Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Cost to build AutoX and DE 914
BruceWard
post Jan 8 2004, 02:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,530

Hi, I currently have a 968 Cab which I love but I would like to have a 914 for Autocross and DE events. There is a 914 boneyard with about 20 parts cars and a few extremely knowledgable 914 guys in my local PCA.

I am new to the 914 world and am hoping for advice and reality checks on my assumptions.

I would like to buy a 914 with or without engine and interior that has as little rust as possible with the plans of dissassembling, installing wheel flares, sealing and repainting the body. Then rebuilding a type IV engine to be fitted, installing new suspension, brakes, roll cage, seats, harnesses, wheels and tires.

Eventually I may want to go with a more powerful motor, but to begin with I think something in the 100 - 120 HP range would be good to allow seat time to learn how to drive before looking for more power.

I think the plan would look something like this

Stage 1, locate 914 body, flares and cage. Media blast all old paint, rust, etc and have bottom sealed and top painted.

Stage 2, purchase and install suspension, brakes and wheels to have a rolling chassey.

Stage 3, rebuild engine (perhaps transmission) and install.

Stage 4, Install racing seats and harnesses to complete operating car.

Stage 5, connect guages, lights and other accessories.

I am not sure if I intend to register this car and have it street legal or for it to be a trailered track only vehicle. My wife will be very interested in driving it as well.

I would like to keep the vehicle as light as is cost effective.

What do you guys think each of the stages or the whole project should cost? I plan to do most of the labour myself.

I would really appreciate your comments, feedback and guidance.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 06:20 PM