Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Am I out of threads on my clutch?, See photo, it's the best
purple
post Aug 23 2007, 09:34 AM
Post #1

Pigeon feeders attract me

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,942
Region Association: None

Hey Guys,

I'm curious if my clutch cable is out of threads at the tranny end. I've drawn what can best be described as the best pen-paper drawing ever. This illustrious illustration illustrates the indignant state of my clutch linkage exactly. The arm that goes to the clutch is all the way against the back of the cable.

If I move the arm closer to the end of the threads, what does that do? (to the right in the picture)

If I move the arm closer to the back of the car, what does that do? (to the left in the picture)

I'd like your guys input because the haynes manual kinda glosses over this part.

If I'm out of threads, does that mean I'll be replacing the clutch soon?

Thanks guys!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SGB
post Aug 23 2007, 09:39 AM
Post #2

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

You may be able to take up a few more threads worth at the clutch end. Have you looked there?
+Quote Post
purple
post Aug 23 2007, 09:42 AM
Post #3

I've tried looking up there...but I can't quite see enough to do anything.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 23 2007, 10:16 AM
Post #4

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

did you note section 5 and fig 4.9 on pages 70&71 of your haynes? ensure the 10mm protrusion on the pedal end of the cable is correct.

k
+Quote Post
john rogers
post Aug 23 2007, 10:29 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 391

All the cables I have ever used have a spacer block between the nuts at the clutch release arm and the arm itsself. If you don't have one I would say to add one. I have made them from barrel nuts that are just large enough to fit over the threaded rod end.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Aug 23 2007, 10:40 AM
Post #6

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Is this the first time you adjusted the clutch?

Why do you need to adjust? Does clutch engage near the bottom of the clutch pedal throw or near the top (almost released)?

Pulling the clutch arm to the rear of the car disengages the clutch (left in your pic). This pulling is done when you depress the clutch pedal. The further to the rear the clutch arm is adjusted the further to the end of the pedal the clutch engages. Ie., you have to barely press the pedal to get the clutch to disengage.

Adjusting the clutch arm to the front of the car (right in your pic) means the clutch engages more toward the bottom of the clutch pedal. Ie., you have to depress the pedal more to get the clutch to disengage.

Check where the clutch cable enters the cabin for any rust. I had rust there and was constantly adjusting the cable like yours until I realized that the firewall was rusted and the cable stop was moving toward the engine.

As my clutch wore in my red car (its gone now), I had to add some spacers (washers) to allow adjustment just like you have now.

Spoke
+Quote Post
purple
post Aug 23 2007, 10:49 AM
Post #7

The clutch disengages pretty much on the floor. The firewall is solid and is not rusted at all. The clutch works fine now, but if the pedal is not ALL THE WAY to the floor, it doesnt disengage. I test this by putting it in 3rd with the clutch pushed in all the way, to stop the gears spinning, then I'll try to put it in reverse and the gears grind, even though i didnt let the clutch out. I put a new rennline pedal board in and the clutch stop is all the way at the top of the adjustment and is not interfering in the clutch travel. This is an ounce of prevention kind of question basically.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Aug 23 2007, 10:57 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hey Purple.

Have you looked to see it the clutch tube has broken at the front attachment? All the other suggestions are correct but I think if this tube has broken loose, then some range of travel is lost.
+Quote Post
purple
post Aug 23 2007, 10:59 AM
Post #9

As far as I can tell, the tube is right where it's supposed to be, I cant move it around at all (when I had the shifter out)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Aug 23 2007, 11:17 AM
Post #10

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Sounds like its time to add some spacers between the arm and the nuts. You might also want to check the connection of the clutch cable to the clutch pedal assembly. Theres a threaded end with securing nut.

Here's a pic of my clutch adjustment. The clutch is new.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
purple
post Aug 23 2007, 11:25 AM
Post #11

That's a great pic spoke.

The end of the cable has a TON of thread space on yours, I wonder if I looked wrong at mine and I actually have more threads than I think...

It really does look like my arm thing is all the way at the back of the threads by that shinier part though. What kind of thing should I use for a spacer? Can I get this thing at lowe's... can i get it stainless? Everything I touch in this car gets converted to stainless.... I have to make sure I dont touch the headers/HE's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
sww914
post Aug 23 2007, 11:28 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146

Was this a problem before you put the new floorboard in?
+Quote Post
purple
post Aug 23 2007, 11:40 AM
Post #13

good call sww...

No, it wasnt.

Call me lame, but I like the look and the feel with the floorboard in. I may just take the stopper out though. I just dont like being able to tread on the wiring harness of the car.

It's a clue as to why the pedal board was gone off the car in the first place though, dontcha think?
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Aug 23 2007, 12:56 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 2,882
Region Association: North East States

I ran into a similar situation years ago with a friend's 914. We added spacers under the adjusting nut which allowed limited clutch functioning. Took the cable off and found the fork adrift signaling a need to pull the transmission to replace the fork cup. We found that the plastic cup in the clutch fork (pivot point) had crushed beyond effectiveness requiring tighting up of the clutch cable beyond the limits of the thread. Did the trick for his problem, not sure if it matches your's.

Anyone else run into this?
+Quote Post
purple
post Aug 23 2007, 01:12 PM
Post #15

Pulled the pedal plate at lunch and found shifting to be quite a bit easier as far as grinding is concerned. It didnt look like it was interfering, but I guess it was somehow.

How large should the inner diameter of this spacer be?

Thanks guys
+Quote Post
73Phoenix20
post Aug 23 2007, 02:01 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 4,283

Just large enough to slide over the threads of the cable end...
+Quote Post
maf914
post Aug 23 2007, 02:56 PM
Post #17

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

You may have it figured out already, but did you check the cable end at the pedal connection? There is a couple of inches of threaded adjustment available at that end. In my case I once connected the cable at the end of the threads at the pedals and resulting cable length was too long to allow adjustment at the clutch arm. So it was back into the pedal connection, which I hate, to shorten the cable. I found that adjusting it to about 1/2 the threaded portion worked fine. I didn't want to fix it by adding spacers at the clutch arm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
purple
post Aug 23 2007, 03:17 PM
Post #18

I hate to sound like a n00b, but how the hell do you get at the connector at the pedal end? I have a wierd car in that the P.O. bedlinered the interior and all the service covers are bedlinered down. Do you hold down the clutch pedal to get to the adjustment at the clevis? Do you have to disconnect the clevis to adjust it? I've gotten bruised ribs from working in that area already, are you saying I get to bruise them some more?
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Aug 23 2007, 07:33 PM
Post #19

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031

All good responses above. However, the first thing you should check is the angle of the throwout bearing arm. Make sure the arm is angled slightly forward. It's common for the pivot point ball and cup to wear allowing the arm to move rearwards and causing you to have to tighten the cable nut to get the slack out.

The problem is that when that happens it messes all the proper angles up and the clutch won't work properly. If that's the case, you may have to pull lthe tranny to replace parts and add shims under the pivot ball.

The object is to have the arm at 90 deg to the pivot ball at half it's travel.......

Here is the angle that the arm should be at.....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
degreeoff
post Aug 23 2007, 07:56 PM
Post #20

I like big butts and I can not lie!

Member No.: 275
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(purple @ Aug 23 2007, 08:59 AM) *

As far as I can tell, the tube is right where it's supposed to be, I cant move it around at all (when I had the shifter out)

NOT to beat a dead horse but also check that the place where the clutch cable EXITS the firewall (under the car) is not dimpled in...that should be a nice FLAT piece of metal...mine didn't show signs of being broken either before I looked there and it had pull inside the car....

Josh
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 08:07 PM