Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Got my SSIs installed, And I'm bummed -- UPDATED w/ pics
Lavanaut
post May 27 2008, 02:44 PM
Post #21

Hungry Mind : Thirsty Gullet

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,265
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Update ~ the shop was willing to refit the HEs for free. When I got the car back, same problem. I took the car back again, and was promised that they would find out what was going on for sure this time instead of just attempting to re-fit. What I'm being told now is that the driver's side HE has a leak inside the tin, and that carbon build up in the intake was a further indicator that this is the case. He said they could probably fix it, but that it would (obviously) involve removing the tin, locating, welding, then reattaching the tin. He said it'll never look right after that.

So now I'm trying to figure out what to do. Does this guy's analysis of the situation sound reasonable? Like I said, he's a very good guy, and the shop is a very reputable place. He's done all of these re-fits and examinations for free.

I'm tempted to have him fix it because if I don't, the HE will continue to look nice but will be useless to me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I still have my stock HEs, my other option is to put those back on and try to sell my one good SS one. Or I guess try to find one for sale (yeah right).

What would you do? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 27 2008, 02:56 PM
Post #22

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884

If it's not too much you may as well have it fixed. If he has been doing other stuff for free and has a good rep I think you can trust him on this.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 27 2008, 02:57 PM
Post #23

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Lavanaut @ May 27 2008, 12:44 PM) *

What I'm being told now is that the driver's side HE has a leak inside the tin

very unlikely ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

the tin is not welded to the pipes, just clamped around them. the pipes are stainless steel. how would you get a leak in there?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 27 2008, 03:00 PM
Post #24

I would think you could find out rather easily for yourself if you pour a fluid down the exhaust pipes and if some comes out of the tin there is a leak.... no?
+Quote Post
914-8
post May 27 2008, 03:00 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 5,461
Region Association: None

I had a similar problem when I had my 2.0.

I know a lot of people probably don't do this, or think it would work, but FAT Performance said they use a little bit of red high temp RTV on both sides of the exhaust gasket/washer. I tried it, and it solved the problem. Went for many, many years and miles with no problem.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post May 27 2008, 03:31 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Update ~ the shop was willing to refit the HEs for free. When I got the car back, same problem. I took the car back again, and was promised that they would find out what was going on for sure this time instead of just attempting to re-fit. What I'm being told now is that the driver's side HE has a leak inside the tin, and that carbon build up in he intake was a further indicator that this is the case. He said they could probably fix it, but that it would (obviously) involve removing the tin, locating, welding, then reattaching the tin. He said it'll never look right after that.

So now I'm trying to figure out what to do. Does this guy's analysis of the situation sound reasonable? Like I said, he's a very good guy, and the shop is a very reputable place. He's done all of these re-fits and examinations for free.

I'm tempted to have him fix it because if I don't, the HE will continue to look nice but will be useless to me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I still have my stock HEs, my other option is to put those back on and try to sell my one good SS one. Or I guess try to find one for sale (yeah right).

What would you do? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I doubt the pipe is leaking inside the tin but maybe the tube seam did split. After the HE is removed it can be tested to see if it holds pressure. I am sure there are a number of ways this could be done. The first thought I have is the tabs that the studs go through are too close to the ends of the pipes and hitting the head. Thus preventing the HE's from being fully seated on the copper gasket.
+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post May 27 2008, 03:32 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 27 2008, 12:57 PM) *

What I'm being told now is that the driver's side HE has a leak inside the tin
very unlikely ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

the tin is not welded to the pipes, just clamped around them. the pipes are stainless steel. how would you get a leak in there?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Andy

See Andy, that's exactly what I'm thinking. It just seems very unlikely. Aside from one little ding in the tin, the HEs are in great shape (see pics). I can't imagine a hole forming. Beyond that, I bought them from a member here who told me they worked perfectly, and I feel he was telling me the truth.

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 27 2008, 01:00 PM) *

I would think you could find out rather easily for yourself if you pour a fluid down the exhaust pipes and if some comes out of the tin there is a leak.... no?

Hmm. Seems like it would have to be a pretty big hole for that to work if there were no pressure to force the liquid through a hole. Beyond that I don't have them here, my car's still at the shop.

I doubt the pipe is leaking inside the tin but maybe the tube seam did split. After the HE is removed it can be tested to see if it holds pressure. I am sure there are a number of ways this could be done.

Good idea Mark. I think I'll pursue that first.

Maybe the member that sold me the HEs will chime in with his take on the likelihood that there's a hole... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 27 2008, 03:37 PM
Post #28

Not really... Take a piece oftin and block off one end of the pipes. then fil it up with water and plug the other end.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post May 27 2008, 04:55 PM
Post #29

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

It could very well be the pipe inside the tin has a crack. The last time I was at Brad Mayeurs shop he showed me a SSI exchanger that had what sounds like the same issue you are having.

When the outer skin was removed you could see that both pipes had cracks in them about 2 -3 inches long. One of them was split open enough that you could stick a pencil in it.

For me, before I would start cutting open a SSI exchanger I would try the red high temp RTV that 914-8 mentioned and see if that does it. I will talk with Brad and see if he can give me more details on what he found. I have a friend that is a helicopter mechanic and he gave me some of those CO detectors that is used in small aircraft. This might not be a bad thing for everyone to keep in their cars?
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post May 27 2008, 06:20 PM
Post #30

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 11 2007, 04:00 PM) *

SSIs are a PAIN IN THE ASS to fit. Every set I've worked with takes a careful eye to make sure they're actually seating on the gaskets and not getting hung up on the heads.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 27 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #31

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

what did they do to pinpoint the leak in the piping? they did this with the he attached? i was not aware of any seams in the piping. something new every day.

+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post May 30 2008, 01:04 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ May 27 2008, 01:31 PM) *

I doubt the pipe is leaking inside the tin but maybe the tube seam did split. After the HE is removed it can be tested to see if it holds pressure.
Turns out it really is leaking inside the shield. They blocked off all but one tube and put applied pressurized air at 15 lbs. and could hear it "leaking like crazy" inside the shield. Guess that answers that. He said that if it's a fracture it's quite easy to weld up and fix, but that once it's all put back together it will be obvious when looking at it that it's been repaired.

This sucks. Time to put the stock exchangers back on I guess and try to sell these with a full disclaimer on the damage. Wish the same had been done for me when I bought them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

+Quote Post
Brando
post May 30 2008, 01:33 PM
Post #33

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

I agree with the following... MUST be done! A run of the mill exhaust shop will not do this and hopefully they installed the gaskets at the HE/Muffler flanges.

Final torque-down is after they're warm to ensure no leaks.

QUOTE(Headrage @ Oct 11 2007, 02:53 PM) *
Sounds like an exhaust leak where the h/e's meet the head. Drop the exchangers and get a BIG ass flat file. Take a sharpie and color the end of the flanges. Then take the file and run it across BOTH flanges at the same time until the sharpie is gone. Then file off the same amount of the top of the mounting tabs. Make sure the sealing area on the head is clean and not buggered up. Get new copper gaskest and re-install.

You may also have some residual oil in the tin that is burning off.

The pop-pop-pop at idle sounds like an exhaust leak though.
+Quote Post
MartyYeoman
post May 30 2008, 02:06 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 839

QUOTE(Lavanaut @ May 30 2008, 12:04 PM) *

Time to put the stock exchangers back on I guess and try to sell these with a full disclaimer on the damage.

I'm glad you've got a go ahead plan.
Personally, I'd (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
I don't think there's much of a market for broken SSIs.
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post May 30 2008, 02:46 PM
Post #35

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 12 2007, 06:31 PM) *

QUOTE(swl @ Oct 12 2007, 06:03 PM) *

Warning - possible bad info. Gearheads please flame this down if it is BS.

During safety checks I see the mechanics stop off the exhaust with a bung. If the exhaust is tight the car will almost stall. If there is a leak it because obvious where it is.

I don't like the sounds of that. I would never assume that I had no leaks if the car choked after blocking off a major pipe. Would you expect a car to run through a couple of bad gaskets and pin holes?

But if it was a controlled back pressure that could be dialed down, I suppose it would expose the leaks.

I'm just blabbing though... Sorta fits when I think about it: Kinda like if I was holding my hand over my mouth and you're hearing what was coming out my ears and backside. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

You could always inject some LA air, then just sit back and see where it leaks out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

To me it definatly sounds like a leak at the heads. My .02
+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post May 30 2008, 02:50 PM
Post #36

I must not have been clear. With the HE off of the car, they blocked off one end and put 15 lbs. of pressurized air to the other end and could hear it "leaking like crazy" underneath the heat shield. It has a leak, that much is certain at this point.

After further consideration though, I'm going to have them fix it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
Allan
post May 30 2008, 03:04 PM
Post #37

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) just fix the leak.

It wont take much to cut the tin open, weld the pipe and re-weld the tin back.

Besides, how often do you look under the car at the H/E's?
+Quote Post
MartyYeoman
post May 30 2008, 03:17 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 839

QUOTE(Lavanaut @ May 30 2008, 01:50 PM) *

After further consideration though, I'm going to have them fix it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post May 30 2008, 03:34 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Lavanaut @ May 30 2008, 11:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ May 27 2008, 01:31 PM) *

I doubt the pipe is leaking inside the tin but maybe the tube seam did split. After the HE is removed it can be tested to see if it holds pressure.
Turns out it really is leaking inside the shield. They blocked off all but one tube and put applied pressurized air at 15 lbs. and could hear it "leaking like crazy" inside the shield. Guess that answers that. He said that if it's a fracture it's quite easy to weld up and fix, but that once it's all put back together it will be obvious when looking at it that it's been repaired.

This sucks. Time to put the stock exchangers back on I guess and try to sell these with a full disclaimer on the damage. Wish the same had been done for me when I bought them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Bummer about the SSI's. It is hard to believe that would fail but apparently they have. Do they look like they had been damaged in any way like in a rear end crash? My guess is this is probably a failure of the pipe from the pipe manufacture. Inside the tins the pipes are not bent much. Hard to blame SSI.
+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post May 30 2008, 03:39 PM
Post #40

Yep, bummer. They look fine, just one very small dent in one of the heat shields, but otherwise they look great. I'll see if I can get the guy who's working on them to snap a picture or two of the damage once he pulls it apart.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 12:10 AM