Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Exhaust stud install after installing TimeCert, WTF?!!
Jake Raby
post Jan 23 2008, 10:57 AM
Post #41

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Glad we were able to satisfy you... Sorry for the issue, we actually found a few more studs with the same issue.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jan 23 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #42

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 23 2008, 08:57 AM) *

Glad we were able to satisfy you... Sorry for the issue, we actually found a few more studs with the same issue.

No worries, apparently yours wasn't the only shop that received 9x1.25 studs that weren't really 9x1.25 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I really appreciated the quick turnaround.

I typically would mount all the parts loosely first, getting every part aligned nicely ( HX's, muffler and hanger). Then I go around tightening things up snug, and finally a round of torquing to spec. If you tighten the HX's before mounting the muffler, then chances are it will not mate up. After some heat cycling you will find most fasteners will loosen up. So you have to back anyways to finish up the job.

Yup, I did find out that things didn't line up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . I guess I'll be loosening the exhaust bolts again to get things to things to line up so I can get the muffler on.

I wish the muffler was supported more by the hanger than it is. Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong, but it seems like only having 1 bolt on each side going through the hanger puts unnecessary strain on the exchangers. The hanger takes care of a lot of downward force from the muffler's weight, but with it being fastened by only 1 bolt at the bottom on each side of the muffler, the exchangers would bear a lot of the fore/aft force when the car is breaking and accelerating. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jan 23 2008, 04:22 PM
Post #43

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Turns out I have a 1.7/1.8 style exhaust. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) Not sure how I missed that when I bought all the other parts for the backdate. Luckily I got it used and it wasn't too much $.

Off to post an ad for a 2.0 muffler... Maybe I'll have this thing on the road by summertime. ack.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 05:50 PM