Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fog Light Restoration, Step by Step
Eric_Shea
post Oct 21 2007, 10:57 AM
Post #1

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Hi Gang,

A while back I took on the task of restoring my fog lights. This is one of those projects that kept getting back-burner status and that's probably a good thing. Sometimes I have the patience of a gnat and it works out for the better if I'm forced to take my time.

Here's a look at what I did. This particular version is not an accurate restoration of a teener light otherwise it would probably go in another forum. Why? Chrome. More on why I did that later. Teener lights have a fairly high satin body with a gloss black ring.

To start, I disassembled the lights. You may have seen some of these pictures posted here previously. Once the lights were all apart I had to take the mount off to chrome the housing. The mount includes the ground brush and tongue which a held in place with the mount rivets. I used a Dremel with a carbide cut-off wheel and used it like a tiny grinder on the backside of the rivets:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Once the mount was out I took the various pieces off to be chromed and plated. I decided to have the reflectors chromed as well and the results were great. There are some firms out there that can remirror but the chrome looks about 98% so I'm happy. So, the housing, ring and reflector were chromed and the remaining pieces (with the exception of the mounts) were clear zinc plated with the exception of the long mounting bolt which was yellow zinc:

Attached Image

The mounts were glass bead blasted and they came out great:

Attached Image

Attached Image

914World to the rescue. Kevin (Special K) saw my plight in an earlier post. I was wondering how to get the mounts rivetted back on to the housing. Seeing as how he builds airplanes for a living he had all the answers (and all the tools) needed to finish this job. I can't thank Kevin enough for sending a couple bags of rivets, a buck and the rivet head for my air hammer:

Attached Image

Attached Image

The buck slips into the vise and is used on the backside of the rivet to flare or mushroom the end:

Attached Image

Next it was time to load the rivets and go for it. I used my previous pictures to realign the brush and tab. The rivets were just a hair larger so I had to take a small round file and dress the holes on the housing, it may have been the chrome as well. Here's everything lined up and ready to go. I even found an old sticker and, using some spray adhesive, I reapplied (don't ask me why...):

Attached Image

On the buck:

Attached Image

Finished:

Attached Image

914World to the rescue again, Qarl saves the day with his aftermarket glass seals and Glenn saves the day with new lenses. The seals are a perfect fit and the lenses simply popped into the ring using the newly plated spring clips:

Attached Image

Attached Image

One of the final steps is to snap them together and lock them in place with the lock tabs:

Attached Image

And the last step is to install the mount on the mount base. Again, everything was replated using clear zinc:

Attached Image

Here's the bad news... these are going to the dark side. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Hence the chrome. These TN4's are the same driving lights they used on US spec 911's except they were chromed for the 911 grill applications (and they seem to go for a lot more money). I needed a set for my RS mobile (it's a little dirty):

Attached Image

Enjoy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Danny_Ocean
post Oct 21 2007, 11:03 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,846
Region Association: South East States

Very nice. You have more patience then I'll ever have.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 21 2007, 11:14 AM
Post #3

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

one thing if memory serves me correctly. you need to run the wires thru the grommet, into the housing, and on the connection tabs prior to final assem. the Zero-Rust in a rattle can is a pretty close match to the factory paint finish. you buying cores?

k
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Oct 21 2007, 11:43 AM
Post #4

PMB Performance

Kevin is correct.

You need to install the grommet and then run the wires before bolting them together. I have the proper switch in the dash and the wires are sitting in the fender wells waiting for the grommets and for Piggot to come over and play with the wiring. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Zero-Rust would be a good match and a good protectant for the housings.
+Quote Post
geniusanthony
post Oct 21 2007, 01:00 PM
Post #5

Its a brand new "Chrome-sicle"

Member No.: 5,266
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Did factory fogs have a rounded plastic lense? See attached pic if you can make em out...
Attached Image
sorry for the bad pic, don't have any with me

100 posts woo hoo, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Oct 21 2007, 01:03 PM
Post #6

PMB Performance

No, but I did find two different "glass" lense types:

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 03:23 AM