Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> getting ready to buy tires for the -6, best quality\ price\CW
freezing14
post Nov 15 2007, 08:33 PM
Post #1

freezing14

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,233

ok I need to buy tire for the -6 , I hope to have a a good concour car, but it will be a driver after all , no trailer queen here, I want a good quality tire , sticky, and not too pricy and all that for the 5.5 14,, by the way whats the best size, I know we can play a bit with size, but original look,
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Nov 15 2007, 09:49 PM
Post #2

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(freezing14 @ Nov 15 2007, 09:33 PM) *

ok I need to buy tire for the -6 , I hope to have a a good concour car, but it will be a driver after all , no trailer queen here, I want a good quality tire , sticky, and not too pricy and all that for the 5.5 14,, by the way whats the best size, I know we can play a bit with size, but original look,

We had a rather lengthy discussion on the CW aspects of tires sometime back on this forum (do a search). From a CW standpoint, it came down to Coker Tire, since they have the moulds for early Michelins, etc. The jury is still out from my perspective as to whether this makes safety sense. Yeah, they look right. Yeah, the are CW correct. Yeah, you'll get gigged at a Parade for not having them.

They are EXPENSIVE, particularly when you take into account paying a high price for old technology.

I've decided to go for something contemporary & just take a hit at Parades.

Guess it all boils down to priorities & preferences.
Pat
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Nov 16 2007, 12:47 PM
Post #3

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

Attached ImageAttached Image I was faced with a similar decision a couple of years ago on a six I once owned. It came to me with a set of bare 14" Fuchs and mounted 15" Fuchs with 195/50x15 tires. The diameter was way too small for my taste, not filling the wheel arch and messing up the speedo/gear ratios.
The OE diameter for all 914's is about 25.5", either with the 165x15 or 185x14 which came with the 14" Fuchs alloys.
You can get a 185HR14 Vredestein from Coker at $130 each. There are other sources as well. I didn't want to spend that much but wanted an OE look using the correct 14" alloys. A modern size 195/75x14 is also about 25.5" in diameter. For $45 per I bought Kuhmo Solus KR21 in that size from Tire Rack. Of course shipping, mount and balance add to the total. Attached images show comparison of 195/50x15 and 195/75x14 side by side and on the car. The 75's are on the rear. Surprising how much taller a 14" combo is than the 15" with low profile tire.

Edit: After further reflection, the 195's were Michelins from Costco at about $75 each, mounted and balanced. Today I might be tempted by the Kuhmos.
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Nov 16 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #4

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

Decided to check to see if the car was still for sale. I sold the car to a dealer (Export 56) in the UK for my asking price of $21K in July of '06. Wondered how he could make a profit after shipping from Portland, OR. He is asking 33,000 pounds, which is over $67,000! Not a bad mark up! But then it is unsold after a year and a half. Guess we know why cars are returning to Europe!

Anyway, go here to see better pictures of the car with 195/75x14's on Fuchs.

http://export56.com/carsforsale/saleitem.asp?SaleID=10
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 06:56 PM