's a 'luxury' car company, doesn't mean they're willing to throw away money on paint that's unnecessary.
+Quote Post
orange914
post Aug 30 2007, 02:14 AM
Post #27

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 26 2007, 06:28 PM) *

hey! well, I figure this belongs here, as it does have to do with whether the "factory" did something or not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ....

well, I removed the original sail vinyl (original, as far as I know), and on the passenger side sail, there is a lack of paint....the driver side is fully painted.... the problem is the upper sail, because the majority of it is painted fine, but then the paint fades to almost nothing....

now the question: is it possible that it came like this, or was there a repair along the road???

PASS. SIDE SAIL
(IMG:http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q44/sendjonathanmail/IMG_0072.jpg)

DRIVER SIDE SAIL
(IMG:http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q44/sendjonathanmail/IMG_0073.jpg)

thanks so much
-JON (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

i've parted 3 and they all where like that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 02:17 PM