Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SOT: Photography, Tips and Cameras you'd suggest...
brer
post Nov 30 2007, 02:11 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,736
Region Association: None

manual focus isn't better for most. I bought a KATZEYE focus screen for my camera to assist with that. Its part of my process and I cant get away from it without feeling out of touch.

Another good tip for a super nice camera would be the Nikon D2H . Only 4.1 Megapixel but thats great for most amatuer shooters. Dont think it wont print nice large prints as it will 12x16 no problem. It will capture a nicer image than my D200 alot of people think, CMOS I think?? Anyway, its a professional level camera that is only slightly outdated now, but still an AWESOME rig for the money. I have had to resist buying one myself.

(fix car, dont need camera)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Nov 30 2007, 02:29 AM
Post #42

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(brer @ Nov 30 2007, 12:11 AM) *

manual focus isn't better for most. I bought a KATZEYE focus screen for my camera to assist with that. Its part of my process and I cant get away from it without feeling out of touch.

Another good tip for a super nice camera would be the Nikon D2H . Only 4.1 Megapixel but thats great for most amatuer shooters. Dont think it wont print nice large prints as it will 12x16 no problem. It will capture a nicer image than my D200 alot of people think, CMOS I think?? Anyway, its a professional level camera that is only slightly outdated now, but still an AWESOME rig for the money. I have had to resist buying one myself.

(fix car, dont need camera)

I don't think I'd be happy with just 4 MP at this point. 10 gives you such terrific cropping and printing power. It's also good to have those extra pixels when doing certain image sharpening techniques.

I've had perverted thoughts of selling the 914 for the new Nikon D3:
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond3/

It's 12 MP if you use the good lenses and just 5 MP if you use DX lenses. I can't justify making the leap as I don't feel I've hit any real limits with the D200 yet. I think my only complaint is with the amount of noise you get in photos when using higher ISO settings. The D3 doesn't have that problem... One can dream a little, right?
+Quote Post
koozy
post Nov 30 2007, 04:13 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 7,931

Elsa Case sits and weeps as a lifetime of posessions are hauled away by a demolition crew hired by the city, thursday. Case's home was in violation of city fire codes which forced her eviction.
Attached Image

Jerry Rice Jr. doesn't live in his father's shaddow. He is marching to the beat of his own drum. Even though Rice Sr. can bee seen at most of his son's footall games Jerry Jr. says "My dad loves to come watch me play basketball"
Attached Image

San Mateo quarterback Nate Davidson had a 90-yard touchdown run in his 129-yard rushing performance against Capuchino.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
koozy
post Nov 30 2007, 04:28 AM
Post #44

Oracle complex 11/29/07
14mm F3.5 1/2 sec. ISO-100 +3 step

Attached Image

Know your camera, know your subject matter and shoot, shoot, shoot....

Nothing beats practise...... Other than a bit of luck.

All shots were taken with the Olympus E-Volt 410

+Quote Post
koozy
post Nov 30 2007, 04:37 AM
Post #45

Sure wish I had the funds for a D3. Not yet but maybe next year. I started saving for one a couple of months ago. If saving goes the same as it has for the past couple of months I will have the camera by, let's say...... 2023.... Yikes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
koozy
post Nov 30 2007, 04:42 AM
Post #46

OK, last one.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
dkos
post Nov 30 2007, 08:35 AM
Post #47

say, "RUST"!

Member No.: 3,204

here are some of my photos:

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Demick
post Nov 30 2007, 10:02 AM
Post #48

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

QUOTE(brer @ Nov 30 2007, 01:11 AM) *

Another good tip for a super nice camera would be the Nikon D2H . Only 4.1 Megapixel but thats great for most amatuer shooters.

Before digital, you used to be able to spend $500-$1000 to get a very nice Nikon (or other) SLR that would last you a lifetime. Now you spend $3000 for a professional DLSR and it's considered outdated in a couple of years. Useful life of a good camera has gone from 30 years down to 5 years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
brer
post Nov 30 2007, 10:12 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,736

Its a joke isn't it. but the camera companies are loving it.

My normal response to someone asking me what camera to buy would be to get an old 35mm and a home BW darkroom setup, but even that advice is kinda unrealistic considering the flexibility and instant nature of digital shooting and storage.

That said, the only photographers I know that are making bucks today still shoot film. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

-Koozy your first two pics are exceptionally human. very nice.
+Quote Post
koozy
post Nov 30 2007, 11:16 AM
Post #50

Thank you. For film I use a Minolta 7000i and a Minolta 400si. Both are very capable and nice cameras. I get over a dozen photos published every week and the E-Volt has stepped up to the plate. If I were to suggest buying an entry level DSLR with pro capabilities, the E-Volt would be my pic. If you wanted to step up but still not break the bank I would go with the E-3. Fastest, lightest camera out there for the price point.
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Nov 30 2007, 11:27 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081

Good thread.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Nov 30 2007, 12:25 PM
Post #52

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(brer @ Nov 30 2007, 08:12 AM) *

Its a joke isn't it. but the camera companies are loving it.

My normal response to someone asking me what camera to buy would be to get an old 35mm and a home BW darkroom setup, but even that advice is kinda unrealistic considering the flexibility and instant nature of digital shooting and storage.

That said, the only photographers I know that are making bucks today still shoot film. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

-Koozy your first two pics are exceptionally human. very nice.

Yes, it's true that most of us are using film, but most of us also have very nice digital camers too. However, the biggest reason for that is you will never be able to get a shot with a 35mm camera that you can with a 4x5. I also shoot much of my stuff with a Hasselblad H1, and to get something like that in digital is about $30,000.00. I don't think I could justify buying a camera body that cost the price of a nice 914-6 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) . I got the D200 because it was easy to do weddings with if the people were looking for something a little less expensive. Shooting weddings with my MF camera I charge almost double as there is soooo much more involved.
+Quote Post
koozy
post Nov 30 2007, 12:43 PM
Post #53

What does an average wedding go for in digital?
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 30 2007, 12:54 PM
Post #54

En Garde!

Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(koozy @ Nov 30 2007, 01:43 PM) *

What does an average wedding go for in digital?

About the same as they go for in film. You are buying the photographers expertise, the actual materials fee is pretty small.

Zach
+Quote Post
koozy
post Nov 30 2007, 01:05 PM
Post #55

so how much is that doller wise?
+Quote Post
koozy
post Nov 30 2007, 01:08 PM
Post #56

geez, can I spell? I meant to ask what the average price would be for wedding photography. Not post with cost of prints, just labor.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 30 2007, 01:12 PM
Post #57

En Garde!

Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(koozy @ Nov 30 2007, 02:08 PM) *

geez, can I spell? I meant to ask what the average price would be for wedding photography. Not post with cost of prints, just labor.

I depends person to person. Lots of wedding shoots are farmed out for all the print processing, and you pay extra for whatever prints you order. Any post production work (photoshop) is also usually extra.

Zach
+Quote Post
koozy
post Nov 30 2007, 01:18 PM
Post #58

I'm seeing $1500 - $2500 with 3 to 6 hours coverage for moderate photography. Sound about right?
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Nov 30 2007, 03:28 PM
Post #59

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884

It really depends on the package. If it is digital and they are just using your time I only charge 1000 and give them the disk. If they want me to get the prints I charge the price of the printing and 100 more for time. I also use a company that specializes in wedding and portrait printing as they can crank the stuff out and it still be on very nice paper. Film I charge much more for as the package is much more inclusive. In other words, they are getting more of a work of art put together for their special day. My price for those now are around 4000, but I only do three or four a year. I am getting tired of them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Like Zach said. you are paying for the expertise. I started doing weddings for 500 just doing the digital
+Quote Post
Todd Enlund
post Nov 30 2007, 04:14 PM
Post #60

Resident Photoshop Guru

Member No.: 8,032

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Nov 30 2007, 12:29 AM) *

I've had perverted thoughts of selling the 914 for the new Nikon D3:
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond3/

It's 12 MP if you use the good lenses and just 5 MP if you use DX lenses. I can't justify making the leap as I don't feel I've hit any real limits with the D200 yet. I think my only complaint is with the amount of noise you get in photos when using higher ISO settings. The D3 doesn't have that problem... One can dream a little, right?

I got to shoot a few frames with a D3 about a month ago. ISO 4000 on the D3 looks as good as ISO 400 on my D2X. I don't like going past 400 on my D2X.

I'm hoping to buy a D3 before next wedding season. With fast glass and a D3, you could shoot by candle light.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 12:11 AM