Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Just bought my first 914...couple of pics...couple of Q's, any help is greatly appreciated!
pba110
post Jul 30 2007, 04:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,921

Alright, so i threw caution to the wind and drove this little guy from ohio 600 miles back to virginia traveling over the blue ridge mountains (stopping to camp and rock climb along the way).
well, much to my pleasant suprise, she made it all the way without a hiccup and we had perfect driving weather until the last 100 miles where it rained like all hell.
so, i have too, too many questions, but ill begin with a few shots of the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
oh, and it's a 1974 1.8 L
(IMG:http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/pba110/914/HPIM1512.jpg)
(IMG:http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/pba110/914/HPIM1511.jpg)
(IMG:http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/pba110/914/HPIM1513.jpg)
(IMG:http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/pba110/914/HPIM1495.jpg)
okay, i went through the car today looking at all the rust issues, and thus far the areas i have found seem only to be surface rust (looked on the underside and went at it with a screwdriver...seems to be okay)...ill be sanding this stuff out tomorrow and applying silverbullet paint which i've heard good things about (doesn't require a perfect prep before painting). MY QUESTION IS THIS: where do you guys think the leak is coming from?
i'm not convinced it's the seals on the tail lights because they seem bone dry. however, i did lift a rubber mat to find the rusted area underwater (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) from sitting in the rain overnight. so it needs to get taken care of asap
(IMG:http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/pba110/914/IMG_1540.jpg)

okay, next is the heating system. seems like the blower engine is dead or very weak...i turn on the cool air and don't get much more than a light, light breeze from the vents under the front window or dash...the HE's looked like they have been taken apart...and the hole to the cabin has been plugged with....
(IMG:http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/pba110/914/IMG_1543.jpg)
...the top of a spray paint can????hahahah....pretty good recycling there. here are the parts i was given with the car
(IMG:http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/pba110/914/IMG_1546.jpg)
so do i need flapper boxes and a new blower engine to get the heat working again or is it more in depth than that...the connecting components seem a little rusty, hopefully i'm not going to have an asthma attack when this thing gets hooked up

other than that, i need to adjust the valves...stupid question but do you need to drain the oil before doing this? this is my first time around with a 914... this board is great, i've been reading on here for awhile before i pulled the trigger on a car...so it goes without saying, despite the car's flaws, i'm absolutely in love.
thanks in advance for any and all help on the above subjects...oh and i do have a few manuals, but they aren't nearly as helpful as the advice of someone that has done this stuff before...thanks~!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Spoke
post Jul 30 2007, 04:40 PM
Post #2

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

Looks like you have most of the heating tubes except for the flapper valves, their steel connecting tubes, and flexible hoses into the cabin.

The water in the trunk is common. The rubber mats tend to hold the moisture next to the metal to promote rusting. Best bet is to keep it garaged. My 71 leaks in all possible places. Even the front turnsignal buckets fill with water when in the rain.

Adjusting the valves does not need to have the oli drained. Check pelicanparts.com for 914 tech articles including valve adjustment.

BTW, nice looking car, good luck, and welcome to the World.

Spoke
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Jul 30 2007, 04:48 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

things I noticed right off the bat

1) trunk repainted at one point..painted all the wiring, etc.

2) bolt coming through trunk floor

Attached Image

3) front turn signal lenses upside-down

and actually, now that I see it, the whole car was repainted...look ---->

Attached Image

congrats on the purchase.... and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) -JON (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Jul 30 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

and BTW, just so you dont think im putting you down...im NOT, at all...the car looks really good....just pointing out the little things, which I seem to bother me, all to easily (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) -JON
+Quote Post
ws91420
post Jul 30 2007, 04:55 PM
Post #5

Yes I have one a Lensley 914

From: Ruther Glen,VA (halfway between sticks and civilization)
Member No.: 1,137
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

What part of VA? there are a few of us around here. The bolt in the rear trunk Jonathan spotted may be for a rear sway bar setup. Or a fix for a ground strap.
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Jul 30 2007, 05:01 PM
Post #6

Sooo Close.......

Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Hello and welcome!! Good looking car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) I too have the 'mysterious' trunk leak. I have all new seals and rubber and have even siliconized the taillights to the point of welding them to the chassis. Still no help, leaks like a sieve - so I took my trusty drill and 1/4" drill bit and drilled a hole on each side of the trunk floor at the lowest points. Then prepped and primed and painted to prevent rust (I replaced the rear floor due to rot) Now the water just flows out and the trunk stays dry and rust free..

Sucks I know to do this, but it was the only way - I could not talk any of the neighborhood kids into climbing in and letting me spray the car with a hose while they looked with a flashlight to find the source -

Again, welcome!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jul 30 2007, 05:05 PM
Post #7

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) fellow Virginian. Now starts the madness (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) !
+Quote Post
swl
post Jul 30 2007, 05:08 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

got the same bolts, I think, on my new one - rear sway bar mounts.
+Quote Post
type47
post Jul 30 2007, 05:32 PM
Post #9

Viermeister

Member No.: 994

what part of VA and do you know about the East Coast Cookout being held in Frederick MD on Sept 15? come join the festivities and meet 30-40 other 914 owners...
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jul 30 2007, 05:38 PM
Post #10

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318

QUOTE(jwalters @ Jul 30 2007, 07:01 PM) *

Sucks I know to do this, but it was the only way - I could not talk any of the neighborhood kids into climbing in and letting me spray the car with a hose while they looked with a flashlight to find the source -

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Check both seams between the short engine gasket & the long trunk gasket. Also might want to check the alignment of the hood to make sure it's seating properly. You might want to try putting a video camera inside the trunk instead of a "peanut" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
pba110
post Jul 30 2007, 05:40 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 7,921

hey,
i'm down in richmond VA, i will plan on coming up for that get together.
the car was originally a light blue and the new paint is less than desirable.
i was looking for a car that wasn't too perfect so i could save a little money being that it's going to be parked outside 24/7...
so, i guess i will sand, paint, and drill a drainage hole...i'm thinking ill just buy a car cover for when it really starts coming down...
thanks for the info on the HE's stuff, that along with new brake pads is the first order of business for the car
seriously thanks everybody!
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jul 30 2007, 06:20 PM
Post #12

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

Wilkmommen!
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Jul 30 2007, 06:25 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

to cut down on the amount of water this car sees, why not get one of these: Attached Image

keeps the elements out -JON (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Jul 30 2007, 07:16 PM
Post #14

Sooo Close.......

Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 30 2007, 07:38 PM) *

QUOTE(jwalters @ Jul 30 2007, 07:01 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Check both seams between the short engine gasket & the long trunk gasket. Also might want to check the alignment of the hood to make sure it's seating properly. You might want to try putting a video camera inside the trunk instead of a "peanut" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Dude - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Just a thought (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Wanna let me borrow your high dollar camcorder to place inside the trunk and then let me wet it all down??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif)
+Quote Post
skline
post Jul 30 2007, 09:42 PM
Post #15

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Water in the trunk is most likely caused by poor seals around the tail lights. It is very common and I am surprised nobody else mentioned it. I guess they were too busy picking apart your car.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Slick914
post Jul 30 2007, 09:57 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 7,802

Nice car man!

I was actually thinking about going to look at it when it was for sale, but you bought it too quick. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Not sure if you're aware of it, but the car was listed on the board for sale as well... link

It's your car, but I wouldn't drill holes in the trunk pan if it were me. As mentioned, where else could it leak besides the lid seals and tail lights?

My car is parked outside as well. I just throw a waterproof cover on it when rain is in the forcast. I wouldn't recommend a waterproof cover for long storage, but they're ok when used for short periods of time.
+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post Jul 30 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #17

Insert witty comment here...

Member No.: 4,493
Region Association: None

How about smoke from the inside? See where the smoke comes out instead.

Or the video camera, and a high powered light along the seams... Light in = Water in.

Nice car!

BJH
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 31 2007, 12:01 AM
Post #18

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I have some pictures of how the heat exchangers and the other heater bits go together on the Pelican board, I think. Search over there for "flapper" on the 914 section of the BBS and you should find them.

--DD
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Jul 31 2007, 09:04 AM
Post #19

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207

congratulations on the car AND the trip home! there are a few of us in the yorktown/williamsburg/VA-beach "greater metropolitan area"

+Quote Post
Cevan
post Jul 31 2007, 02:13 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 7,351

You beat me too. I spoke to the seller (Tab) about that car. He told me a guy from Virginia was going to call him later that night about the car. I was just too far away to commit right then and there. Congratulations. My shitbox in my avatar is long gone so I'm on the hunt for a car now.

If you don't mind me asking, logistically, how did you go about purchasing the car? Did you pay for the car and wait for the title, register it, and then fly out to pick up the car? There are no temporary license plates in my state anymore so if I was to drive it home, I'd have to go this route. I'm looking for a car now and am a little hesitant to send a check for $3000, 4000 etc and wait for a title.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 09:00 AM