Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Do You Roll Your Fenders?
ne14914
post Mar 15 2003, 10:26 PM
Post #1

Me N My914

Group: Members
Member No.: 388

Currently i have empi 8 spoke rims on my car with 165 SR 15 tires on them. I want to go to a wider tire but dont have much room. The empi rim has too much off set.

I have read about using a bat to "roll out" the fenders. Exactly how is this done, and will it resolve my problem. Does anyone else out there have empi 8 spokes on their car, and what is the widest tire you can put on them.

Thanks

Craig
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave Cawdrey
post Mar 15 2003, 11:02 PM
Post #2

Dumbo going poop, Daddy :)

Member No.: 182

If you look on the fender lip, where it tucks back in toward the tire, yul see the lip to be flattened or rolled. Jack the car up enough to get the bat in w/ the wheel on. Push down on the handle, forcing the head of the bat against the lip, using the tire as the fulcrom point. Roll the bat to flatten lip.... Viola
+Quote Post
airsix
post Mar 15 2003, 11:02 PM
Post #3

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

Hi Craig,
When I was in college I ran 195/50-15's and Empi 8-spokes on my first 914. This required a little rolling of the rear quarters, but nothing extreme. I will tell you up front that you will damage the paint doing this, so don't try unless you are prepared to do some touch-up work. Best case scenario you will just lose the paint on the edge of the wheel opening. Worst case scenario you may crack the paint a few inches up from the edge.
Take an old bat or some appropriately sized pieces of plastic PVC pipe and insert between the tire and fender at the back of the tire. Roll the bat/pipe forward across the top of the tire. Use the friction between the tire and bat/pipe to your advantage - twist the bat/pipe to roll it forward across the tire. Start with a small diameter pipe or section of the bat - you don't want to do to much at once. Make several passes gradually using a larger diameter section of the bat or pipe until you have pulled out the fender sufficiently. Then sand and repaint the edge of the fender where all the paint chipped off. It's not that hard, but watch out for one thing - don't put downward pressure on the bat/pipe so much that the top edge of the bat/pipe presses outward against the inside of the fender up high above the fender lip - this can cause cracking of the paint up high above the wheel opening.
As an aside, I saw some pictures the other day of a machine being used in a tire shop to do this (they were doing a BMW M3 at the time). They remove the wheel and bolt it to the hub. It has an arm with a big rubber roller on the end of it. You adjust the angle and length of the arm, and then it is rolled back and forth against the inside of the fender to pull it out. Looked pretty slick. No paint damage either.

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
Zeke
post Mar 15 2003, 11:04 PM
Post #4

Never left, but not right....

Member No.: 197
Region Association: None

The lip in the wheel opening is what you're after. If you have a nice paint job, be careful with what ever technique you use. Some guys flatten out the lip completely by folding it upwards against the inner fender. They use a bat against the tire, rolling it back and forth to start the bending. Another way is to grind or saw about half of the lip off. Take it slow so you don't get the metal hot and blister the paint. Of course, if you're gonna paint the car soon, nevermind anything I said and take some big ol' pliers to the lip.
+Quote Post
airsix
post Mar 15 2003, 11:05 PM
Post #5

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

Hey, well will you look at that! I just did a google search for "fender roller" and found that machine I was just talking about. $30 rental sounds pretty good for not having to deal with paint damage.

http://www.bmw-m.net/Gallery/haweka.htm

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
Dave Cawdrey
post Mar 15 2003, 11:09 PM
Post #6

Pretty slick !!!
+Quote Post
ne14914
post Mar 15 2003, 11:13 PM
Post #7

Me N My914

Thanks Ben
+Quote Post
Dave Cawdrey
post Mar 15 2003, 11:16 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(ne14914 @ Mar 15 2003, 09:13 PM)
Thanks Ben

what about me ??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 16 2003, 12:29 AM
Post #9

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

You need really strong thumbs. If you ever manage to get then rolled I still don't think the surgeon general will appove..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Mar 16 2003, 12:50 AM
Post #10

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

The way I have done this is with a wooden (not aluminum) baseball bat and two people. With the car on the ground, insert the large end of the bat a few inches into the space at the rear of the fender opening. Then drive the car very slowly forward while holding the handle of the bat down to control the pressure. The bat will roll forward on the tire, pushing out on the fender. The tire will deform around the bat, so the fender will only move out a little bit. When the bat reaches the front of the fender opening, put the car in reverse and roll the other way. Rinse and repeat.

The paint might not even be damaged, but you can gain an inch of clearance this way. If you don't think such a big rod will fit in your hole, start with a closet pole. I guarantee you will switch to the bat quickly.

OTOH, that fancy tool looks like a slick trick if you like spending money.
+Quote Post
ne14914
post Mar 16 2003, 12:58 AM
Post #11

Me N My914

OK Korijo - Thanks to you too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
anthony
post Mar 16 2003, 10:58 AM
Post #12

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Personally, I'd get rid of the Empis and get some 914 Fuch alloys. They will have the right offset for the car and you could easily run a 195 size tire and even probably a 205.
+Quote Post
Paul Lazarro
post Mar 18 2003, 12:20 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 437

Im with Anthony,IMHO you could spend more money on paint and body work than you would spend on a proper set of wheels(correct offset) ie, Fuchs,etc. Oh, and I've got Empi's too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Lazarro 75' 2.0 914
+Quote Post
Mockmaw
post Mar 18 2003, 01:40 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 438

I'm running 195-60-15's on a set of Empi 8-spokes and it's a very close fit. I like how the combination really fills out the fender well, but you'll likely need to do some amount of modification to make things 'comfortable'. I found that pulling the fender was enough for me, I didn't need to actually roll the lip (as I was worried about paint damage.)

Of course, as we all know these cars weren't made the exactly the same.. so that which has turned out to be a close fit on my car may simply be a non-issue for you.

I'm definitely entertained by this icon: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Mar 18 2003, 01:50 AM
Post #15

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Ahhh yes. Its the Berkeley guy. How are you ?? Long time no speak/type.

B
+Quote Post
post Mar 18 2003, 03:41 AM
Post #16

Group:
Member No.: 0

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fighting19.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Try rolling your fenders use that order of ideas.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 18 2003, 11:58 AM
Post #17

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(L8Apex @ Mar 18 2003, 01:41 AM)
Try rolling your fenders use that order of ideas.

you forgot one!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fighting19.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:06 AM