Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> F Prepared (That's a wrap) Solo II Nationals, 2nd place for Fordahl
Joe Ricard
post Sep 25 2007, 03:39 PM
Post #1

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Group: Members
Member No.: 92

http://www.scca.com/documents/resultfiles/...t2TWWEfinal.pdf

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Looks like Greg pulled it toether and got himself a 2nd place trophy. JJ just missed by a little bit.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post Sep 25 2007, 08:31 PM
Post #2

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

How do you get a class win run alone.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Actualy Jeny is a hell of a driver, I run against her and her father 5-8 times a year, and her A-mod car I have only beaten once. It does not do well on super tight courses, where my 914 tends to shine. I need more HP really torque.

Go guys go, good showing for hte 914 crowd.

Can't wait to see how the other locals do this year.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Sep 28 2007, 06:14 PM
Post #3

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

Noticed how many of the fast drivers from the west. Were missing from nationals. Its too bad they don't hold this event out west occasionally
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Sep 28 2007, 07:57 PM
Post #4

CUMONIWANNARACEU

WTF are you talking about. Kansas is pretty much in the middle so EVERYBODY can attend.

If people didn't show it's thier own choice.

Grant I seriously doubt that you have any idea of what going fast really is.

SCCA Nationals is for the fastest of the fast to gather and find out who has what it takes to be the fastest SOLO II driver in the land.

Certainly didn't see your name on the list.

+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Sep 29 2007, 10:30 AM
Post #5

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

It looks like Fordahl screwed the pooch on the first day.
You don't spot an 11 or now 12 time national champ 2 sec or so with any expectation of beating him.....tho Fordahl had the best class time on the 2nd day.
I've watched Fordahl drive. It's pretty fuckin' incredible (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Sep 29 2007, 01:25 PM
Post #6

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Sep 28 2007, 06:57 PM) *

WTF are you talking about. Kansas is pretty much in the middle so EVERYBODY can attend.

If people didn't show it's thier own choice.

Grant I seriously doubt that you have any idea of what going fast really is.

SCCA Nationals is for the fastest of the fast to gather and find out who has what it takes to be the fastest SOLO II driver in the land.

Certainly didn't see your name on the list.

This has nothing to do about me. There just arent many people who are willing to drive all the way to Kanas.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Sep 29 2007, 07:44 PM
Post #7

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 29 2007, 12:25 PM) *

This has nothing to do about me. There just arent many people who are willing to drive all the way to Kanas.

Ayup, only about 1162 AX weenies.....almost as good as GGR, eh?
The view from the location of your head is pretty narrow, eh?
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Sep 29 2007, 08:35 PM
Post #8

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Can't see through his affliction of Cranial rectumitis

1162 entrants would also equal a sell out. that would be the limit number of entrants there was near 50 people on the waiting / standby list. maybe they were the peeps from GGR.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Sep 30 2007, 02:40 AM
Post #9

Arrrrhhhh!

Dear JP and Joe,

I'm just saying youre not observing all of the top driving talent at Solo Nats who are unwilling to drive to Topeka.

Something else that has always seemed strange to me is that criteria for Solo II Nats is sign up early and just show up. What credible sport doesnt have limited attendence to those who are truly qualified at a regional level. This practice dilutes the competiton in my book, but what do I know?

Funnier yet to me are the two guys that hype this event as the holy grail motorsports dont even show up? WTF? I truly expected to see our two great hopes "racing" at this prestigious event.

...and JP whats up with that guy with that stockish CSP class MX5 that always kicks your car's butt in local events? He isnt even in the running for the podium at Nats. He was more than 2 seconds off the pace of the fast drivers in CSP.

You two really need to get out to Nor Cal sometime as some of us lesser drivers could really use your help in providing some top notch AX driving instruction to us slow pokes. I'm sure with some more practice over the years and with your tutelage I might approach the speed that you two do in these skillful cone dodging events. It is a dream of mine to one day drive cross country to a dusty parking lot in Topeka to do battle with thousands of the "best" drivers from around the country. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

+Quote Post
JPB
post Sep 30 2007, 04:20 AM
Post #10

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

I f I went, I'd be the fastest because I'ma craaaaazyboy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Sep 30 2007, 04:22 AM
Post #11

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 30 2007, 01:40 AM) *

total drivel not worth repeating

Marvelous "spin" to cover your ignorance.... typical of your replies when your crap is shown to be off the wall BS.

CA was and has been well represented at the nationals.....but since you don't know them, they must be shit, eh? The Bauer/ Daniels pair finshed 7 & 8.......beaten by old Miatas,(3 of which were from CA) but you have no idea why, do you....I do. I also know why your car pushes since you bought them trick slicks/wheels, do you?
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Sep 30 2007, 06:32 AM
Post #12

CUMONIWANNARACEU

I do. I also know why your car pushes since you bought them trick slicks/wheels, do you?

Because he needs a big four instead of a six?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Sep 30 2007, 12:09 PM
Post #13

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 30 2007, 03:22 AM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 30 2007, 01:40 AM) *

total drivel not worth repeating

Marvelous "spin" to cover your ignorance.... typical of your replies when your crap is shown to be off the wall BS.

CA was and has been well represented at the nationals.....but since you don't know them, they must be shit, eh? The Bauer/ Daniels pair finshed 7 & 8.......beaten by old Miatas,(3 of which were from CA) but you have no idea why, do you....I do. I also know why your car pushes since you bought them trick slicks/wheels, do you?

JP

Thats interesting, several of the top SFR SCCA guys I have watched drive were not there? A couple of our slower drivers were there. SFR was not well represented. And some very fast Southern California drivers were absent as well. I'm just saying not all top drivers compete in Solo do to the sports lack of prestige. Again who would want to drive cross country to Kansas for a AX other than a true nutter?

And clearly our two top 914world AX drivers were not motivated enough to plan for the event and instead left motor rebuilds for the time that they could be going for the cone dodging glory!

I am still trying to figure out how that poorly sorted CSP MX5 beats a master of car setup like you in your E Mod car. Perhaps you just havent figured out your ground effects yet? Or perhaps you need to go to those faster DOT tires? Oh it must be the engine.

Unfortunately my car will never turn well in AX as I dont have the energy to set the car up for the few AX events I show up to in the 914. You keep forgetting my 914 is a track car that has perfectly nueteral handling. I spend over 95% of my driving time on the track where the car performs quite well with no understeer.

Again hope you can get down here sometime to help me out with this incredibly complicated sport of autocrossing.
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Sep 30 2007, 01:23 PM
Post #14

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

grant, you mean there's no qualifying to go to nationals? i don't know much about autocross competition. i would have just assumed that participants would have to earn points (or something) to be qualified to participate.

To drive 30 hours for a few minutes of seat time where anyone can show up seems a little... crazy. but i know that enough people take it seriously enough to ensure deep talent pools.

I have a lot of respect for the sport, but personally, none of the people I've met who have an "idea of what going fast really is" are still active AXers.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Sep 30 2007, 06:48 PM
Post #15

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Sep 30 2007, 12:23 PM) *

grant, you mean there's no qualifying to go to nationals? i don't know much about autocross competition. i would have just assumed that participants would have to earn points (or something) to be qualified to participate.

To drive 30 hours for a few minutes of seat time where anyone can show up seems a little... crazy. but i know that enough people take it seriously enough to ensure deep talent pools.

I have a lot of respect for the sport, but personally, none of the people I've met who have an "idea of what going fast really is" are still active AXers.

Nope just sign up, tow your car nearly 2000 miles to Topeka and youre competing at a "national" level. It is sort of cool in that you could show up to a poorly attended class and likely have a spitting chance at a podium placing.

And you know me I have little respect for the sport and put it up there with amatuer bowling. I just cant take cone dodging too seriously. I certainly try to take it serious when I'm out driving and its great fun. I also have utmost respect for everyone that is giving it their best (even JP (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ), but I have a hard time with people who take the "sport" too seriously. Did I mention that I placed 7th in amatuer bowling championship once as a teenager? I thnk bowling and AX share a lot of similarities when taking a zen perspective.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Sep 30 2007, 10:37 PM
Post #16

Irrelevant old fart

Yeah, yeah....
Lemmeno next time you're out of the country so's I can go to NoCal for an AX.
I blew it this weekend.
+Quote Post
Richard Casto
post Oct 1 2007, 10:25 AM
Post #17

Blue Sky Motorsports, LLC

Member No.: 4,523
Region Association: South East States

I usually try to stay out of the flame war threads, but this is drving me nuts!

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 30 2007, 02:09 PM) *
Again who would want to drive cross country to Kansas for a AX other than a true nutter?

Someone who is looking for competition. Specially at an event that draws people from all across the country.

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Sep 30 2007, 03:23 PM) *
i don't know much about autocross competition. i would have just assumed that participants would have to earn points (or something) to be qualified to participate.

If the sport was popular enough that an "open to all who shows up" event like Nationals produced a flood of competitors, then they would probably do something to limit entry such as via a points system. But it is not a problem yet. So autocrossing (in general) is able to support two distinct groups. Those who take it VERY seriously and those who just want to show up and have some fun. At Nationals, you tend to have less of the later, but you may still have some people who like to show up and measure themselves against better drivers.

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Sep 30 2007, 03:23 PM) *
but i know that enough people take it seriously enough to ensure deep talent pools.

That is the key point. You are going to have people show up who have little chance of winning at their local level let alone at the national level. But you are also going to get a number of drivers who are the best or nearly so in the sport. So the point is you measure yourself against the top of the list and not the bottom.

Sure there are going to be some people who are very good (maybe even the best in their class) who don't show up for some reason (including length of drive). But for those who don't show up, they have taken themselves out of the equation and including them in the mix (driver X would have beat driver Y if he had attended) is pure bench racing. While actually showing up and driving is the real deal.

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 30 2007, 08:48 PM) *

It is sort of cool in that you could show up to a poorly attended class and likely have a spitting chance at a podium placing.

If you are a good driver, can you potentially cherry pick (i.e. purposely driving in a class with low attendence)? Sure you can. If you are good enough to cherry pick and easily win, then you have just decided you like to stroke your own ego and would rather be a big fish in a small pond vs. measuring yourself elsewhere.

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 30 2007, 08:48 PM) *
And you know me I have little respect for the sport and put it up there with amatuer bowling. I just cant take cone dodging too seriously. I certainly try to take it serious when I'm out driving and its great fun. I also have utmost respect for everyone that is giving it their best (even JP (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ), but I have a hard time with people who take the "sport" too seriously. Did I mention that I placed 7th in amatuer bowling championship once as a teenager? I thnk bowling and AX share a lot of similarities when taking a zen perspective.

There are plenty of sports "I don't get" (Curling anyone?). You mention bowling. I bowl maybe once every few years and have fun doing it. I also have no idea why some people love it as much as they do. However they obviously get something more out of it than I do and I respect their enthusiasm and skill. I don't think that just because I don't enjoy the top level of the sport that there is less value in their accomplishments.

+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Oct 1 2007, 12:01 PM
Post #18

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Oct 1 2007, 09:25 AM) *

There are plenty of sports "I don't get" (Curling anyone?).

But even Curling takes their national championships seriously and they have regional events to qualify. They also have world championships and Olympic contests. http://www.usacurl.org/usacurl/

Curling also gets better sponsorship and TV airtime than SCCA Solo II.

I'm trying to think of serious sports that dont have qualifying for their national Championship events and come up empty. I'm sure there must be some?

I think I have more of an issue with poor SCCA promotion and management of Solo II series than anything. Why not treat the sport as something legitmate? Put some real standards in place and attract a much larger base of excellent driving talent? Then hold a real national championship with regional qualifying events.

I can garuntee if there was more commercial recognition of Solo II as a serious and popular motorsport that much better drivers would start to emerge and change the competitive dynamic of the sport. In looking at what top national Solo II amatuer drivers garner I know I made more in sponsorship as an average amatuer competive cyclist. I was actually provided with all equipment, travel, meals, lodging and even made money at the races and I was only a regional level rider.

+Quote Post
Richard Casto
post Oct 1 2007, 12:43 PM
Post #19

Blue Sky Motorsports, LLC

Member No.: 4,523
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 1 2007, 02:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Oct 1 2007, 09:25 AM) *

There are plenty of sports "I don't get" (Curling anyone?).

But even Curling takes their national championships seriously and they have regional events to qualify. They also have world championships and Olympic contests. http://www.usacurl.org/usacurl/

Curling also gets better sponsorship and TV airtime than SCCA Solo II.

I'm trying to think of serious sports that dont have qualifying for their national Championship events and come up empty. I'm sure there must be some?

I think I have more of an issue with poor SCCA promotion and management of Solo II series than anything. Why not treat the sport as something legitmate? Put some real standards in place and attract a much larger base of excellent driving talent? Then hold a real national championship with regional qualifying events.

I can garuntee if there was more commercial recognition of Solo II as a serious and popular motorsport that much better drivers would start to emerge and change the competitive dynamic of the sport. In looking at what top national Solo II amatuer drivers garner I know I made more in sponsorship as an average amatuer competive cyclist. I was actually provided with all equipment, travel, meals, lodging and even made money at the races and I was only a regional level rider.

I don't follow the politics of it, but it seems that complaints about the lack of promotion and management on the SCCA side are a common. So you are probably preaching to the choir on that one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

And I would agree that if the sport was bigger than it is today, the overall quality of participants would increase. Both in both bringing up the level of existing participants as well as bringing new participants to the sport.
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Oct 1 2007, 10:53 PM
Post #20

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

not to add fuel to the fire, but i suppose the argument is whether or not a sport could have a top level if anyone can compete. to me, the top level of solo II is club racing run-offs.

as for solo II becoming commercially recognized... that doesn't make any sense to me at all. i think it works better the way it is now.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 02:20 PM