Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche Club of America, How many of us are members?
URY914
post Mar 17 2003, 10:36 AM
Post #1

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

I've been a member for about 14 years and I'll stay one, but if someone were to ask me if they needed to join I wouldn't know what to tell them. Like everything, it depends on what your looking for. I get more info off the net and the monthly Pano is getting sorta weak, but I realize 914 owners are not the main focus.

What is everyone's thoughts....
Paul
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tryan
post Mar 17 2003, 10:56 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 184

pca member for 5 years, p car owner for 16. mbca member and owner for 16 years. pelican runs are more fun than pca runs. we where in EXTREME violation of the law this weekend.
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Mar 17 2003, 11:01 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 71
Region Association: Southern California

PCA member here. Good people and lots of driving ops here in SoCal.
+Quote Post
MJHanna
post Mar 17 2003, 11:13 AM
Post #4

Does this 911 make my butt look big?

Member No.: 185

PCA member for 20 years this month, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Porsche owner for 25 years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) I’ve always gotten some thing out of PCA. If you go to events you can always find someone with similar interests does not matter if it’s a 914 or a 959. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 17 2003, 11:13 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

My wife and I have been members for 5 years or so....good experiance for us.
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Mar 17 2003, 11:18 AM
Post #6

Believe everything I post

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 35

IMO it is well worth the $42 per year. But, I would rate it by the following categories on a scale of 1 to 10. (1=sucks, 10=great)

Pano (2) It's getting very lame and it does not stand up well in the face of more timely information (Internet). I normally get it, flip through it and throw it in the pile. I would guess that it pulls in some significant revenue from the ads, but I'll read the classifieds before any of the commercial ads.

Track Events (10) Here in the Northeast, this is probably the best and easiest way to get on the track. The local region does a great job. Although the DE and Autocross events cost a little more out of pocket, they are worth it. One of the things that the local region does for us at no extra cost are the annual run-offs for autocross. At the end of the season, we get to drive the Skip Barber formula cars at Lime Rock for free.

Meetings (7) Most of the time, the meetings are fairly informative. The nice thing is, they don't just address the 911 crowd. There is always some knowledge that can be gleaned by most members of the audience.

Food (8) My membership fee has been more than paid back by the free food that I have enjoyed at club events. My son often comes with me, so I save some money by not having to feed him too.

People (9) You have to remember that there is life away from the Internet. I've met some great people and gotten some terrific assistance from the folks that I have met through the PCA. I've also met a couple of dicks, but you run into those everywhere.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 17 2003, 11:18 AM
Post #7

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I think it's still worthwhile. A lot depends on your local region, though. Panorama is nice, but the 914 info and interest is relatively small. I really like the articles on the old racing machines, though! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

If your local region puts on the kinds of events you like to go to (socials, tours, rallyes, autoXes, DE/TT events, etc.) and the "regulars" are decent folks, I think it's a very worthwhile thing. My locals (Loma Prieta Region) are good, even though I haven't been to many events in recent years, and so I continue to support them. I do wish the newsletter editors would freaking write me back every once in a while. CAVWPGUY is the last one who even acknowledged my notes...

--DD
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Mar 17 2003, 11:36 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 178

Yup, member in good standing but every year i have to debate whether I will renew.
+Quote Post
ss6
post Mar 17 2003, 12:03 PM
Post #9

fun city...

Member No.: 221

Member almost 5 years. The Connecticut Valley Region was the fastest growing PCA region last year. Great people, well worth the membership fee. Pano is worth only about 10 minutes of attention. Excellent Driver's Ed program (not too many other options over here on the rusty side).
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Mar 17 2003, 12:31 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

This is my favorite:

I have been running PCA events since 1992 or so. I'm STILL not a member. I run their TimeTrials, AutoX, even their DE's and Club Racing. They never check, so I have been cheap. I'll probably have to join this week because of the AutoX coming up. The president of our region know's I'm not a PCA member. Until now it has been more fun telling people I wasnt a member.

Jeez.

I just added up what I pay in membership fees:

NASA
SCCA
Golds
POC

That is over 300$ a year.

B
+Quote Post
URY914
post Mar 17 2003, 12:47 PM
Post #11

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

It does piss me off that my region doesn't charge non-members more at our auto-x's. Not a big deal but the club should and could be making more money off non-members.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Mar 17 2003, 12:55 PM
Post #12

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Our region says you cant run unless you have a Valid Ca. drivers license and a valid PCA membership. (insurance reasons)

Neither of which I have.

It will come back to bite me one day.

B
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 17 2003, 01:15 PM
Post #13

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I've been a PCA member since 1992. At this point, it's not much more than a magazine subscription to me. I do try to hit up a couple events per year.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Mar 17 2003, 01:22 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'm a member (for the 2 years I've had my car), have yet to get the the Drivers Ed or HPDC events though.

Nathan
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 17 2003, 02:05 PM
Post #15

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Been a member for about 3 years. You have to be a member to go to the PCA AX though otherwise the ricer crowd would swamp us.
I also go to the tech events, dyno days kind of stuff. Gonna try a DE event now that Pacific Raceways is repaired somewhat.
Geoff
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Mar 17 2003, 03:17 PM
Post #16

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

Ive been a member for a few months now. I like flipping through the Pano mag, but the content is pretty dry. AX is my newest craze, so that makes it worth it to me.
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Mar 17 2003, 03:38 PM
Post #17

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84

I have not joined because I am interested in building 914's; not race cars but street projects. I have owned a junk yard special 914 for about 15 years and it was powered by a Chev V-8. Not exactly acceptable to the Porsche people. I have found instead great people within the 914Club. Their interests meet my needs for now. I am not interested in participating in racing or autx; just building and eventually enjoy the social/road trips.

I am currently converting my 914 to a Porsche Flat Six and making a replica road runner. When this car is done, it will become a touring event car; yes, even going to races and autox's. I enjoy the process of owing a Porsche 914, even the building of one.

When the project is done and acceptable for extended road cruising, then I probably will join the Porsche Club. When this timing is right, I know I will find great people there as we have in Roadglue and 914Club.

Every association is what you make of it and take what it offers. Porsche club does offer many benefits; some great and some not so great; as it is in any club. If there is a need, I would join; for now, I have everything I require in 914Club and Roadglue.

My thoughts.

Steve Hurt
+Quote Post
dgw
post Mar 17 2003, 11:54 PM
Post #18

Dennis Winter

Member No.: 106

I've been a member since 1971. Bought my first Porsche the year before.
If you like the events your local region puts on, its well worth it, otherwise???

Other peoples comments about Pano are interesting, its never had great editorial value, since the editors have been the same for at least 32 years. But if you ignore the political pandering some of the articles are pretty good.
+Quote Post
jimtab
post Mar 18 2003, 12:40 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91

I was a member back in the 70's and I just recently rejoined the pca I was always a little pissed when I would pull up at an event and would see all the 911 and 356 guys roll their eyes. Now I just don't give a shit. Jim :finger2:
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Mar 18 2003, 12:41 AM
Post #20

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Member of the Oregon region since 1975, after I bought my first Porsche a 56 Speedster. Wish I still had that one.....
CCLinLOO
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:06 PM