Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The 170 HP MassIVe 2056cc beast, And it only has 9:1 CR, video links within!
Jake Raby
post Jan 28 2008, 08:32 AM
Post #1

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Thats right...
We have just broken RAT history again and have exceeded our expectations on the very first pull from a recently developed 2056 combo using a cam that was developed in 2006 and a set of off the shelf LE 200 heads!

Attached Image

This engine was originally going to be equipped with our roller lifters, but due to continued challenges we had to scratch the rollers and apply conventional lifters to the engine. The power we have made with this engine using the conventional lifters is basically the same or just a tad more than we were looking for with the rollers, so I am VERY happy.

The graph posted below is from the engine's VERY FIRST pull and we know this combo has more potential that will be found in tuning alone as we continue to understand how the combination functions.

Now, the most amazing part of this is the fact that this engine absolutely annihilates the best 2270 combos from 2-3 years ago in every way! It makes just as much torque, and more HP that our 9:1 Performer 2270 did in 2006!

Last week Charles from LN engineering came down for another round of oil testing and we used this engine for the analysis. After testing 11 oils we decided to pull the heads back off the engine to see if Len can find even more power. We'll have the heads back this week and will get more results.

I honestly expect 190 HP from this engine with the changes Len will make and the CR we plan on adding. At 9:1 this engine would run easily on 89 octane and based on the timing settings the engine liked it will love 9.5-9.8:1 CR

You can view a short video we threw together from the oil testing on youtube here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYV8OD8Ohlg&feature=user

This one is just days away from being added to my turn key engine catalog... This may be the best cost/HP engine we have ever created and it still has great torque!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Jake Raby
post Jan 28 2008, 08:44 AM
Post #2

Engine Surgeon

OOps! Wrong graph got posted somehow!! That first graph is the typical power we see from a 2056.. Here is the one I should have posted. Sorry about that!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 28 2008, 09:01 AM
Post #3

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

wow agin!! 44s with 32 vents, tall mainfolds and a mallory?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 28 2008, 09:04 AM
Post #4

Engine Surgeon

Nope, off the shelf 45 Dellortos and tall manifolds..

The short manifolds will more than likely give us too much top end and sacrifice torque. I want to retain this torque or capitalize on it!!

+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jan 28 2008, 09:06 AM
Post #5

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

How would this combo do with the twin TB'S?
+Quote Post
Trevorg7
post Jan 28 2008, 09:07 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,241
Region Association: Southwest Region

Very cool!

Congrats

T
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 28 2008, 09:20 AM
Post #7

Engine Surgeon

This cam has carburetor characteristics.. More than likely FI would HURT this combo's power..
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 28 2008, 09:21 AM
Post #8

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

i'm Del ingnant. how do the 45s compare to a set 44s configed as i mentioned? my guess is a tangerine is bolted up. if you were ever so inclined, i'd find it interesting to see a test for those that don't have the scratch for one of chris' systems and run 2.0 ss hes and a performance exhaust, or a powerplant designed for them.

k
+Quote Post
Pnambic
post Jan 28 2008, 10:01 AM
Post #9

Honk if you like obscene gestures!

Member No.: 546

i'm Del ingnant. how do the 45s compare to a set 44s configed as i mentioned? my guess is a tangerine is bolted up. if you were ever so inclined, i'd find it interesting to see a test for those that don't have the scratch for one of chris' systems and run 2.0 ss hes and a performance exhaust, or a powerplant designed for them.

k

I second this motion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 28 2008, 10:30 AM
Post #10

Engine Surgeon

This engine would not be supported by Heat exchangers. The cam it uses is heavy on exhaust duration and requires an exhaust like Chris'

The 44 Weber flows 290 CFM Vs the 45 dell's 330 CFM, but a 44 weber should support the engine with ease. I'll know when I get the heads back on it with more CR and we go for round 2.
+Quote Post
brer
post Jan 28 2008, 11:00 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,736
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Jan 28 2008, 11:25 AM
Post #12

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

Jake, the end of that video cracked me up. you are having way too much fun being the engine DR/mad scientist. I bet you like the smell of brad penn. I know I do. few are fortunate enough to enjoy their job as much as us.

PS. that would make a kick butt CP engine to run in PCS AX. I think it would be no contest against a regular 2.0 carbd engine

will this technology tranfer to your stroker mojos to increase their output also?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 28 2008, 12:03 PM
Post #13

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

So, based upon those results, what would the 2270 do with a similar cam/head combo?

Rich
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 28 2008, 12:20 PM
Post #14

Engine Surgeon

Jake, the end of that video cracked me up. you are having way too much fun being the engine DR/mad scientist. I bet you like the smell of brad penn. I know I do. few are fortunate enough to enjoy their job as much as us.

Yep.. I do have a lot of fun... The scent of Brad Penn can be noted from the tailpipe 100 feet away!!

PS. that would make a kick butt CP engine to run in PCS AX. I think it would be no contest against a regular 2.0 carbd engine

No way, it has almost 100HP more than stock, not bad from less than 100ccs of added displacement!!

will this technology tranfer to your stroker mojos to increase their output also?

Development with this will occur soon.. BUT there is a compromise of this cam being ran with stroke.. Thats because the lovbe lift is hefty and requires a seriously reduced base circle. the reduced B/C pulls the lifters further from their bores when on the heel of the lobe and that weakens the bores and makes for more wear...

This is why I always preach that it's all in the combo, because a 2270 with this cam may make big power, but wouldn't meet my demands for longevity for the MassIVe program.

That being said I'll almost bet that this cam, when used in a 2270 will make LESS power than with the 2056 and thats because bigger simply isn't better than "smarter"...

So, based upon those results, what would the 2270 do with a similar cam/head combo?

I'll let the engine tell me.. Give me 45 days.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 28 2008, 12:22 PM
Post #15

Custom Member

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 28 2008, 01:20 PM) *

Yep.. I do have a lot of fun... The scent of Brad Penn can be noted from the tailpipe 100 feet away!!

No way, it has almost 100HP more than stock, not bad from less than 100ccs of added displacement!!

Development with this will occur soon.. BUT there is a compromise of this cam being ran with stroke.. Thats because the lovbe lift is hefty and requires a seriously reduced base circle. the reduced B/C pulls the lifters further from their bores when on the heel of the lobe and that weakens the bores and makes for more wear...

This is why I always preach that it's all in the combo, because a 2270 with this cam may make big power, but wouldn't meet my demands for longevity for the MassIVe program.

That being said I'll almost bet that this cam, when used in a 2270 will make LESS power than with the 2056 and thats because bigger simply isn't better than "smarter"...

I'll let the engine tell me.. Give me 45 days.

I figured you just found some new magic and you would try it on your favorite motor...just curious if you had already done it.

Rich
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Jan 28 2008, 12:24 PM
Post #16

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658
Region Association: None

"Have a milk jug of oil...It's good for the heart" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 28 2008, 01:06 PM
Post #17

Engine Surgeon

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jan 28 2008, 11:24 AM) *

"Have a milk jug of oil...It's good for the heart" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yeah.. I was just goofing off with the video camera and software, trying to get as much editing experience as possible :-)
+Quote Post
kart54
post Jan 28 2008, 01:25 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 3,520

Jake,
I have to tell you, I sometimes think you are a little heavy handed in your posts but that video is great!!! It was informative, entertaining and funny. I've gained a whole new respect for you. Your personality doesn't come through in your posts in any way close to the way it does in that video.
Keep up the good work! I'm anxious to see the results of this test, where can they be found?
Kart54
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 28 2008, 01:48 PM
Post #19

Engine Surgeon

QUOTE(kart54 @ Jan 28 2008, 12:25 PM) *

Jake,
I have to tell you, I sometimes think you are a little heavy handed in your posts but that video is great!!! It was informative, entertaining and funny. I've gained a whole new respect for you. Your personality doesn't come through in your posts in any way close to the way it does in that video.
Keep up the good work! I'm anxious to see the results of this test, where can they be found?
Kart54

I learned long ago that people only allow things to sink in here on the forums if it is bold and firm...

The video is really who I am.. You'll be seeing many, many more videos in the coming months....
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 28 2008, 02:09 PM
Post #20

Custom Member

Interesting point.
I noticed in one of the first TV commercials for Obama that he had an aweful time looking at the camera. He kept reading the Q card and the result was he looked shifty eyed.
I sent an email to his keepers to point that out.
I was not the only one who noticed this...he no longer does one on one with the camera, he stopped that format all together.

Point being is that we each have our own style that works best when marketing and maybe the videos are better, who knows.

Rich
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 03:19 AM