Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another Speedo Angle Drive Post, Where Does This Go?
kconway
post Aug 15 2007, 08:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,231
Region Association: Southern California

CRAP! I went down to the local dealership to order the seals for the speedo angle drive and came home with these (less penny) ->

Attached Image

So, the aluminum washer on the left is item #24 (sealing washer) from the exploded view in PET. I could have sworn I told the counter guy I needed #25 & #26. Anyway, I pulled my old angle drive out and couldn't find this part anywhere. Anybody know where it goes? Got photos? Maybe this is why mine leaks? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Edit
so I found this where it shows what looks like the same washer but its a sloppy fit, can someone confirm?
Attached Image

Kev
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cano
post Aug 16 2007, 07:59 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,854
Region Association: None

I just replaced the o-ring and oil seal in mine, but did not replace the washer. When you unscrew the speedo drive from its housing that press fits into the rear cover of the tranny, you will see the washer. It fits into the housing and helps hold the oil seal in place. The washer should fit very tight.

If you are not going to replace the oil seal, I would just leave the current washer in its place. However, while you are in there, you probably should get a new oil seal and replace. Use a hooked pick to get behind the washer and you should be able to pop it loose. Then it is real easy to get the old seal out, install the new, and press the washer back in so it sits nice and flat inside the housing. Then screw the speedo drive back in, and install the whole assembly back in the tranny. Be careful not to strip the threads in the case where the screw holds the whole assembly in the tranny case, it is easy to do. I think the torque value is some thing like 3-5 ft/lbs.

Hope this helps.
+Quote Post
kconway
post Aug 16 2007, 08:19 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Cano @ Aug 16 2007, 06:59 AM) *

I just replaced the o-ring and oil seal in mine, but did not replace the washer. When you unscrew the speedo drive from its housing that press fits into the rear cover of the tranny, you will see the washer. It fits into the housing and helps hold the oil seal in place. The washer should fit very tight.

If you are not going to replace the oil seal, I would just leave the current washer in its place. However, while you are in there, you probably should get a new oil seal and replace. Use a hooked pick to get behind the washer and you should be able to pop it loose. Then it is real easy to get the old seal out, install the new, and press the washer back in so it sits nice and flat inside the housing. Then screw the speedo drive back in, and install the whole assembly back in the tranny. Be careful not to strip the threads in the case where the screw holds the whole assembly in the tranny case, it is easy to do. I think the torque value is some thing like 3-5 ft/lbs.

Hope this helps.

Gordon,
Is the blue seal shown here the one your talking about? I don't see the washer here but perhaps its crushed into place?
Kev

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cano
post Aug 16 2007, 08:28 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,854

Yep, that is the oil seal, and that is the washer in front of the oil seal. At first glance, the washer looks like it is a part of the housing, but if you look close you will see that the washer is seperate, just a tight press fit. Use a pick or something to get behind it, and give it a hard tug. It should pop out, giving you access to the seal. Otherwise, there would be no way to remove the old oil seal and install the new. When you are done, the washer should not be loose, but pressed tightly back in the housing.
+Quote Post
kconway
post Aug 16 2007, 09:04 AM
Post #5

Finally...

Sealing Washer removed (pn 914.318.26.101)
Attached Image

Radial Sealing Ring removed (pn 999.113.036.50)
Attached Image

Kev (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
zonedoubt
post Mar 5 2009, 03:08 PM
Post #6

Canadian Member

Member No.: 696
Region Association: Canada

Old thread, but related to what I'm doing.

Which way does the radial sealing ring (999 113 036 50) supposed to be installed? I just picked one up from the dealer and notice the two sides are different. On one side I can see a spring.

Attached Image

Is the arrow pointing to the flat side with the spring on the other side?
+Quote Post
kconway
post Mar 5 2009, 07:15 PM
Post #7

I put the spring side inboard. Yes, that is the flat side, spring is farside.

Kev
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post May 14 2017, 02:36 PM
Post #8

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

Can this be done with the transmission in the car and the case full of gear oil, or will it all come sqirting out while being done.

I have one drip left and it is that seal. The case if full of new Spepco, so I am deciding whether to let it be for now.

+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 14 2017, 02:49 PM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(wndsnd @ May 14 2017, 04:36 PM) *

Can this be done with the transmission in the car and the case full of gear oil, or will it all come sqirting out while being done.

I have one drip left and it is that seal. The case if full of new Spepco, so I am deciding whether to let it be for now.

If you remove the entire drive, gear oil will pour out. Promise.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post May 14 2017, 02:53 PM
Post #10

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

Thanks Mark, That's what I thought. The fact that the engine I built does not drip a drop and the only drip is coming from that drive is a source of satisfaction.

I will leave it be.
+Quote Post
Matty900
post May 14 2017, 06:46 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 18,454
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You may want to try this part to keep it from leaking. http://shop.914rubber.com/Speedo-Drive-Bus...2-901318243.htm

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jun 25 2017, 08:23 AM
Post #12

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

Ugg..mine is leaking badly as well and that stuff smells NASTY when it hits the exhaust!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 26 2017, 07:39 PM
Post #13

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

The "kit" we sell includes all but the aluminum washer. New internal seal, a second seal to help keep it from dripping and a complete new aluminum "bushing"
For $65 you get it all.
The dealership wants over $100 just for the bushing. This started as a rebuild service that McMark was doing and turned it into a outright purchase as we could bring the cost down and you aren't without a part you need (no downtime).

http://shop.914rubber.com/Speedo-Drive-Bus...m?categoryId=-1
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 07:55 AM