Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The 25-year/250,000-mile refresh, UPDATE 5.15.2017: After first 1,000-mile trip
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 1 2009, 04:14 PM
Post #141

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 1 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #142

Advanced Member

lots o work to do... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 1 2009, 04:21 PM
Post #143

Advanced Member

trunk!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 1 2009, 04:22 PM
Post #144

Advanced Member

open wide...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 1 2009, 04:23 PM
Post #145

Advanced Member

the "other" trunk

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
McMark
post Apr 1 2009, 04:25 PM
Post #146

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) NICE! Can't wait to see it in person.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 1 2009, 04:26 PM
Post #147

Advanced Member

and tucked in for the night next to its new(er) roommate. notice which one has the bigger oil leak! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 1 2009, 04:32 PM
Post #148

Advanced Member

It's been home for a couple of months (or at least a few weeks+ ) , so I feel like I've been leaving my family out by not posting.

They decided to take it down to bare metal. Interestingly, they found no more rust ANYWHERE, so this is a counterpoint to other advice about the stuff you may not see. On the other hand, I think I'd go with that advice rather than following my (intended) path. Was nice to know we identified all the rust spots before they stripped it down. The paint has some peel in it, more subtle texture than peel. I really like it, because it looks a little more "original" this way. It's nicer than it would have been in 1973, but it doesn't have that "Pebble Beach" paint feeling, which some love but leaves me cold.

I've done a lot since these photos were taken. The outer longs are now all red (just cuz, I guess...), the area behind the front bumper is done in Wurth high-build black, as the fenderwells will be, the dash vents are re-blacked, the grill underlays are blacked, the front strut bolts and plates are back to their correct cad plating, much of the lighting is in place, etc. Still a lot to do. The level of paint is making me do stuff I never did back in 1991, like clean every bolt before reinstallation, get rid of the 1991 overspray on wires etc. It won't be perfect, but it will be a very nice driver -- though my wife teases me that it will never see a freeway again.

I have some more crappy phone pictures (like the first three) from the car in primer and in process at the body shop. I'll see if I can resize some of them. They're not that interesting, though...

pete
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 1 2009, 04:45 PM
Post #149

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Hurry up you slacker. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Apr 1 2009, 04:48 PM
Post #150

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

Love the color, looks fantastic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

I am sure you can't wait to be driving it again.

The easiest way to resize photos I have found it to email them to yourself (if
you are using ms windows). It will ask it you want to resize. This will make
a 500K picture into about a 50K picture.

Great project, keep the pictures coming.

John

+Quote Post
veltror
post Apr 1 2009, 05:25 PM
Post #151

Member No.: 8,978

I still have a long way to go on mine... good luck
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Apr 1 2009, 05:33 PM
Post #152

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 1 2009, 02:32 PM) *

It's been home for a couple of months (or at least a few weeks+ ) , so I feel like I've been leaving my family out by not posting.

They decided to take it down to bare metal. Interestingly, they found no more rust ANYWHERE, so this is a counterpoint to other advice about the stuff you may not see. On the other hand, I think I'd go with that advice rather than following my (intended) path. Was nice to know we identified all the rust spots before they stripped it down. The paint has some peel in it, more subtle texture than peel. I really like it, because it looks a little more "original" this way. It's nicer than it would have been in 1973, but it doesn't have that "Pebble Beach" paint feeling, which some love but leaves me cold.

I've done a lot since these photos were taken. The outer longs are now all red (just cuz, I guess...), the area behind the front bumper is done in Wurth high-build black, as the fenderwells will be, the dash vents are re-blacked, the grill underlays are blacked, the front strut bolts and plates are back to their correct cad plating, much of the lighting is in place, etc. Still a lot to do. The level of paint is making me do stuff I never did back in 1991, like clean every bolt before reinstallation, get rid of the 1991 overspray on wires etc. It won't be perfect, but it will be a very nice driver -- though my wife teases me that it will never see a freeway again.

I have some more crappy phone pictures (like the first three) from the car in primer and in process at the body shop. I'll see if I can resize some of them. They're not that interesting, though...

pete

Pete,

Really beautiful paint, it appears to be a real deep red without any orange tint?? Now the fun part, assembly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

BTW: I might run your assembly procedure past my good Porsche friend "Professor Topper". hee, hee (private joke).

Tom
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 2 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #153

Advanced Member

QUOTE(veltror @ Apr 1 2009, 04:25 PM) *

I still have a long way to go on mine... good luck

Good gravy! You do indeed. You are a better man than I am, I'll tell you that much. If you're ever in San Francisco, the beer is on me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Keep strong!
+Quote Post
veltror
post Apr 2 2009, 09:43 AM
Post #154

Member No.: 8,978

I will take you up on that although have not been in the US since 98 or so, you guys stil drive on the right or was that just NY?
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 2 2009, 09:47 AM
Post #155

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Apr 1 2009, 04:33 PM) *

Pete,

Really beautiful paint, it appears to be a real deep red without any orange tint?? Now the fun part, assembly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

BTW: I might run your assembly procedure past my good Porsche friend "Professor Topper". hee, hee (private joke).

Tom

Yep, it's one of the purest reds I know: Tornado Red. No orange in it whatsoever. Very blue for a bright red.

Car was originally Bahia and I agonized over the decision of whether to stick with Tornado (which I changed it to in 1991) or go back to Bahia. Spent a lot of time looking at the Bahia sections on my car and, in the end, decided I just didn't like the color. I'm not much a red car guy, and really dislike orangy reds. Plus, my car is not an all-original kind of car and never will be -- and Pat Garvey and at least two really nice West Coast 914s have Bahia represented as it should be. So I went with what I liked.

Getting closer to trigger time, I started falling hard for Salsa Red on 2008 VW Beetles. A darker, blood red. Hit me between the eyes every time I saw one. But it was no longer a "cheat" from Bahia. It was a color change. And, if I was going to do that, it's rotisserie time. I just don't have the funds -- or need -- for that. So when the shop called to tell me the trunks were already painted, I was happy to know I wouldn't be losing anymore sleep.

Topper's alright by me. Laser vision. The right motive. Just hope he won't mind my sporadic after-deadline replies!

pete
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 2 2009, 09:50 AM
Post #156

Advanced Member

QUOTE(veltror @ Apr 2 2009, 08:43 AM) *

I will take you up on that although have not been in the US since 98 or so, you guys stil drive on the right or was that just NY?

No, NY drives on the sidewalks.

Here in CA, we drive mostly on the right, except when texting, faxing, or putting on makeup.

pete
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Apr 2 2009, 09:51 AM
Post #157

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

what's the story with the exhaust? pretty cool. is it a 'one off' or something that used to be available. the paint looks swell.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 2 2009, 10:00 AM
Post #158

Advanced Member

One other thing: I have never, ever, in all my travels, seen a paint shop with no overspray.

Until this job. From blasting to primer to paint, I never saw one iota of something that shop didn't want in an area it didn't belong in. Every time I walked in to look at the car (which wasn't often), I was shocked by how perfectly the interior and engine had been masked off and spared. I frankly could have left the whole interior in there, and I am not kidding. I haven't found so much as a dime-sized spot of overspray. They were so stingy with the paint, in fact, that they're going to have to spot in 2-3 minor details because they didn't QUITE get enough coverage -- which they will do in final detail after I've reassembled the car.

They must've looked at the overspray from 1991 and shook they heads. I've been doing the same while working to banish it once and for all...

pete

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 2 2009, 10:07 AM
Post #159

Advanced Member

sorry for the crappy iPhone photos! They say the best camera is the one you've got...but I'm not so sure

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 2 2009, 10:09 AM
Post #160

Advanced Member

I don't know how interesting these are, but...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 03:17 PM