Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tire rubber hardness, Anyone use one of these
Joe Ricard
post Oct 18 2007, 07:35 AM
Post #1

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Group: Members
Member No.: 92

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LONGARCE-TIRE-DURO...1QQcmdZViewItem

There is a guy selling a mess of tires and stated durometer hardness as a method of how fresh the tires were. or the degree of how gone they are.

Might have to get me one of these just because I am a gadget nut when it comes to my race car.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
woobn8r
post Oct 18 2007, 09:10 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,435
Region Association: None

I have a Durometer.
It's a good tool, but it only adds a piece to the puzzle. You shouldnn't for example, purchase a particular brand of tire for autoX based on how soft the rubber is...the tire may be too greasy...or need heat cycling, etc. There are many other factors in tire selection (as you already know).

At work we use them for checking the consistancy of tread rubber as tires are made all over the world now and humidity is a HUGE factor in the curing of tires...not all companies are as good as the US or Japanease plants when it comes to control systems.

If you use it religously, and build a good database you will be able to learn some interesting facts about your particular racing application and have more ammunition when it comes time to make decisions.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Oct 18 2007, 10:06 AM
Post #3

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Yup, I have built a pretty good base of car set up # runs on a tire. Temps that the tire got up to. and my opinion of the grip that was available on that particular surface.

I would be curious how the durometer measurement correlated to the grip vs. # runs and temp.

One thing I have found is new tires grip so much that stiffer springs are required. as they get to half life and have less grip springs up to 100 pounds less work better.
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Oct 18 2007, 11:09 AM
Post #4

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

Joe,

The durometer readings are not going to give you an accurate absolute number. They're better for relative measurements. Like, charting how a given tire ages over x number of runs. Always measure in the same conditions, and the same manner to get the best results.

-Josh2

+Quote Post
Brett W
post Oct 21 2007, 12:29 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

I use one. Its useful to track age and degradation of race tires. Not as important for overall tire selection but it helps use tires longer. Laptimes are pretty much the way to judge the useful life of tires.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:08 PM