Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I NeedHelp!!!, Carbueration problems
mikalle76
post Mar 19 2003, 08:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 443

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I need help on converting the niner to carbueration.
what all do I need?
My fi computer was shot.
I want to know what I need to do as far as wiring and all.
Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 19 2003, 08:49 AM
Post #2

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

First choice, are you sure the stock FI is shot? It is the best system for a stock engine. Could you tell us L-jet or D-jet and engine size? Some guys here may be able to help you fix it.

2nd choice, I have the SDS programable FI group buy going on at the STF. We have 8 people so far, but you will have to wait till the end of April. IMHO way better than carb's and could be made to look almost stock.

http://shoptalkforums.com/bbs/NonCGI/Forum...TML/000668.html

3rd choice, Mega Squirt as above but you have to build it yourself, DIY kit some assembly required. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

4th choice, 44IDF Webers plus a Mallory dizzy, you will also need a low pressure fuel pump. Don't expect great results if your using a stock cam.

5th choice, buy a progresive carb and throw it straight into a lake, if it floats you can use it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Mar 21 2003, 12:51 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Mike,

Did you get what you needed (info wise) ??

B
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Mar 21 2003, 07:43 PM
Post #4

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

Time for the voice of reason to intervene here! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
i have never driven a 914 w/ FI...so my experice w/ that is limited, listen to the other guys on that topic. but as for carbs...that is another ssubject!
I am running an otherwise stock 2.0 w/ a moderate cam, and dual 44 weber idf's. runs great. running a bosch 050 "dizzy" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ......runs great. great all around power and torque....not running the chokes though...(a little harder to start in cold mornings) once you have averything installed, sync the carbs and your off like a dress on prom night (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
no wiring needed...just buy a facet fuel pump and put it up in the front trunk. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) enjoy!
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 21 2003, 08:20 PM
Post #5

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Rarely is the ECU dead but it happens. What is wrong with the car? Check and read Brad Anders website first at: members.rennlist.com/pbanders for the low down on Djet. There is a troubleshooting section too that describes the symtoms of what happens when something goes wrong. You will make more power with the Djet than carbs unless you switch out the cam.

Geoff
+Quote Post
TimT
post Mar 21 2003, 08:44 PM
Post #6

retired

Member No.: 313

I think location should be a required field... Then maybe some of us might be close enough to lend a hand..

In any event Im a 914 newbie, but a 20+ yr 911 veteran.

I did help a friend years ago install webers on his 914-4

we pulled all the injection stuff off the car. and bolted up the intakes and carbs.. and drove away without a clue about balancing carbs etc LOL

l
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Mar 21 2003, 08:50 PM
Post #7

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

When you decide to come to the dark side I have a set of 44IDF's and all the linkage stuff for cheap. mk4526gunner@hotmail.com
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 21 2003, 10:21 PM
Post #8

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Tim, that USED to be the hot ticket for more hp. Oh Yeah!
But then we realized that it didn't make the same power really, and we started to figure out how in the world to fix and adjust the Djet.
Geoff
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 21 2003, 10:32 PM
Post #9

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Let's see.... Carbs, linkage, manifolds. Fuel pump and regulator. Air cleaners. That's an absolute minimum. The stock distributor can be used, though a lot of people like to swap to an 009 (yuck!!) or 050 centrifugal-advance-only distributor. If you've got $$$, the Mallory is supposed to be a very good distributor for carbed cars.

Don't run the fuel pump off of the coil; you want all the juice going to the coil you can. You can plug in the EFI power supply relay and plug the pump wire into the right-front pin on the four-pin connector on the relay board. If you're putting the pump up front, you can probably run it off of a switched circuit on the fuse panel.

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:24 PM