Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The 914 is about to turn 40 years old!, So, what should we do?
Rusty
post Aug 26 2007, 12:33 AM
Post #1

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

It seems to me that we should start planning a 914 event... for all the various groups of 914 owners around the country to attend.

Not Parade, though we might get a special mention. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

So... it's really not that far off. Any ideas? I think that we can safely avoid any blocks of rooms at a Hilton. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Aug 26 2007, 02:32 AM
Post #2

Best friends

Group: Members
Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

Are we looking at 2010 (based on 1970 being the first model year) or 2009 (based upon when the first production models were actually shipped). It certainly seems like we should commemorate the anniversary!
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 26 2007, 02:23 PM
Post #3

Resident German

Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ThinAir @ Aug 26 2007, 12:32 AM) *

Are we looking at 2010 (based on 1970 being the first model year) or 2009 (based upon when the first production models were actually shipped). It certainly seems like we should commemorate the anniversary!

1969 - 2009 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
JPB
post Aug 26 2007, 02:28 PM
Post #4

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

This could be huge! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I'll get Scotty on the drums, DR Evil and I on the guitars and Sir Andy on the vocals singing some tasty Ramstein toons!
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 26 2007, 07:25 PM
Post #5

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

How about picking one place in the center of the US, and planning one big get together?

We need someplace with some twisty roads.....

Any suggestions?? If we start planning NOW, maybe we can get a bunch of 914 people to come.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 26 2007, 07:50 PM
Post #6

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 26 2007, 07:25 PM) *

How about picking one place in the center of the US, and planning one big get together?

We need someplace with some twisty roads.....

Any suggestions?? If we start planning NOW, maybe we can get a bunch of 914 people to come.

I vote for Cincinnati as a base. Twisty roads to the north, south west & east. Indiana, W Virginia & Kentucky with minutes of Cincy. Oh, and there's Rabbit Hash too! And, several serious tracks in the area if anyone wants to get squirrely!

We have some good people in that area that may wnat to try to pull it off.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Aug 26 2007, 07:54 PM
Post #7

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Unless they're teaching "new geography" in the schools... it's tough for me to imagine Ohio being the center of the country. LOL
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 26 2007, 07:56 PM
Post #8

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

The exact geometric center of the US is in Kansas. But there aren't too many twisties there.

We do need somewhere central, IF we do this, it needs to be somewhere that everyone would feel like they could attend, and not favoring a particular location.

I also found out there is a Stuttgart, Arkansas. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Pat.. are you willing to start organizing it?
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 26 2007, 08:25 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Aug 26 2007, 07:54 PM) *

Unless they're teaching "new geography" in the schools... it's tough for me to imagine Ohio being the center of the country. LOL

No, Ohio (southern Ohio) is not the center of the country. But, it does have the attributes that some are looking for....and it's somewhat close to the center.

Look, I lived in Kansas (the center) for a while. There isn't a twisty in the entire state. It's flat! Oh, I could tell you about things I did in Kansas in the 60's, but that was then & Kansas hasn't changed - it's flat. Don't get me wrong - I loved it, but it was pretty boring.

I suggested Cincy because that's my old stomping grounds. Did innumerable rallies when I lived there (most of my life). Excellent Porsche roads are everywhere in the area. Tours & rallies are so damned much fun (provided the local police are informed).

It was a suggestion, that's all. I'll probably be living there again by the time 2009 arrives, assuming this real estate "bubble" goes away.

Think it would be a good place to have the event. I'm sure others think other places would be better. My 2 cents.
Pat
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 26 2007, 08:39 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 26 2007, 07:56 PM) *

The exact geometric center of the US is in Kansas. But there aren't too many twisties there.

We do need somewhere central, IF we do this, it needs to be somewhere that everyone would feel like they could attend, and not favoring a particular location.

I also found out there is a Stuttgart, Arkansas. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Clay,

When I chaired the '93 Parade concours, I swore that I'd never get "involved" again. In the 20 years prior to that I'd done everything, and I mean everything, that PCA offered. Name it - I did it. Regional president - 4 years, VP - 2 years, newsletter chair - 4 years, rally chair - 1 year (that was disastrous), concours chair - can't even count the times, autocross chair - 2 years. And, then the Parade in '93! In Cincinnati, July, heat & humidity! Twelve months of prep!

Can you spell "burnout"?

After that event, I swore I'd NEVER get involved again, except as a participant. I would NEVER be involved with a concours, unless I could go & show. I would never do anything with rallies, unless I could work a checkpoint. I'd never participate in an auto-x, unless I could just show up & run.

I've more than paid my dues to Porsche, PCA, et al.

Thanks for the offer, but there are better people. And, however they want to make it work is fine with me. Just want to play these days.

Be happy to participate, though. And, I'd love to work a rally checkpoint! That's the one thing left that I haven't done. I'd even provide donuts!
Pat
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Aug 27 2007, 12:30 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 26 2007, 08:56 PM) *

At last, something I know. Stuggart: highest point is about 10 feet higher than it lowest point. Mostly rice farming.
North, above Fayetteville AR at Rogers, AR the elevation is mountainous and lots of lakes and very near the center since Kansas is about 100 miles.

Cooley
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Aug 27 2007, 07:50 AM
Post #12

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif) Hey Mike, good to read ya. Hope all is well.

Yes I am done now and I'll shut up.
+Quote Post
lotus_65
post Aug 27 2007, 09:21 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 3,795
Region Association: Northstar Region

Great idea, could be huge. Here's my input if you want:

For credibility, it would be nice if the PCA and even the factory could be involved. Maybe open to other mid-engine products for additional sponsorship.

A good argument could be made for the Ozark Mountain Region, maybe in the late fall...

But I like the Wisconsin/Minnesota/Illinois/Iowa area for these reasons:
  1. Great roads around the Mississippi and in Wisconsin.
  2. Concentric center of North America, not just the U. S. (insert Maple Leaf here).
  3. Really nice in the fall, like October-ish.
  4. It's near me, and I'll help organize.
Another thought:
Although twisties are great, most of us drive them regularly. I would like to have it at a race track where we can really run if we choose.

Hence, I propose... what if... in a wild dream...

Road America at Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Aug 27 2007, 09:25 AM
Post #14

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984

Only one problem with those locations guys.... a good majority of the members here are from the land of fruits and nuts... otherwise know as Kalifornia.

Would be awfully tough to get the west coasters all the way out here.
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Aug 27 2007, 09:27 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 27 2007, 08:50 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif) Hey Mike, good to read ya. Hope all is well.

Yes I am done now and I'll shut up.

There are MANY MORE and better places for 914's 40th year honors other than a central location USA. Sometimes you gotta drive to have all the fun that everyone thinks up in each of their own mind.

Best place in America is where you know the fun is. Normally which is where each one owning a 914 lives. Do a multi state rounder salute and everyone interested is a final part of the whole thing. North, South, East and West.

Each area SHOULD celebrate, catch hi lights on video and on the BIG DAY 9/14/09 have it all gathered into one big movie for a DVD that each member could own, say for $9.14 with proceeds going to St. Jude Childrens Hospital or something like that. No memorial funds because 914 is about living. Just a personal opinion.

However,
Ramble (term owed to former 914' eers Ed V and John D that 911 is now using) , there has never been a USA Ramble, 914 wise, in the Smokies, that I know of.
West Virginia and PA has some wicked curves too. Guess all states have them.

BTW, thanks for warm greeting via Glendora detour. :-))

Mike Cooley
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Aug 27 2007, 09:34 AM
Post #16

Summer's Commin...

Member No.: 4,611
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Okay out on a limb here, but since the last time I saw Kansas it was flatter then an 11 year old girl, how about Colorado? It is a little more west, but there are some beautiful twisty roads, beautiful Aspen trees turning during September... There is also a lasrge number of 914 owners in the Denver area... Just a thought..
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Aug 27 2007, 04:23 PM
Post #17

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) & I'm interested. Should be in Kansas- dead centre & I've never been there. Also, no altitude sickness for carbed cars.
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Aug 27 2007, 06:31 PM
Post #18

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

How about Missouri or New Mexico. They have mountian twisties
+Quote Post
SGB
post Aug 27 2007, 09:18 PM
Post #19

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

I like Cooley's idea. We could essentially have a big multi-way videoconference call- kept up for two or three days. Feed it some vids of outside events when no one is there to interact, have a big finale dinner, y'know. It can probably all be done over the net. And, we could have some technical malfunctions too!
Everyone has a suggestion close to home, so here is mine:
pilgramage to PCNA in Atlanta to confront NARPicism for the finale time and insist that Porsche recoginze the VW components in the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Aug 28 2007, 01:13 AM
Post #20

Best friends

Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Aug 27 2007, 08:21 AM) *

Hence, I propose... what if... in a wild dream...

Road America at Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin.

I like it. It'll take me about 10 minutes to get the teener hooked up to the rear of the camper van and I'll be ready! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 10:57 AM