Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 2.0 bus engine vrs. 2.0 914, beside the heads whats different?
orange914
post Nov 9 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #1

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

a friend wants to build a good but resonably priced engine for his 914. he has a 2.0 bus engine and a 914 1.7 engine. we're looking into the best combo. to build

1 what differences are in the bus vrs. 914 2.0 engines (deside the heads and windage tray?)
2 does a BUS case have "GA" #'s and the grooves for the windage tray?
3 will 94mm or 96mm cylinders and/or the 71mm (2.0) crank fit the 1.7 case w/o machining? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 8)
sww914
post Nov 9 2007, 11:10 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146
Region Association: None

I don't know about the bus engines, but I do know that I have a 1.7 case with a 2.0 crank and 96's, I didn't need to do any machining except for an align bore.
+Quote Post
orange914
post Nov 9 2007, 11:27 PM
Post #3

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(sww914 @ Nov 9 2007, 09:10 PM) *

I don't know about the bus engines, but I do know that I have a 1.7 case with a 2.0 crank and 96's, I didn't need to do any machining except for an align bore.

so most likely the bus 2.0 has same bearings and other charicteristics (der... spelling?)
+Quote Post
gregrobbins
post Nov 9 2007, 11:28 PM
Post #4

Member: Team NARP

Member No.: 1,844
Region Association: Southwest Region

Some bus cases had a mechanical fuel pump and you would need to block that off. Also, you would have to tap and drill for the oil dip stick.

Talked to Jake about bus cases one time. He suggesed that a bus motor is more likely to be beat up and out of alignment due to the heavy work a bus motor has to do compaired to a 914 motor. Jake likes the 1.7 cases for his big builds.

Use that one.
+Quote Post
toon1
post Nov 10 2007, 02:53 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,022

Mike, there are a few differences, use a 1.7 case, there plentiful

That offer above sounds good
+Quote Post
914Mike
post Nov 10 2007, 04:03 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 198

While the 2.0 bus crank is identical to the 2.0 914 crank, the rods are heavier. I measured 914 rods at about 760g (IIRC) vs. 790g to over 800g for the bus rods. This makes a BIG diff at redline... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Nov 10 2007, 04:17 PM
Post #7

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I have a 2.0 bus engine in my 73 right now, which I didn't put in ... it's a boat anchor of a motor, and although I have to give it credit for not dying on me (despite several attempts to do so, which turned out to be just warning shots).

I know the compression is significantly lower, and comparably so is HP (though I think you might gain low-end torque - if you find a decent bus motor in the first place, unlike mine). If you plan to change all that and just use the case, then ... more power to ya.

The problems I'd had with mine were initially based on the fact that the 1.7 Djet wasn't working at all on that poor motor ... and the fact that it was only running on 3 cylinders for a long time due to something broken on the rocker arm assembly. Which broke again, in a different place, later ... lots oil. Speaking of that, I get ~500 miles to the gallon ... of OIL. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

BTW, the dipstick is in the exact same place on the bus motor as a teener 2.0.

When I take it out, it's going to be donated to a VW parts guy in town. I've had enough of this poor ol' thing. My recommendation? Stick with a 1.7 for sure.

- Nelson
+Quote Post
Al Meredith
post Nov 10 2007, 08:59 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,061

All the cases are interchangable. The 2.0L bus engine has low compression and huge dishes in the top of the oistons. Bus heads have smaller valves. Have the heads redone by Len Hoffman with bigger seats and valves. Have the 2.0 cylinders bored to 96MM and inatall KB pistons from Jake . Add a jake cam and you've got a great engine.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Nov 10 2007, 10:54 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

The flywheel and clutch are different. The bus clutch is 228mm. The flywheel is lighter. This is what I run in mine. I further lightened it. The center of the flywheel must be bored for the pilot bearing.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 01:34 AM