Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Smoke During Start up Normal? 914-6, QUESTIONS
webtrader
post Feb 7 2008, 05:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,860

Hello all,

I have a question, this being my 1st air cooled flat 6 cyl Porsche I am not sure of something and hope you all can set my curiosity straight.

When I start up my 1971 914-6 after it has been sitting for a day or so, it smokes out the exhaust (blue) for maybe 30+ seconds but then it clears up and runs just fine and when started anytime warm it does NOT smoke?

I am being told by my local PORSCHE shop owner that this is a normal condition for these older flat 6 engines?

Thanks for any comments or help with this question.

LOVE my 914-6 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
appbiz
post Feb 7 2008, 05:31 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,488

911 guy here

Quasi normal, your car has a dry sump and once engine stops you will have a little extra oil in the crankcase, once you start it up it will be tranfered back to the tank, but you will get a little seepage that burns off quickly. your oil filter has a check valve the helps with this problem, if is is really annoying you try changing your filter, the check valve may has some debrise that is letting more oil seep by than normal.
you will find the more days your car sits, the bigger puff of smoke you will see. You will also see more start up smoke if you park up hill and the car is not level for a period of time.
Bob
bob@appbiz.com
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Feb 7 2008, 06:00 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,922
Region Association: None

Noticed your in Eldorado hills!

You should come out to EuroSunday in Granite Bay, 8-10am this Sunday at Quarry Ponds...
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Feb 7 2008, 06:02 PM
Post #4

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Normal!

My 67 911s did this but ran like a champ for 10 years before I sold it! I did find that if I changed out the plugs more often it ran a bit stronger for the first 2-3 months before the oil started to build up on the plugs.

In the winter I would change the plugs from a bp6 to a bp7 to help burn the richer fuel for my short drives to work. Never had a problem!
+Quote Post
webtrader
post Feb 7 2008, 07:32 PM
Post #5

GUYS, THANKS for the repsponses and information. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

NOW, let me ask what is the best recommended oil and weight of oil to use in my BABY??

Thanks so much....

~Jim (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Allan
post Feb 7 2008, 07:38 PM
Post #6

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(webtrader @ Feb 7 2008, 05:32 PM) *

NOW, let me ask what is the best recommended oil and weight of oil to use in my BABY??

I run 20 - 50 Castrol in my 2.7 and it seems to do well. I don't run an external cooler and the temps stay between 180 and 210 degrees.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 7 2008, 08:01 PM
Post #7

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Feb 7 2008, 04:02 PM) *

Normal!

My 67 911s did this but ran like a champ for 10 years before I sold it! I did find that if I changed out the plugs more often it ran a bit stronger for the first 2-3 months before the oil started to build up on the plugs.

In the winter I would change the plugs from a bp6 to a bp7 to help burn the richer fuel for my short drives to work. Never had a problem!

You went to a COLDER plug "to help burn the richer fuel". That's the OPPOSITE of what you should have done. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 7 2008, 08:04 PM
Post #8

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(appbiz @ Feb 7 2008, 03:31 PM) *

911 guy here

Quasi normal, your car has a dry sump and once engine stops you will have a little extra oil in the crankcase, once you start it up it will be tranfered back to the tank, but you will get a little seepage that burns off quickly. your oil filter has a check valve the helps with this problem, if is is really annoying you try changing your filter, the check valve may has some debrise that is letting more oil seep by than normal.
you will find the more days your car sits, the bigger puff of smoke you will see. You will also see more start up smoke if you park up hill and the car is not level for a period of time.
Bob
bob@appbiz.com

Nice try, but it's wrong. Oil enters the valve guides and flows down into the intake and exhaust ports, along with oil that pools in the lower side of the horizontal cylinders, burning off on startup. If an older 911 doesn't smoke on startup, the guides are too tight. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Feb 7 2008, 08:14 PM
Post #9

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 7 2008, 06:04 PM) *

Nice try, but it's wrong. Oil enters the valve guides and flows down into the intake and exhaust ports, along with oil that pools in the lower side of the horizontal cylinders, burning off on startup. If an older 911 doesn't smoke on startup, the guides are too tight. The Cap'n

I have too tight guides then....I can live with it. The pic is not very clear but look at tops of the valves after 6-7 years of running. It does smoke on start up, tho. I'll buy into the Cylinder bit.(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Feb 7 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #10

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031

Yep, normal stuff for a flat 6. Check oil usage and smoking after warmup and pay no attention to the first 30 seconds. I live in El Dorado Hills too. Come to EuroSunday and we can all meet.....

Cap'n.....if it was bad guides, it would smoke when it was running as well. I just did guides in my 3.6. It didn't smoke at all on start up. Come to a quick stop or on a side hill it was terrible...mosquitoes ran!. Guides were worn .015.

Another issue is the ring gaps. They rotate around. If the oil ring gap is on the bottom you will get more smoke on startup.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Feb 7 2008, 11:13 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

A s far as oil, I've also used Castrol GTX 20w-50 with good success. The folks at LN engineering seemed to do good job on evaluating oils, and I think I'll switch to Brad Penn Oils in the future from their recommendations (Basically they are the old Kendall oils, which have been a long time favorite among those Porshephiles in the know).

My 6 also can be used for mosquito control spraying for the first 30 seconds, then normal.
+Quote Post
webtrader
post Feb 7 2008, 11:26 PM
Post #12

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) THANK YOU ALL for your answers and advise... I do appreciate it !!

I would love to go this weekend to the event and meet many of you but I will be at the NADA show in San Francisco so I won't be able to attend but I look forward to meeting many of you at a future event.

Thanks again,

Jim (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Feb 7 2008, 11:46 PM
Post #13

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

I always light a cigarette prior to turning the key ................

The Brown Turd (2.4L ) doesn't smoke on startup.

The Grey Ghost (2.7L) ... well, I'll let you know when I get it started.
+Quote Post
Allan
post Feb 8 2008, 08:21 AM
Post #14

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 7 2008, 09:46 PM) *

The Grey Ghost (2.7L) ... well, I'll let you know IF I get it started.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Feb 8 2008, 12:27 PM
Post #15

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

QUOTE(Headrage @ Feb 8 2008, 06:21 AM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 7 2008, 09:46 PM) *

The Grey Ghost (2.7L) ... well, I'll let you know IF I get it started.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) Not a question of IF; It's a question of WHEN. I am Slits.

Damn Turkish Bakertuckians anyway!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 10:57 PM