Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brake parts, should I save these?
hwgunner
post Aug 12 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #1

914 Parts @ Discount Prices 800.321.5432

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,095
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I am going through a bunch of stuff and I have a bunch of brake lines that are mangled and/or crimped and otherwise useless. The question I have from the Brake Fairies is should I cut the lines up and save the DOOOOHICKIEEEES that attach the lines to the caliper(that the lines go through, that are threaded, generally size 11mm). I do not know why but I am can not for the life of me remember the name of these little buggers even though I have sat for 15 minutes trying. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 12 2007, 08:32 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I would save them (or send them to me) if they are in good shape. The replacement lines you get at the parts store usually have a larger hex head and it's nice to swap in the original style.

Of course the catch is that in order to reuse them you need a brake line flaring tool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
davep
post Aug 12 2007, 09:51 PM
Post #3

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

I save all of mine. Most I cut the line off flush with the nut, and weld it up to make plugs. If the threads are fine, and the flats are also, then they are good candidates for making new lines.
+Quote Post
70Sixter
post Aug 13 2007, 01:48 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,444
Region Association: South East States

Save 'em. If you throw them away you'll need some of the pieces. If you keep them you will not need them. Like the generator I bought after Hurricane Fran.

And I remember Peter Egan writing of a midnite raid on his junkyard to recover Lotus brake lines he'd tossed. Seems he needed the old lines to use as template to bend new ones.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 12:10 AM