Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Carrera GT crash at California speedway: Verdict, Best to check out the facility
drgchapman
post Oct 23 2007, 12:10 PM
Post #1

Current Stable

Group: NoClassifiedAccess
Member No.: 2,789
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

This is an article regarding the Carrera GT crash that killed the two guys in the car.
Big award......releases are suspect. Track had some fault due to barrier placement, driver had fault, everyone had some fault as in most things in life.

Be carefull out there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/content/carrera
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 23)
jd74914
post Nov 4 2007, 01:29 AM
Post #21

Its alive

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

Doesn't that mean that Lamborghini should be held liable for producing a defective car? I mean, they indirectly caused his loss of life.

I don't mean to sound so callous, but the ridiculousness of some parts of this situation confuse me. The human loss is terrible under any circumstances (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Nov 4 2007, 02:03 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

...and the defective overheating Lambo is powered by an Audi V10. This is a very interesting case indeed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
Marty
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Nov 4 2007, 10:35 AM
Post #23

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

50 years ago it would have been considered a tragic "accident" and everyone would have to go on with there lives. After all, there was no criminal charges here.

Gross negligence is a catch all where in CA you can dole out % blame to anyone remotely involved. In other states you have to show 51% or greater negligence or nothing. GN thus includes course workers, event organizers, members, manufacturers, etc..., but usually the deepest pockets are targets. Anyone can be sued.

My view is that the biggest victim is the wife and family of the driver, because not only do they go through the same loss, but now the passenger's family is going after them.

Then there's the freedom loving attorney who rides off into the sunset with silver teeth and money bags on each hip.

IMO - this just shows the demise of racing, the misuse of GN, and ultimately the declining character of our people.
+Quote Post
Brando
post Nov 11 2007, 05:53 PM
Post #24

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

FTA:
McClellan points out that the typical SCM subscriber, a car enthusiast who holds fast cars and racetracks dear, will never make it onto this jury. The jurors will be more ordinary citizens.
Hopefully that would have been the case. As I see it anyone participating in these events knows, or should know, that they are walking into a deadly environment where anything and everything can go wrong. Taking such into account, EVERYONE should be safety minded and be in consideration of their lives and the lives of people around them. Although, when an organizing event takes the rap for a mistake they are unfortunately fatal it seems. I agree with the comments above about safety, safety, SAFETY. Who made the mistake... Many people. I feel that overriding the tech declining the CGT owner to race should not have been. Even in instances where a car may have a safety-effecting issue of oversteer, understeer or another quality which may result in an incorrectable error, it shouldnt be allowed -- especially if an inexperienced driver is behind the wheel (and that issue is questionable in itself it seems).

"Most people, especially those with children on the streets and highways, would fear a vehicle like the Carrera GT, with its tricky handling characteristics, 600-plus horsepower, and unskilled, unqualified drivers.
This is an issue with all vehicles on the road - not one specific to sports cars. A vehicle with a measely 50hp still has the capability to cause insurmountable damage. I do not take kindly to the tone of McClellan painting manufacturers of the vehicle for operators' flaws. IIRC Porsche highly discourages driving in such events at the dealership, and warn that if you damage your car in one you void your warranty. Ultimately what you do with your vehicle is your own responsibility, with limiting degrees.

When a 'race car for the streets' is sold to anyone with enough money, regardless of his ability to drive it, and it doesn’t even incorporate modern electronic safety devices that correct driver errors, then maybe the manufacturer should accept some responsibility for the foreseeable deaths that will result."
Agin with the blaming of manufacturers - and announcing his intent to gain $$$ from them. Despite his belief - no safety feature in the world on today's vehicles can fully correct an operator error - unless the vehicle is not controlled by the operator at any instance can the above be said. If I lock the wheel at 150mph, can the car prevent a flat spin, rolling and quite possibly colliding with objects, people and other vehicles? How can the PSM prevent such a thing? Stability management can't. Similar to arguing how ABS systems work... Can they prevent your car from spinning out of control? No, they can only stop the wheels from locking under extreme braking.

So what is the end result? Stricter rules on ride-alongs (hopefully), increased cost to participate in events, increased costs in insurance to hold events, increased cost in track fees, lower spectators, lower participation.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 12:40 AM