Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A week in Aircooled Heaven, I rebuilding my engine At Jake's
DNHunt
post Sep 24 2007, 09:48 PM
Post #1

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Group: Members
Member No.: 598

Yep, what brought me to Atlanta was the opportunity to rebuild my engine in Jake's shop. I shipped it back here about a month ago. We put the details together a few months ago.

I reported at 0600 as I was instructed to do. My stuff had been uncrated and was at a stainless bench. I got a small tour and saw some of the stuff they were working on. Soon enough it was time to get to work. My stuff must have gotten wet in transit because there was surface rust on some of the steel parts. I started in cleaning up. I'm convinced most of engine building is cleaning. Things went well and I met everyone as they came in. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. As you can imagine I had to ask for help quite often.

After an hour or so, I started measuring the big ends of the rods. They were pretty good and we determined the clearance was fine. Ok, this isn't so hard. I assembled the crankshaft by lunch. I had the bearings on right, slipped the cam gear on with just a little persuasion. I was starting to feel real good, even a little cocky, joking with the guys and really enjoying it. Jake thought I'd get a shortblock together!

Attached Image

After lunch I got the case ready to assemble. I tried in the cam and Brent thought it was really good So, was ready to load the left side of the case.

Attached Image

Well, you know what's coming. This was entirely too easy. It started with a few small things. The oil pump showed some wear. Ok, I'll get a new oil pump no biggy. Jake wanted me to match port the inlet for the oil pump so I went and ground it out. Jake looked at it and I left a barb so, I ground and smoothed that. I'd filed abit of the cam gear on the crankshaht to clean it up. I knew wasn't perfect but, I thought it would go. Brent came over to try and turn it and it went for a bit then clunk. What's that?. Brent said cam gear. Utoh! We worked with it a bit but, it wasn't right and it really wasn't getting any better. Brent pressed off the gear and I found an old one to cleanup to replace the one I fuched pulling with a gear puller. An hour later we're ready to put the gear on the crank. I put the hot gear on and Brent says "Is the gear lined up with the key?" I say "Yep" It doesnt slip on and when he persuades it the key starts to come out. Not lined up. Crap

Attached Image

When it cooled off he pressed it again. Well, third time was the charm. About then he left and said I could stay if I wanted. I thought I would make sure everything rotated and he said "You could get it to the short block". Message received so I stayed until 9.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Sep 24 2007, 09:52 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

It's a short block (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Gawd I'm tired

Dave
+Quote Post
Zimms
post Sep 24 2007, 09:54 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,565
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Dave,

Did you buy a 2270 kit when you first upgraded to a 2270 & did you do it in your garage if so? I am planning to go a similar route with a 2270 and MS, but have some rust and body work to do before I even think of allocating funds towards and engine.

Thanks,

Mark
+Quote Post
John
post Sep 24 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #4

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

You were at Jakes?

What the heck is this?

I cant believe you had that anywhere near an engine.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 25 2007, 06:01 AM
Post #5

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Now Dave knows what a 15 hour day is like in Heaven... Tomorrow night I'll pull an all nighter and will see if he can put in a solid 20!!

Dave has been plagued with stupid issues that are absolutely not possibly explained with his engine kit. Dave bought this kit in 2004, before my kit program was refined at the retail level it is now.

Because Dave has had the same issues and new issues continued to pop up I invited him to do two things:
1- Send me the engine and I would reassemble and test it for him FREE OF CHARGE.

2- Allow him to come into my world and assemble it under our watchful eyes and dyno it afterward.

Dave has been an outstanding, patient and absolutely dedicated customer since day one and I will go out of my way to ensure someone like him who is determined ends up getting as much of my assistance as possible when they have an issue.

I have never allowed anyone other than my absolute closest friends to assemble engines here, or even come into the shop and thats because we are very busy and not very social when the clock is ticking. When I met Dave at the end of my cross country trip in 2006 I wanted to help him sort these issues he had been having even more than ever and when he hit his last issue thats when I made the invite for him to bring the engine back home and get the problem taken care of.

BTW- Dave dug that adjustable wrenc out of the bottom drawer of my tool box, I keep it around for doing plumbing work at the shop and had it handy because I had to inastall a water pressure regulator on the new dyno last week :-))
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Sep 25 2007, 07:42 AM
Post #6

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

very very cool - best to you all!

jim
+Quote Post
URY914
post Sep 25 2007, 09:09 AM
Post #7

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

One day I hope to go to Heaven too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Sep 25 2007, 09:18 AM
Post #8

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Jake it looks a lot more crowded in the shop than when I was there 2 years ago. Of course ya'll were doing field day.

Dave Good luck in this engine build and may it be your final iteration of the 2270 for your car.
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Sep 25 2007, 09:22 AM
Post #9

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

QUOTE(John @ Sep 24 2007, 09:14 PM) *

You were at Jakes?

What the heck is this?

I cant believe you had that anywhere near an engine.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

An old wrench told me once "Any tool is the 'Right' tool...If it works.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 25 2007, 09:28 AM
Post #10

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

shop area in my garage will be cleaned and sanitized by the time you get home. check with the boss and block out the first wed you have off. i KNOW your weekends will full of non-914 activities for the next year or so. very cool dave. i'll talk to you when you get home. if you should need a pick up at sea-tac, have betsy call me with the flight details and i'll come get you.

k
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 25 2007, 11:16 AM
Post #11

Engine Surgeon

This is our busiest time of the year here at the shop, so things are cluttered much more than I like. I am doing Pinzgauer engine development in the lab right behind where Dave is working and that is making for even more clutter.

Dave has already learned so many tricks... So far today he has used both an oven and a frezer during cylinder and piston assembly!

According to conventional; wisdom his engine should never even run :-)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 25 2007, 11:28 AM
Post #12

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

In part because of the problems Dave had, and the support Jake gave him, I have a Raby 2270 kit in my car. I liked the concept of a dyno tested and road tested combo. I just didn't know about Jake...

The support Dave got and is getting, pretty much made my decision.

But, I have to say, if given the opportunity Dave got, have Jake assemble it or do it myself under Jake's watchful eye. I would let Jake do it. Dave is one stubborn dude. He is not going to let that engine beat him.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 25 2007, 12:29 PM
Post #13

Engine Surgeon

Dave isn't stubborn- he is determined and thats why he is in my shop right now.

I do my best to help anyone that buys from us of course if Dave would have been the type to yell, scream and cuss he would have been on his own for the past 3.5 years without any support (I hate people like that and avoid them at all costs!)

Lets not forget the significant outlay of time and support that Charles from LN Engineering has put into this very odd, very unexplained one of a kind situation. Charles has "ate" two sets of cylinders, replating, numerous ring sets and even paid serious bucks in consulting with JE Pistons to figure out this issue.

So far Charles is in the project more than I am... Probably about 5K as a good estimate.

I gave Dave every opportunity to get our free labor, but he was too dedicated to care.
+Quote Post
toon1
post Sep 25 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 5,022

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 25 2007, 10:16 AM) *

This is our busiest time of the year here at the shop, so things are cluttered much more than I like. I am doing Pinzgauer engine development in the lab right behind where Dave is working and that is making for even more clutter.

Dave has already learned so many tricks... So far today he has used both an oven and a frezer during cylinder and piston assembly!

An oven and a freezer to asseble pistons and cyls.!? do tell...

I am not familliar with the probs. Dave had with the motor, what were they?

what was found to be wrong and how is it getting fixed?
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Sep 25 2007, 02:25 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(toon1 @ Sep 25 2007, 01:11 PM) *

You take the nachos out of the oven and the pepperment schnapps out of the freezer. Once consumed, proceed with assembly of cylinder and piston. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Sep 25 2007, 02:28 PM
Post #16

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(toon1 @ Sep 25 2007, 04:11 PM) *

An oven expands the cylinders, a freezer shrinks the pistons and the rings go in at room temp? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
brer
post Sep 25 2007, 02:31 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,736

i'd put my money on either the piston pin,
or the nachos.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 25 2007, 02:37 PM
Post #18

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Wrist pin is pretty likely.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Sep 25 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #19

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Is that a metric crescent wrench?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Sep 25 2007, 02:45 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 25 2007, 01:42 PM) *

Is that a metric crescent wrench?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

No-no, this is very cool...It works for eather! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post

11 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:15 PM