Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> auto lifts.., any sugestions?
Schnell944
post Mar 15 2003, 06:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 86

hey there. finally getting a garage so i can work on da porsches w/o worring about sunlight or the elements. anyway, i'd like to get a lift for it too and i was wondering what you would suggest for like 2k or so. ill be using it for the 914 and the 944. any info appreciated. thnx!

Ryan Z
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TimT
post Mar 15 2003, 06:50 PM
Post #2

retired

Member No.: 313

look over here there has just been some discussion about his
+Quote Post
mskala
post Mar 15 2003, 08:57 PM
Post #3

R

Member No.: 79
Region Association: None

Also, a few of us have this type: great if you
want to use for parking an extra car as well
as working on stuff, but not so great a help
for working on tires and brakes. More than
2K new, though.

http://members.rennlist.com/marks/por_lift.htm

Mark S.
'70 914-6
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Mar 15 2003, 09:31 PM
Post #4

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

I have an Autolifters M6000 (see in the avatar). Third one I have owned and recommend highly. Similar to several other on the market. Key is to have a high ceiling. I had to raise my door opener and adjust the up "stop" in order to use the opener with a car in the "up" position. Four post is best for home use since you can store a car on it. Two post is probably better for working on the car. I am able to use a small floor jack on the ramp to jack a Porsche using a jack plate in the normal jack point for wheel removal. Cost is more than $2K but less than $3. They often have sales with free accessories or free shipping. Do a web search for Autolifters.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 16 2003, 09:07 AM
Post #5

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Phone around to a couple of the dealers/installers, they often have used lifts they will sell for 1/2 price installed.
My buddy just picked up a 2 post from the local scrap yard for $500.(Canadian) it has a blown motor, no big deal.
+Quote Post
Schnell944
post Mar 16 2003, 08:07 PM
Post #6

thnx for the responsed....im kinda leaning towards the two post versions for bc of the greater ease in dealing w/ wheels and break components....would i be able to store a car w/ one of these if i took all the wheels off it to alleviate the stress issue of the suspension components saging? thanks!

Ryan Z
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Mar 16 2003, 08:12 PM
Post #7

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

You will find a 4-post much better. Not only do you not store with the suspension hanging but you simply drive on a 4-post and lift away, or leave it down and park a car on it. It is not difficult to jack the car, support with a stand if appropriate, and remove a wheel for brake/hub work. Also, the posts of a 2-post often interfere with door/entry/exit of the lower car since the posts are centered.
+Quote Post
cha914
post Mar 17 2003, 09:52 AM
Post #8

MUSR 8 - 5lug conversion done wed - drive 500miles thrus

Member No.: 63

Personally I went with a two post lift...mainly cause I will be using it to work on cars rather than store cars, and also because I bought it from a friend (saved some $$). The nice thing about mine is that it is a low rise lift. The cables run along the floor so that the top of the lift is open. This makes the lift stand only about 8.5' but it will still raise a car up to 12'...so its good for lower celings.

I would definately look used, you should be able to find one in your price range easily...also, if you go with a 2post you can get one that is angled that will allow you to open and close doors without problems.

I will be installing mine at the end of april, so I will write back with pics and such...

Tony
+Quote Post
Schnell944
post Mar 17 2003, 03:22 PM
Post #9

nice, i just have to figure out where to go to look for used ones..
+Quote Post
airsix
post Mar 17 2003, 04:20 PM
Post #10

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 16 2003, 07:07 AM)
Phone around to a couple of the dealers/installers, they often have used lifts they will sell for 1/2 price installed.
My buddy just picked up a 2 post from the local scrap yard for $500.(Canadian) it has a blown motor, no big deal.

Wow! I would love to find a deal like that. Having been around both I'd definitely like a 2-post. If I look until I'm 100 years old I doubt I'll ever find one for $500 though! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Mar 17 2003, 05:08 PM
Post #11

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

To find a deal on one, watch out for auctions. Bailiffs auctions especially. Going out of business sales. A buddy of mine bought one last year (a two post), 6 months old for $1,500 CDN or $1,000 USD ($4,500CDN/$3,000USD new)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:54 AM