Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> F Prepared (That's a wrap) Solo II Nationals, 2nd place for Fordahl
grantsfo
post Oct 1 2007, 11:21 PM
Post #21

Arrrrhhhh!

Group: Members
Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 1 2007, 09:53 PM)

not to add fuel to the fire, but i suppose the argument is whether or not a sport could have a top level if anyone can compete. to me, the top level of solo II is club racing run-offs.

as for solo II becoming commercially recognized... that doesn't make any sense to me at all. i think it works better the way it is now.

I just know I'm not driving 1900 miles in my stinky old truck with 914 in tow to drive in Topeka regardless of the events status. Now put it in Monterey or Sonoma where I can go wine and cheese tasting after the event and I might show up. ...Why doesn't this site have a whine and cheese avatar? It could be named after me.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 2 2007, 02:06 AM
Post #22

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 1 2007, 08:53 PM) *
to me, the top level of solo II is club racing run-offs.

Now that I simply do not get. Solo II, autoX, has almost nothing to do with the run-offs, which are wheel-to-wheel racing. I know those who insist that big-track DEs and "track days" have nothing at all to do with W2W, but I don't really buy that.

Still, the skill set is somewhat different between autoX and W2W, so I fail to understand why the one would be the top level of the other.

--DD
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Oct 2 2007, 08:55 PM
Post #23

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

you're right, of course, with the different skills and such -- my only point is that AX, despite a handful of truly dedicated competitors, is truly a "stepping-stone" motorsport. same reason it will never have significant commercial recognition.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Oct 2 2007, 10:46 PM
Post #24

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 2 2007, 07:55 PM) *

you're right, of course, with the different skills and such -- my only point is that AX, despite a handful of truly dedicated competitors, is truly a "stepping-stone" motorsport. same reason it will never have significant commercial recognition.

Have many of the top Solo drivers used this venue as a stepping stone? To me it seems same faces show up year after year in some classes.
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Oct 3 2007, 11:39 AM
Post #25

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 2 2007, 08:46 PM) *

Have many of the top Solo drivers used this venue as a stepping stone? To me it seems same faces show up year after year in some classes.

Do these names sound familiar? All started dodging cones, and are now currently successful professional road racers:

Randy Pobst
Jeff Altenburg
Jason Siani
Neal Sapp

These are just a few that come to mind, I'm sure there are more...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Oct 3 2007, 11:42 AM
Post #26

Long term tinkerer...

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 2 2007, 06:55 PM) *

The reason is doesn't get big commercial recognition is simply that no one has figured out how to a) make a format that can be exciting to watch as a spectator, and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) convince sponsors to fund it to the level needed for regular TV broadcasts.

It's grassroots, and for most drivers, that's enough. The few who want to continue up the food chain tend to do so with considerable success.

-Josh2
+Quote Post
Richard Casto
post Oct 3 2007, 12:17 PM
Post #27

Blue Sky Motorsports, LLC

Member No.: 4,523
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 2 2007, 10:55 PM) *

I don't think that top competitors view it that way. There are plenty of people who started out with AX and then moved onto other stuff, but that is most likely because AX is so easy to start doing. But I would bet that most of the top drivers continue to AX year after year and have no intent on moving onto wheel to wheel racing. It "can" be a stepping stone as car control skills learned on AX are not wasted when you move to wheel to wheel.

I do think that the entry level aspect (which I think is sort of what you are saying as far as stepping stone) does hurt it as far as being a "bigger" sport. But there are other factors as well. I think one of the biggest is that it just is not a good spectator sport. "Pro solo" makes it a bit more consumable as a spectator and to take it to the next level it would have to be something like cross over courses in stadiums as used by the European Race of Champions. But in doing all of this, it quits being AX and becomes something else. So traditional AX ends up staying just like it is today.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Oct 3 2007, 12:57 PM
Post #28

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

As Josh says, AX is grassroots motorsports and will likely remain so.
Randy Probst is the only "name" driver that I know of that credits AX as both a starting point and a teacher of car control.

As for Grant, the only time he might listen to you is when you tell him "it's time for dinner".
He's most interested in running down other's efforts....I've met "Grants" many times.
The motivation is beyond me and he's welcome to it.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Oct 3 2007, 03:01 PM
Post #29

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 3 2007, 11:57 AM)

As for Grant, the only time he might listen to you is when you tell him "it's time for dinner".
He's most interested in running down other's efforts....I've met "Grants" many times.
The motivation is beyond me and he's welcome to it.

And of course it depends what is being served for dinner. I'm also more inclined to listen if you bring a nice bottle of Pinot Nior.

However the last statement seems to be more of a projective statement of your personality than mine JP. I have a lot of respect for all people who are out there giving it their best including you. You really do well for a "mature" gentleman. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

This post has been edited by grantsfo: Oct 3 2007, 03:02 PM
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Oct 3 2007, 03:26 PM
Post #30

Long term tinkerer...

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 3 2007, 01:01 PM) *

And of course it depends what is being served for dinner. I'm also more inclined to listen if you bring a nice bottle of Pinot Nior.

Hmm, I'm more partial to a good Zin...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Oct 3 2007, 03:41 PM
Post #31

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 3 2007, 02:01 PM) *

However the last statement seems to be more of a projective statement of your personality than mine JP. I have a lot of respect for all people who are out there giving it their best including you. You really do well for a "mature" gentleman. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

You'll notice I refrained from any amateur psychology, tho you seem to be a good case study. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Oct 3 2007, 04:19 PM
Post #32

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Well if you want me to listen it better come in a bottle and be made with Hops.

If you want to continue the banter.

GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please start racing in the Paddock. Bench racing is fine too.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Oct 3 2007, 06:08 PM
Post #33

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 3 2007, 03:19 PM) *

GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please start racing in the Paddock. Bench racing is fine too.

...and after all I've done for you, this is what I get.

OK, bench racin'. Since I settled in XP you better go elsewhere cause I can take you like Grant (the one in Grant's tomb) took Richmond. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

For all your drivel, I still have more posts than you.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Oct 3 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #34

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 3 2007, 04:08 PM) *

OK, bench racin'. Since I settled in XP you better go elsewhere cause I can take you like Grant (the one in Grant's tomb) took Richmond. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

For all your drivel, I still have more posts than you.

You guys should come out for a SFR SCCA event sometime. It would be fun for 3 XP 914's to show up out of the blue. I'm sure both of you guys would kick my butt, as I'm not much of a cone dodger and my 914 really isnt really much of an AX car, but I'd give it my best. Sometimes I get really lucky and put together a fast run or two.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Oct 4 2007, 05:59 AM
Post #35

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Well my car does pretty well in both venues. Road courses and Autocross.

The comment I got from the S2000 owner last time out at NPR was hey I think your brakes lights have a bad connection or something. I only seen a flicker as you went into turn 1.
Nope they work fine, I just tap the brake to settle the car I was pretty much on the gas through the APEX. He just shook his head as he walked away. "nuts" just plain nuts......

JP I guess I got less drivel that you you.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Aug 21 2008, 10:51 PM
Post #36

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

So after the AX challenge, or shoot out, or whatever it was called, has this been settled?
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Aug 22 2008, 07:06 AM
Post #37

Irrelevant old fart

Well, we went to their house. Good people, drivers, & venue. Beating folks at their home venue is a tough road to hoe.....many don't appreciate that fact.
It has taken Grant a couple weeks to regain his internet form and now it's biddness as usual. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

To the crux of this thread, we went to the Tour event at Packwood a couple weeks back and, tho Brit won our class, we got out hats handed to us by many, many door slammers.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 22 2008, 07:33 AM
Post #38

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

It's tough to be guys with the latest CAD/CAM cars with a 40 year old car that was designed with a slide rule..
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 22 2008, 02:08 PM
Post #39

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 22 2008, 05:06 AM) *

Beating folks at their home venue is a tough road to hoe.....

I almost had you there, old man. Almost ... It'll happen. Some day ... Mark my words, it'll happen ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Aug 22 2008, 02:54 PM
Post #40

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 22 2008, 01:08 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 22 2008, 05:06 AM) *

Beating folks at their home venue is a tough road to hoe.....

I almost had you there, old man. Almost ... It'll happen. Some day ... Mark my words, it'll happen ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Andy

Well, maybe....if I live long enuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:01 PM