Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heater Troubleshooting, how hard should the blower blow?
swl
post Aug 28 2007, 05:48 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Aug 27 2007, 10:47 PM) *

I'm not sure if this will work but with the engine OFF, turn on your heater fan (ignition switch in the ON position), reach into the fan housing where the engine cooling air intake is and see if you can feel any air. This would definitely indicate missing flaps at the bottom of the fan housing..

Brilliant (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Just in case I'll add the standard caveate. If you have the key on and the motor not running for any length of time it is good practice to disconnect the 12v connection to you coil to protect your points.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Aug 28 2007, 01:15 PM
Post #22

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584
Region Association: None

Ah, good point swl. If done briefly, though, it will be okay.

In fact I just did this test on my POS (deet-dee-dee!). I'm getting a small amount of air blowing out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Even easier method, especially if you have big hands that can't reach into the fan intake or short arms and a big gut in the way, is to remove the timing plug on top of the engine and hold a piece of tissue paper on the hole. If it blows upward then you know those little flaps ain't working too well or not at all.

I already know my flaps are in so-so condition so I expected this. They act as one-way air flow directors so air will travel out of the fan housing but won't flow in, like when the blower turns on.

Now if you'll excuse me, F1 is back on the Speed Channel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
cassidy_bolger
post Sep 1 2007, 12:33 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 5,737

SLITS and Toby nailed it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I have no flaps, no retaining pins, zilch. I went ahead and removed the warm air guides to take a peek. It is a relief to know what the issue is. Now, anyone know if I can buy them? I will start looking into the usual suspects.....

Thanks!
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Sep 2 2007, 12:52 PM
Post #24

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

You should only need the blower is for situations where you've got to keep the engine RPM's low.

The thing that helps heat output is RPM's. Your heat should run you out of the car if you keep the engine wound up. Once the engine gets up to operating temp, keep the RPM's at 3500 and above and you should have plenty of heat.

Having the warm air components in proper working order is definately the place to start. If you keep the engine wound up though, the aux blower and the little anti reversion flappers don't come into play.

The bilge blower looks like a decent idea, but I would prefer to push air through the system vrs pulling it. I have seen a thread on Pelican about adding a second stock blower, so you have one on each side.

914-6's do not have any auxillary blowers, and you get plenty of heat from the stock heater boxes.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 06:56 AM