Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> General question about Header/HE design, Why all the curves?
Rav914
post Aug 23 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #1

All-weather fan

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,669
Region Association: None

I have a fairly decent drive home and it always gets me pondering engine and car improvements. I'm convinced my old rusty exhaust system is choking the life out of my 914. Having put SSI HE's and an M&K muffler on my 911, I noticed what an improvement to performance changing one's exhaust can make.

I've looked at all sorts of options for my teener ('74 1.8) and that got me thinking. Why do headers have so many curves and HE's have more subtle bends to them? Couldn't headers just go straight back to the muffler? For a two in and one out muffler. I know there's a reason. And I'm sure it's performanced based. I'd sure like to know. Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DanT
post Aug 23 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #2

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

first of all you want all the tubes to be of equal length, hence the ones towards the rear tend to go towards the front before coming together with the front ones.
second of all the length of the tubes has an impact on HP and torque and what RPMs they come in at. also the length of the tube after the collector has an influence on HP and torque and what RPMs it comes in at.

I am sure someone will come up with a more eloquent response...but thems the basics (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Rav914
post Aug 23 2007, 08:42 PM
Post #3

All-weather fan

Member No.: 7,669

I see...far more complicated than I thought. Thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
JohnM
post Aug 23 2007, 10:50 PM
Post #4

914 enduro driver

Member No.: 2,387

QUOTE(Rav914 @ Aug 23 2007, 07:29 PM) *

I have a fairly decent drive home and it always gets me pondering engine and car improvements. I'm convinced my old rusty exhaust system is choking the life out of my 914. Having put SSI HE's and an M&K muffler on my 911, I noticed what an improvement to performance changing one's exhaust can make.

I've looked at all sorts of options for my teener ('74 1.8) and that got me thinking. Why do headers have so many curves and HE's have more subtle bends to them? Couldn't headers just go straight back to the muffler? For a two in and one out muffler. I know there's a reason. And I'm sure it's performanced based. I'd sure like to know. Thanks.

Stock and SSI HE's are curved for axle vertical range of motion clearance.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 24 2007, 02:21 PM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Aug 23 2007, 06:34 PM) *

but thems the basics (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

the exhaust gases exit the engine resonating. meaning, they move as a wave.
the wavelength changes with the rpm and you can shift the powerband of the engine by using different length headers that match a certain resonance frequency.

the bends are usually in there to archive equal length for the pipes and to clear other items, like axles etc.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Andy
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 10:25 PM