Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT-944 as a daily driver...
Aircooledfool
post Jan 9 2008, 09:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,858
Region Association: None

I have a chance to buy a one owner '83 944 for $3000. The car is in great shape and has 36K miles. Red paint is a little oxidized but should buff out. Am I crazy to consider this car? Am I really just buying a big mechanics bill?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 18)
jasons
post Jan 9 2008, 09:49 PM
Post #2

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

Like all 944's you need to know history and records. Most notably, the timing/balance belts, and the clutch. If those parts have been done in the past 2 years or so. They should be serviceable. If not, plan on $1500-$2000 in repairs off the bat. Even with low miles, if those parts are 20+ years old, they are timebombs.

Oh and I would say, no your not crazy if its a nice car.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 9 2008, 11:09 PM
Post #3

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

36k miles?? Thats probably not real.. Be prepared to do some work to it, as things go out over time not just miles.. Asside from that...

I drove a 944 turbo for 5 years daily. Still miss that car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (sold it)
+Quote Post
Sparky
post Jan 9 2008, 11:16 PM
Post #4

Mahna Mahna!

Member No.: 847

Also check the water pump. I stopped playing with 914's to play with 944's and 951's. A prepped 951 is scary fast (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) I sold the last of my p-cars recently and am torn between doing another teener, or a 968. I really enjoy the comfort that the 944's provide over the 914 but I also miss the less is more elegance of a 914.

My best,
Mike D.
+Quote Post
ahdoman
post Jan 9 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #5

It's phonetic...Ah-D-O-Man (Audioman)

Member No.: 5,084
Region Association: Southern California

If the mileage is that low you really need to make sure they have receipts for maintenance. Not driving a car that old means that it's very possible for the seals to be all dried up. If that's the case jasons is correct. You're looking at a $1500 bill minimum to replace everything in the front of the engine; seals, belts and water pump.
+Quote Post
i love porsche
post Jan 9 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,030
Region Association: North East States

i drive an 88 924S everyday. its a great car, prettymuch the same as an 83 944 but with more power, i love it and as long as you keep it maintained and dont mind the occasional oil leak, its a great and fun car to have
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jan 10 2008, 01:10 AM
Post #7

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

"keep it maintained" Timing belt/water pump/oil seals/balance belt and all the rollers every 40K miles. Big bux. 83s are a 1 year only car, in many respects, and have a LOT of 1st year problems. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 10 2008, 08:47 AM
Post #8

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 9 2008, 11:10 PM) *

"keep it maintained" Timing belt/water pump/oil seals/balance belt and all the rollers every 40K miles. Big bux. 83s are a 1 year only car, in many respects, and have a LOT of 1st year problems. The Cap'n

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with the Krust although 83' is my favorite year just because they have the manual roofs, no power steering. Little simpler car.

Get reciepts for timming belts, water pump etc. If they can't produce them, knock $750 from the price and go get it done ASAP.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Jan 10 2008, 10:16 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

I had a 87S model and it was a nightmare. I paid 3k for it.

I did my homework before buying and it was still bit me in the ass.

Mine had 44k orig miles, had the T belts pump ect done that year, was in nice shape, clean carfax ect. I thought it was a good deal.

I ended up having to redo the belts due to pump leaking, power steering pump went, and tons of tiny annoying things...

I admit, I don't have any patience for a project, that I'm trying to use as a daily, and sold it in one month at a loss...

I have not looked at any used 944 ads since

Ferg
+Quote Post
914-8
post Jan 10 2008, 10:38 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,461

What are the differences between an 83 and an 84, or an early 85?
+Quote Post
keske968
post Jan 10 2008, 10:50 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 6,778

I have a 1994 968 that I use as a daily driver. I love every second of it. Costs a little more to keep it maintained but worth every penny.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Jan 10 2008, 11:28 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

QUOTE(914-8 @ Jan 10 2008, 09:38 AM) *

83's had now power steering for one...
+Quote Post
slackin' at work
post Jan 10 2008, 11:58 AM
Post #13

i should be working

Member No.: 8,215
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Aircooledfool @ Jan 9 2008, 10:42 PM) *

I have a chance to buy a one owner '83 944 for $3000. The car is in great shape and has 36K miles. Red paint is a little oxidized but should buff out. Am I crazy to consider this car? Am I really just buying a big mechanics bill?

I think a 944 would be a great daily driver. I just saw one parked yesterday after reading this thread and was like "sweet". It was a beater and looked quite worn-out but I bet the owner loved it.

I myself have been thinking HARD about a nice 928. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jan 10 2008, 12:10 PM
Post #14

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(914-8 @ Jan 10 2008, 08:38 AM) *

The Motronic ECU is one year only, as is the one on an 84 HUGE bucks, and easily damaged. I believe some of the engine electronics are less sophisticated than later models. Suspension is more 924 than later 944. Sunroof is different, I believe, and any repairs involve an extensive update ($$$$$$$). Interior is a bit cheesier, I think.
I've only serviced a couple of the really early cars, and there aren't really any around here anymore. I just heard about a sale of one a friend did at his shop. Reconditioned the head, replacement ECU, belts, seals, rollers, nice shape as far as cosmetics, real nice paint. Sold for $3500, and I doubt he came close to what he had in it.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 10 2008, 01:50 PM
Post #15

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

83's - No power steering, manual sunroof, early 924 style interior
84's - Yes, one year only ECU, introduced power steering, power sunroof
85's - pretty much unchanged execpt the ECU was more standardized
85 1/2 - big interior upgrade - radio attena in windshield.
86 - Even better engine management better torque
87 - Big timming belt upgrade, spring loaded tensioner, extra guide. Mucho better. Offset on wheels different.

There are a ton more differences of course, but those are some of the main ones to look for.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jan 10 2008, 02:56 PM
Post #16

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

I bought a 88 944 NA in March of 07. I use it every day rain, sun or snow. It is a good car. Mine had 62K miles on it when I got it and has almost 71K miles now. In the first three months I spent $1200 on need repairs. Most of it was new belts and rollers. The only reason why I had them done was while mileage wise they only had 9k on them, they were over 10 yrs old. I did have a CV joint start clicking on me. Again I just went ahead and replaced the joints which actually was a pretty easy jod to do. If you get a chance check out Clark's Garage. Lots of 944 info.

Just remember with any old car it WILL need repair at sometime. While I am far from a mechanic, with the help from the 944 guys on Pelican and the tech info on Clark's I feel I can do almost any job on the car. I would get PPI done on it first if you are serious about it. If all checks out good then go for it.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jan 10 2008, 04:14 PM
Post #17

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

Sell the motor and put an LS1 V8 in there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 10 2008, 06:44 PM
Post #18

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jan 10 2008, 11:50 AM) *

83's - No power steering, manual sunroof, early 924 style interior
84's - Yes, one year only ECU, introduced power steering, power sunroof
85's - pretty much unchanged execpt the ECU was more standardized
85 1/2 - big interior upgrade - radio attena in windshield.
86 - Even better engine management better torque
87 - Big timming belt upgrade, spring loaded tensioner, extra guide. Mucho better. Offset on wheels different.

There are a ton more differences of course, but those are some of the main ones to look for.

85.5 also had a suspension change that happened again in 87. 85.5 & 86 cars have their own suspension pieces. Same design as pre and post but different specs. Be aware of that. Nothing wrong, just someting to note. Also don't be fooled into thinking an 87 or lateer doesn't require an accurate belt tension. Yeah the timing belt got a spring loaded tensioner but the balance shaft belt didn't. Improperly adjusted balance belt can yield the same wipeout as a timing belt.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 10 2008, 06:45 PM
Post #19

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

Sport seats are the best thing since sex with sliced bread. I've got a set that I have transferred to my 3rd car now. I'll NEVER let them go. If you can find them GET THEM !!!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:33 PM