Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spent an hour trying to slide seats forward!, What am I missing?
Slick914
post Jul 27 2007, 06:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,802

My car does not have 914 seats in it, but it appears to have the correct 914 seat rails/brackets. They have the lever on the side that tilts the seat forward or back, and also releases completely in the front to tilt way back. I can't figure out how the heck to slide the seats forward or back. I'm thinking maybe I'm missing something? Please help! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
messix
post Jul 27 2007, 06:24 PM
Post #2

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

D-handle on the right side of the drivers seat on the front of the rail, left side on pass. side. gentley pull up and side foward. [the handel will break if manhandled]
+Quote Post
toon1
post Jul 27 2007, 06:26 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,022

QUOTE(Slick914 @ Jul 27 2007, 05:22 PM) *

My car does not have 914 seats in it, but it appears to have the correct 914 seat rails/brackets. They have the lever on the side that tilts the seat forward or back, and also releases completely in the front to tilt way back. I can't figure out how the heck to slide the seats forward or back. I'm thinking maybe I'm missing something? Please help! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

If they are old they are probably stuck. If you can slide them but can't get the top rail off, there is a little metal catch between them that will catch on a pin in the lower bracket so the seat won't slide all the way fwd. and come out.
+Quote Post
ahdoman
post Jul 27 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #4

It's phonetic...Ah-D-O-Man (Audioman)

Member No.: 5,084
Region Association: Southern California

If your "D" rings are broken you'll have to lift up on the front of the rail bar where they used to be. If you are trying to take them out you'll probably have to put a flat head screwdriver inbetween the seat rail and the floor mount rail and gently pry up on the seat rail.
+Quote Post
Slick914
post Jul 27 2007, 07:13 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(messix @ Jul 27 2007, 08:24 PM) *

D-handle on the right side of the drivers seat on the front of the rail, left side on pass. side. gentley pull up and side foward. [the handel will break if manhandled]

Apparently my D handles are gone. When I pull up on the stub that's left there I still can't get them to slide. So they're probably just seized up? Looks like fun trying to get the seats out without the seat being able to slide off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
messix
post Jul 27 2007, 07:47 PM
Post #6

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

easy!

four bolts behind the seat at the hinges, the whole seat and tracks will come out then.
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Jul 27 2007, 08:00 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

get a can of WD-40 with the little red spray straw, stick the straw into the rail, and spray away....should loosen it up -JON
+Quote Post
Slick914
post Jul 27 2007, 08:32 PM
Post #8

I'll mess around with it some more tomorrow. The seats are all the way back so it doesn't look like it'll be easy getting to the rear bolts. Maybe I can reach them from under the front of the seat somehow.
+Quote Post
toon1
post Jul 27 2007, 11:07 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 5,022

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 27 2007, 07:00 PM) *

get a can of WD-40 with the little red spray straw, stick the straw into the rail, and spray away....should loosen it up -JON

+Quote Post
dgw
post Jul 27 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #10

Dennis Winter

Member No.: 106
Region Association: Northern California

Get somebody to pull up on the stub where the D ring used to be, put a big honking crowbar behind the seat, and pry it forward. That was the only way I could move the driver seat in one of my 914's. It worked well, and I didn't destroy anything.
+Quote Post
scruz914
post Jul 28 2007, 02:25 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,724

Alignment is everything with sliders that are gooped up with old grease, hair, french fries, etc. Have someone get on the opposite side of the seat you want to move and pull up on the stub while you firmly push/pull the seat forward. The pressure needs to be low and in-line with the sliders. It will not work if you pull forward on the headrest. It goes easier once you get them moving. WD40 will really help. Once you get the seats out and all of the goop cleaned off, coat the sliders with paraffin wax. The wax will stay cleaner then grease.

Good luck!

-Jeff
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 28 2007, 09:02 AM
Post #12

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

slide a thin screwdriver into the inside rail, under the portion where the broken handle should be. you should feel 'stop' portion slightly raise and hopefully the seats will slide forward to access the 4 small bolts that retain the seat rails to the tilt hinge. if the seat should move fully forward to the stops, move it back just a small amount, feel on the front-bottom of the other slider and there is a small tab spring you have to push up to slide the seat off the rails. be careful with the spring tab. if you're pushing it up with your finger and the seat goes forward too fast you're going to pinch your finger HARD!! the pain will be great. then get a needle and pop the blood blister.

k
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 28 2007, 03:59 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Sometimes sitting IN the seat is the only way to slide it forward. Try that.
+Quote Post
Slick914
post Jul 28 2007, 05:55 PM
Post #14

I had limited time to work on the car today. My new 6.5" speaker enclosures came today and I just couldn't wait to install them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

All I tried with the seats were to sit in them while pulling up on the rail and sliding forward. Nothing! I'll have to further investigate, hopefully tomorrow. The seats themselves may even be preventing the lever to lift up enough. The lever hits the bottom of the seat while lifting it up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 28 2007, 08:30 PM
Post #15

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

The lever is part of the rail that attaches to the seat, so it will always hit the seat. Try the WD-40 or PB-Blaster to get it moving.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jul 28 2007, 08:37 PM
Post #16

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 28 2007, 03:59 PM) *

Sometimes sitting IN the seat is the only way to slide it forward. Try that.

Mark's correct!

They were designed to have a butt above them to compress the latches when you release them. Put some pounds on them - lots! WD40 won't hurt either. Wouldn't hurt to rest a saet on top & your butt either - just make sure you aloign everything. It'll move.
+Quote Post
porschecb
post Jul 28 2007, 09:55 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 2,529

Then try getting the smell of W-D40 or PB Blaster out of your car!! You might to try PAM it works also. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
LowGT
post Jul 28 2007, 11:58 PM
Post #18

1.8 and Proud!

Member No.: 4,904
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(porschecb @ Jul 28 2007, 10:55 PM) *

Then try getting the smell of W-D40 or PB Blaster out of your car!! You might to try PAM it works also. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Who is Pam and where can I find her? Is she really greasy or something? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
JPB
post Jul 29 2007, 01:03 PM
Post #19

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

MMMMmmmm, Spam on the BBQ. Oh yes, and liquid refreshments. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:59 PM