Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Correct Rear Emblem(s)
rigglet
post Sep 13 2007, 05:27 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,272
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm looking for some information on the correct emblems that should be on my '71 /4. Currently it only have the "914" rear emblem, but should it also have the "1.7" emblem? Also, what color should it be? I know there are black and gold (mine is gold currently).

I'm not a full CW, but I hope to be one some day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

While I'm on the topic, anyone know where I can get information on what the car came with? I don't have a lot of information to go off of, so it may be difficult. But if someone has a resource for what was "standard" on a '71 I could start with that.

Thanks all!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Sep 13 2007, 06:46 AM
Post #2

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

You need to shell out $100.00+ to Porche Cars North America for a "COA" (certificate of authenticity) to get most of the info you need. Rear emblems are metal (gold, silver & rare black) & plastic (black). Early cars like your 71 are either going to be silver or gold, not black & not black plastic. As for the 1.7 I defer to someone with more knowledge than myself... Pat?
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Sep 13 2007, 09:10 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

Troy,
To begin, let me ask if your car has the appearance group (chrome bumpers, fog lights, vinyl roll bar cover, leather s/w)?
As to the rear emblem, the only '71/4 that I can recall had only the 914 insignia on the back and the badge was silver(the car was Irish green). I remember the car because I competed against it in autocross back in 1976/77. Thirty years ago we were not paying much attention to originality, so I don't know if the silver metal emblem was correct for MY 1971.
If you can post some pictures of your car, I'm sure the CW nazis can criticize it and pick it apart (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Seriously, we'll be able to offer some helpful information as to what should be on/with your car as it was originally manufactured.

Paul
+Quote Post
rigglet
post Sep 13 2007, 10:15 AM
Post #4

My car does have the appearance package. Now whether this was on the car from the factory or not is up for debate. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This car has been gone through in the past, so I am not sure what has been added. Also you will notice that things are missing as well (side markers, side mirror, etc). Unfortunately I only have pictures of the outside available here at work. But hopefully it will create a starting point. I will add pictures of the interior later. Also, this car will be going through a complete teardown next fall (I want to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) it for at least a little while) because as you can see it is a bit rough and does have a few "minor" rust issues I need to deal with.

OK....blast away!!!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rigglet
post Sep 13 2007, 10:17 AM
Post #5

One more....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Sep 13 2007, 10:47 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Troy,
It looks pretty good in the pictures.

First, the color black (code L041) would be approriate to a MY 1971. To find out if the color is the original color, check the chassis/color tag in the front door jamb, on the drivers' side.
As previously stated, you can get a Porsche CoA to determine the primary equipment and color configuration for your 914. That will also provide an engine # so that you will be able to tell if you have the original engine in the car.
The Pedrini alloys on the car were optional in 1971, so they are correct for your MY.
The chrome bumper on the front is a 1974 piece as evidenced by the black "guards' or "tits" on them.
Assuming that your car is a USA-spec model, yes, the front fenders should have side marker lights on them if you want to be authentic.

BTW, have you registered your VIN and color (L041)/Black on the 914 Info page so that the moderators can add you to our 914 owners list?

Paul
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Sep 13 2007, 11:05 AM
Post #7

The front bumper could also be a 73. I don't think the rear bumper is a 71 & has been replaced as well. My mistake. Muffler can't be stock w/ that tailpipe. Metal strips, 2, seem to be missing from the ends of the top of the targa bar. Looks clean (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by Johny Blackstain: Sep 13 2007, 11:30 AM
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Sep 13 2007, 11:24 AM
Post #8

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

Here is an original '71, however no appearance group. Notice rear bumper is the later style (early "square" indent was '70 only) and no 1.7. Gold is correct for the "914" badge.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
davep
post Sep 13 2007, 04:10 PM
Post #9

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

914/4 from 1970 through 1972 had only a gold 914 between the taillights. The North American cars also had gold PORSCHE letters on the engine grille.
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Sep 13 2007, 05:47 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(davep @ Sep 13 2007, 02:10 PM) *

914/4 from 1970 through 1972 had only a gold 914 between the taillights.

Is that absolute, positive, certain, infallible, indisputable and irrefutable?
I suppose the existence of "silver" badged MY '71s could be attributable to R&R collision damage similar to the replacement of early "square" rear bumpers with the later design. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Paul
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Sep 13 2007, 08:25 PM
Post #11

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 13 2007, 05:47 PM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Sep 13 2007, 02:10 PM) *

914/4 from 1970 through 1972 had only a gold 914 between the taillights.

Is that absolute, positive, certain, infallible, indisputable and irrefutable?
I suppose the existence of "silver" badged MY '71s could be attributable to R&R collision damage similar to the replacement of early "square" rear bumpers with the later design. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Paul

I too have seen many (if not all) 71 914's with "silver" script.

If all 70-72 models were equipped with gold script, and those thereafter with black script, where did the silver script come from?
Pat
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Sep 13 2007, 08:51 PM
Post #12

Interesting. B. Johnson does not mention silver in his book. Says gold '70-'72. Then black anodized aluminum in '73 (now we have the 1.7 and 2.0 in aluminum since there were two engines), black plastic in '74-'75 and vinyl in '76.
While the letters on the engine grill changed to silver, I don't recall seeing silver on the rear panel. Although I have seen worn black anodized that looks silver.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Sep 13 2007, 09:05 PM
Post #13

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

Brett's book has a number of errors in it. Plus, he didn't take into consideration mid and multi-mid year changes in the early 914's.

It's a good basic source, but this forum is better!
Pat
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Sep 13 2007, 09:16 PM
Post #14

I forgot about the 76 stickers. Should go on a GT clone sans fog light for lighter weight... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Sep 13 2007, 09:37 PM
Post #15

I checked an '82 Stoddard catalog and PET. Neither mention anything but gold and black for the "914" badge.
+Quote Post
P-914
post Sep 13 2007, 10:57 PM
Post #16

Official Member: Levitating 914 Club

Member No.: 8,114

Great topic. I am currently working on an emblem section for my website. What I have found to date is as follows (and I am only talking about US 914 & 914/6s here...)

1970-1972 model years had only the gold anodized aluminum "914" emblem and grille letters. Although I have seen two of these early models with a silver (almost chrome-like) anodized finish, closer inspection revealed that they were likely replacements (both had aftermarket speed nuts securing them).

1973 model year 914s had at least two variants of the 914 emblem:
*"black" anodized aluminum (which was a light purple tint when held at certain angles and more gray-black at other angles)
*black painted aluminum (semi-gloss, very semi)

Also, the 1973 models had an engine size emblem (1.7 or 2.0) in the corresponding colors/materials.

Early 1974 2.0L models had either the black-painted aluminum or black plastic "914" & "2.0" emblems

Mid 1974-1975 2.0L models had black plastic emblems, as did all 1974-1975 1.8L models

1976 had the black decals (the switch to the decal may have actually occurred near the end of the 1975 model year... still checking that).

1973-1974 engine grille letters were all shiny silver-chrome anodized aluminum.
1975-1976 engine grille letters were shiny silver-chrome plastic.

914-6 was gold anodized aluminum.

Anyway, that is my current understanding. If anyone has better information (and I'm sure this crowd does), please let me know (preferably before I add all this to my site).
+Quote Post
TedK
post Sep 13 2007, 11:03 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 7,961

I wonder if the gold would wear down to the metal over time?? I have never seen a badge that looked like gold giving way to silver. I just ordered gold badging(hood letters missing anyway) based on Dr. Johnson's book and info from this forum. My car currently has silver(aluminum) but I am going with gold. Hope its correct.

Ted K
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Sep 13 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #18

I have seen/owned black painted aluminum 914 badges. However, I tend to think they were painted by their owners (when the black anodizing fades to gray as it does), not the factory.

No doubt that the six came with gold all around. Ted K did right.
+Quote Post
P-914
post Sep 13 2007, 11:23 PM
Post #19

Official Member: Levitating 914 Club

Member No.: 8,114

The factory black-painted aluminum badge on the 1973 models has no anodizing (the the back of the badge is not painted, and it is bare aluminum).
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Sep 13 2007, 11:35 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

In my original Porsche 914 parts book, it lists chrome Porsche letters for MY 73 AND 74. I am assuming the "gold-colored" are for previous years.

The "914" badge is listed as black for MY 73 and 74, and "gold insignia" is listed with a part #, and "insignia" (only), (I'm guessing silver) is listed with a different part #.

The above information and my own recollection lead me to believe that silver 914 emblems were on an earlier model year 914.

As a footnote, all the above parts were spec'd as "USA".

Paul
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 02:50 AM