Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Progress
mudfoot76
post Sep 9 2007, 09:56 PM
Post #1

Currently teenerless :-(

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,814
Region Association: None

It has been awhile since I've had much time to work on my car, but this weekend I was able to make some progress (catch up here)

I am unable to get the fan shroud off (how is this done?!), but I did get the block off plate for the external cooler and the filter mount taken off. When I got the filter mount off, I found this:
Attached Image

This crud was on the inside face of the filter mount, and as you can see in this picture, it was also partially obstructing the oil passages:
Attached Image

I peeled some of that out of the one opening, but left the other alone. So, what is that stuff, and shouldn't there be a gasket behind this part instead of this gray crud? Could some of this stuff become dislodged and be the source of the problem?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Sep 10 2007, 07:40 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Nasty looking stuff! Probably some kind of gasket sealer.

As far as the fan shroud is concerned, My guess is you missed a screw somewhere. There is at least 1 that can be easily missed. There are 2 dowel pins for locating and alignment. These may be a little stuck.
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Sep 10 2007, 07:44 AM
Post #3

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

QUOTE(mudfoot76 @ Sep 9 2007, 08:56 PM) *

It has been awhile since I've had much time to work on my car, but this weekend I was able to make some progress (catch up here)

I am unable to get the fan shroud off (how is this done?!), but I did get the block off plate for the external cooler and the filter mount taken off. When I got the filter mount off, I found this:
Attached Image

Ebola virus?

If it got loose it could do some damage.
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Sep 10 2007, 09:36 AM
Post #4

Currently teenerless :-(

Member No.: 1,814

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 10 2007, 09:44 AM) *

Ebola virus?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) But seriously, what is that stuff and shouldn't there be a gasket behind that part?

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 10 2007, 09:44 AM) *

If it got loose it could do some damage.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
I know and I am afraid. What is not clear to me is the path of oil flow from the filter housing. Which port goes back into the engine? If I was able to generate a sufficient vacuum, maybe I could pull other potential junk out?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 05:58 AM