Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rocker Panel Question, what to do
billd
post Sep 24 2007, 12:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,145

I've got my front flares riveted on and the rears Cleco-ed in place and have discovered that the FG rocker panels I was planning to install are too short by about 1.5 inches. This is at least in part due to the fact that I aligned the front flares with the front of the front wheel wells - which centered the wheels in the flares. Since the wheel openings in the flares are smaller than the original openings in the fenders, this placed the rear edge of the opening in the flare about an inch ahead of the edge of the original opening. In any case, I'm trying to decide what to do about rockers and am considering the following options:

1. Do nothing - run the car without rockers. After all, they weigh something and don't make the car any faster.

2. (1) but paint the rocker area flat black so no one will notice.

3. Install the FG rockers without mod - misaligned with the flares at the rear by 1.5 inches (or at both ends by .75 inches) - this will look bad.

4. Sell these rockers and get unflared FG rockers (like the steel ones I sold) where the misalignment will be less noticable.

5. Cut the rear ends off the rockers and install the shortened rockers aligned at the front. I'm not sure how this will look.

6. Lengthen the rockers. Cut them in the middle, space the two ends apart 1.5 inches and apply FG cloth and resin to connect the pieces. This will be *a lot* of work.

Right now, I'm strongly leaning toward (1) - since I want to spend more time driving and less time fabricating. Anyone have any advice?

----Bill

PS. I will note that the Hamilton Racing smurfmobile runs without rockers.

PPS. If any of you are installing flares, align them with the rear of the front wheel well and the front of the rear wheel well.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 04:38 PM