Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> wing comments, rear wing
J P Stein
post Feb 7 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #21

Irrelevant old fart

Group: Members
Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 7 2008, 05:19 PM) *

It really won't make any difference in an autocross situation Jon. Only on the track do these ground effects really work wonders. On the track a splitter also needs to be balanced by a spoiler.

Humph.......tell it to this guy.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Feb 7 2008, 08:09 PM
Post #22

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 7 2008, 07:19 PM) *

It really won't make any difference in an autocross situation Jon. Only on the track do these ground effects really work wonders. On the track a splitter also needs to be balanced by a spoiler.

Giggle giggle snort.

Yes they do work at an Autocross if the event course layout is fast. anything over 45-50 MPH.

I have been to 4th gear before because I hit the 6250 RPM rev limiter in 3rd.

Anyway I lowered my air dam to the hieght if a 4x4 (3 3/4") when the car is at normal ride hieght (4 1/2")

It is even with the bumper pad when viewed from above the blade is 6" deep.
the under belly splitter board goes back to the line of the front axle and join nicely with the steering rack cover. made of 1/8" Luan laminated with layers of fiberglass. Strong enough for my 7yr old sone to stand on. and hit a cone without worry going over 60 MPH

I can feel the effects of heavier steering starting around 45-50 MPH.

My next one will be built to the limit of the rules and require struts to hold it up.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Feb 7 2008, 08:10 PM
Post #23

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

Ok, they will make a difference, if they're big enough. And if you are going fast enough. A little Al one that sticks out an inch or 2 won't do anything at those speeds (kind of like the things that are on alot of ricers), and you still need to balance it out.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Feb 7 2008, 08:17 PM
Post #24

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey Joe

Could you please send me some pics of your air dam/ splitter so I can see what it looks like. I am crafty, but my father in law is the one who really knows how to work with composites. If I have a picture to show him what I need it will help greatly in making it.

Thanks.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Feb 7 2008, 08:22 PM
Post #25

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

IF I could come up with a 200 sq in wing at a resonable price.....that I knew worked & a splitter that didn't stick out past the front bumper.....same requirements as above, I'd go fer em'. I get airflow to the spoiler as is, but I'm not convinced that it does much good......there is a cool factor tho.(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Feb 7 2008, 08:26 PM
Post #26

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463

so the discussion is bringing up some good points - all aero stuff is very car and use dependent. So if you want to AX and have "high" speed oversteer ("high" being quoted as 55-70mph on larger courses is high for AX but not for an interstate hwy let alone road course) then you want a big, FAT wing (fat in foil shape) and will probably run a maximum angle (right near wing "stall") to get both a spoiler and wing effect. So first you add the wing, which tends to overshoot and create understeer. So now you start adding splitter to counteract that to the point of how you want the car to feel.

So my car had NASTY high speed oversteer (125+ mph sweeps at Willow Springs thru T8) with the V8 and 930 trans (both much heavier than stock stuff) but not necessarily low speed oversteer (I can use the go-pedal with all the power to get what I want). So the car was scary. I then went to a whole new car setup (tube chassis, etc) and also added a wing at that time. I have a short splitter because I wanted to tune the car to just a slight plow (At speed expectation of 150+ thru T8 I wanted a safe bit of plow). So if I had stayed in CA to try a longer splitter, at some point the car would have gotten neutral and I would have scaled back to be somewhat safe. That is why I recommend an adjustable splitter that you can slide back and forth to fine tune the front downforce to match the rear and get the driver feel you like (slight over, neutral or slight understeer). You tune the rear to the max downforce that doesn't drag mph down (unless the car is still unstable, then you go up to wing stall to fix that issue even if it slows the car slightly).
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Feb 7 2008, 08:40 PM
Post #27

I used to work with Tyson Schmidt, Wevo guy, when he lived in Seattle. My old boss goes down to see him about twice a year and they go to Willow. I think your 914 is the one they tell me about. They are very impressed, and they have some very nice 911's.
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Feb 7 2008, 08:53 PM
Post #28

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463

Phoenix - that may be. I never met Tyson tho' I know of him from guys that ran out there (he used to work on some of the 911s out there when he was in LA before going to WEVO) but he mentioned digging my car one time on the bird board. I never got to run the full tube car there with those guys tho' (I ran on a test and tune day about a month before moving to CO).

found this link about the COT splitter to give some of you guys ideas (maybe). Notice that pretty much exactly as Joe has done (and typically the rule of thumb), the splitter extends out about even with the bumper length. As stated, I started a bit shorter (which you can argue is stupid on my part as I could have easily removed material to a slight plow v. the impossible adding of mat'l - I don't always think everything completely thru hahahaha)

http://i.a.cnn.net/nascar/.element/img/1.0.../22/cot/COT.pdf
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Feb 8 2008, 01:47 AM
Post #29

Thanks for the link. That definately helps. I can make that.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 10:08 PM