Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> tolerance when cutting pushrods..... margin for error
mike373
post Aug 8 2007, 04:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,536

Ok..... So, I did the rocker geometry, and got my adjustable pushrod dialed in and locked. It has the same exact ball ends as the ones im using (manton chromoly).... so there will be no guessing with regards to radius of the ends. I took everything to my machinist, and he said that because his lathe bit was on the dull side.... from cutting flywheels.... that he could only get them within .008 or .010 from the adjustable pushrod I gave him. MY QUESTION.... What is acceptable tolerance....or margin for error.... before the geometry starts getting affected. I took these to a couple other machine shops, who said they could get it within .005 . This is crazy making.

Mike

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mike373
post Aug 9 2007, 12:04 AM
Post #2

QUOTE(mike373 @ Aug 8 2007, 02:44 PM) *

Ok..... So, I did the rocker geometry, and got my adjustable pushrod dialed in and locked. It has the same exact ball ends as the ones im using (manton chromoly).... so there will be no guessing with regards to radius of the ends. I took everything to my machinist, and he said that because his lathe bit was on the dull side.... from cutting flywheels.... that he could only get them within .008 or .010 from the adjustable pushrod I gave him. MY QUESTION.... What is acceptable tolerance....or margin for error.... before the geometry starts getting affected. I took these to a couple other machine shops, who said they could get it within .005 . This is crazy making.

Mike

No one....Eh???
+Quote Post
orange914
post Aug 9 2007, 12:09 AM
Post #3

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(mike373 @ Aug 8 2007, 11:04 PM) *

QUOTE(mike373 @ Aug 8 2007, 02:44 PM) *

Mike

No one....Eh???

mike
have you posted ? on jakes site? i'll be doing this soon on my 2056. the chromoly came as a set of 8, right? keep us posted (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

mike
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Aug 9 2007, 12:20 AM
Post #4

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

+/- .001

If you don't use insane accuracy there is no reason to do the geometry process at all..

Remember that any pushrod length variation will be multiplied by the rocker arm ratio, so that .005 will net you .008 or so of a variance and that can lose you .020 valve lift or compromise the geometry completely.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Aug 9 2007, 11:40 AM
Post #5

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Just a clarification question on your kits Jake. Do the push rods come cut or do we have to do this step ourselves.

+Quote Post
mike373
post Aug 9 2007, 05:15 PM
Post #6

Found a great machinist in Santee, Ca. He will get the pushrods within .001 . Yipee!

Ballistic Machine and Fabrication 619-562-8750 if anyone is interested.

Mike
+Quote Post
davep
post Aug 9 2007, 06:33 PM
Post #7

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Just a dumb question here, since I have yet to order a kit, do the ball ends all measure the exact same so that when installed into the newly cut tubes the finished pushrods will all be the same length, or do you have to carefully measure them also to ensure the tubes are not cut too short.

Being anal, I'd assume the latter, and err on the long side, fit the end, measure total length, and adjust as necessary to get a perfect length on each one.
+Quote Post
G e o r g e
post Aug 9 2007, 06:35 PM
Post #8

Dr

Member No.: 4,832
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 9 2007, 10:40 AM) *

Just a clarification question on your kits Jake. Do the push rods come cut or do we have to do this step ourselves.

Joe,

you cut them yourself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Aug 10 2007, 10:31 AM
Post #9

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Damn it.
Something to not look forward to when I order a kit.

Maybe I should get better tools.

Yea that's it get more and better tools. Brilliant!!!!!!!
+Quote Post
Borderline
post Aug 10 2007, 10:57 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,577

I don't know if I understand what you're doing. You set up one valve/pushrod and are now going to have all 8 pushrods machined to that length? I did each one individually on mine. They aren't all the same! especially if you're trying to get within .001"
+Quote Post
orange914
post Aug 10 2007, 03:42 PM
Post #11

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818

QUOTE(Borderline @ Aug 10 2007, 09:57 AM) *

I don't know if I understand what you're doing. You set up one valve/pushrod and are now going to have all 8 pushrods machined to that length? I did each one individually on mine. They aren't all the same! especially if you're trying to get within .001"

i'll be doing this shortly also. the feed back i've got from various experianced builders is this:
you can do each and every one BUT if you arent PRECISE to each (and you probably wont be) i've been told it's good to do just (1) exhaust and (1) intake. from there have exhaust and intakes done as sets.
the basic idea is to adjust geometry to new cam base/lift. unless you really are anal on each one you could go backwards.
feedback? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
mike
+Quote Post
JPB
post Aug 10 2007, 08:00 PM
Post #12

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

There are afew steps to be taken and all tubes are custome cut to length. I think Jake has the info you need to do the job correctly and it might take a tool also. He has mentioned this in his Fourth Dimension shows. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 06:14 AM