Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Building a shop, Whats the good the bad and the ugly?
cassidy_bolger
post Nov 18 2007, 09:52 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,737
Region Association: None

You should proably check with the county to find out their permitting requirements first. That may drive what type of builiding/construction you choose. For example, can you bring them purchased plans from a company that are "permit ready" engineered and ready to go? Or, do you need to hire someone to design and draw something in a way that proves it meets local code and won't fall down? Seismic and snow loads are not insignificant in these here parts, and one wall of nothing but garage doors can rob you of needed lateral load capacity....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mr.C
post Nov 19 2007, 12:10 AM
Post #22

Easy does it

Member No.: 61

I've been on the garage journal too. I'm thinking of going with something like this.
Pole barn designs seem to be the easiest for the do it yourself guy.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Nov 19 2007, 12:15 AM
Post #23

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I guess down in California you can get away with that, but up here you should have it heated. Plus, the pole barn thing looks so cheap. Build something that is more secure and finished properly.
+Quote Post
Mr.C
post Nov 19 2007, 12:23 AM
Post #24

Easy does it

Here's the outside and the thread from the garage journal http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthr...light=pole+barn

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TeenerTim
post Nov 19 2007, 10:51 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 8,253
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Buy shop lights with "electronic" ballasts. They're more expensive but the cheap ones don't work in the cold. My cheap ones would cut on and off at random.

Space your bays far enough apart so you can open the doors on both cars in adjoining bays.

Make it deep enough so you can close the garage door and have room to walk behind the car and room to walk in front between the car and workbench or toolbox.

Buy insulated garage doors. Well worth the extra cost.
+Quote Post
dlo914
post Nov 19 2007, 11:27 AM
Post #26

Whatchu' lookin' at?!?!

Member No.: 2,697

What kind of lifts are you planning to install? I always liked the 2 Post Car Lifts over the in ground hydraulic ones. (IMG:http://www.americanautomotiveequipment.com/photos/TP7A-2.jpg)
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Nov 19 2007, 12:31 PM
Post #27

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584

QUOTE(Mr.C @ Nov 18 2007, 11:10 PM) *

I've been on the garage journal too. I'm thinking of going with something like this.
Pole barn designs seem to be the easiest for the do it yourself guy.

Unless they added more, there are NOT enough lights in that garage!

When I bought my house the garage had two florescent lights of 2x4' design. I've seen votive candles put out more light. So I put in seven and have a lot more light. But I wish I had more...however, though I insulated my walls I did not sheet rock them. BTW, R-13 insulation made a noticable difference! Definitely insulate.

I also added additional outlets to my garage and am very glad I did. Remember, you can never have too many outlets and lights!
+Quote Post
Wilhelm
post Nov 19 2007, 01:17 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 8,088

2 pole lifts make a lot more sense rather than 4 pole drive on ramp lifts. With 2 pole lifts you've go access to the wheels, axles and brakes as opposed to the 4 pole ramp lifts where the car is essentially sitting on its wheels at a higher level. Granted, 4 pole lifts seem safer to be under, but I don't think you gain much other than ability to work under the engine. All I need to do is find a 2 pole lift wide enuf to stick the car in sideways so I can make a rotissere attachment to twirl and spin the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Wilhelm
post Nov 19 2007, 01:29 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 8,088

QUOTE(cassidy_bolger @ Nov 18 2007, 07:52 PM) *

You should proably check with the county to find out their permitting requirements first. That may drive what type of builiding/construction you choose. For example, can you bring them purchased plans from a company that are "permit ready" engineered and ready to go? Or, do you need to hire someone to design and draw something in a way that proves it meets local code and won't fall down? Seismic and snow loads are not insignificant in these here parts, and one wall of nothing but garage doors can rob you of needed lateral load capacity....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Don't even get me started!!!! I designed and built my own home. The company that cut the sips (western insulfoam) provided the engineering, fastner requirements and wind/earthquake tie down engineering. This was not good enough for the local building dept. I had to pay an extra grand for outside engineering which resulted in 5 grand of extra steel in the foundation and comercial type foundation ties into the concrete. When the building inspecter came out to look, he said "whats with all the steel?" I wanted to 'Hoffa' him into the foundation. My biggest issue is really that I'm in a scenic area and this adds a extra thousand dollars to the application process and 5 months to the application for them to review everything and ensure my structure (which by the way is surrounded by farms and orchards) is "visually subserviant" to the surrounding area when viewed from the 'scenicivista' in the area that it is visible from: 5miles away, across the river in the winter when there are no leaves on the trees. Oh, but don't get me started.......
+Quote Post
Mr.C
post Nov 25 2007, 08:01 PM
Post #30

Easy does it

Check this site out. www.barnpros.com They have some of the most beautiful barns/shop kits that I have seen on the net. This may be what your after.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 01:52 AM