Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Used the fire extinguisher today, Apparently urgent to stop the oil leak!
toomanyinkc
post Jul 27 2007, 09:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,509

I started the new engine last weekend and began the 20 minute breakin. Noticed a tiny puddle of oil on the floor after ten minutes. A few minutes later, it was dripping so fast that it was almost a steady stream. The oil leaks onto the passenger side heat exchanger. As I was pondering the situation, the fuel tank ran dry.

I looked it over today but didn't find the source of the leak so I fired it up again and resumed the breakin. I was checking the timing and taking a look underneath every now and then. It was dry at first but was leaking again before long. I looked under for the last time about five minutes after I started the engine and it was on fire. The oil was vaporizing on the exhaust pipe and burning. I quickly shut the engine off and gave the fire a quick shot from the fire bottle. I hate my 914.

I took a good look after it cooled off. Burning oil was apparently dripping on the speedo cable because the sheath is blistered and melted. I didn't find any other damage. It was a small fire.

The oil is dripping off of the head onto the exhaust. I cleaned the mess up with carb cleaner and ran it again just enough to get the leak and then crawled under and began baking as I looked for the leak. I don't see that it is coming from anywhere but the valve cover. I'll go back under tomorrow to pull the valve cover and have another look around.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 09:39 AM