Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The 25-year/250,000-mile refresh, UPDATE 5.15.2017: After first 1,000-mile trip
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 12 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #201

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

Hmm, I have to say if there is a downside to the mod it is that getting the seat on and off the rails is not fun. At all. I'll try to do it anyway next time I have the car out of the back of the garage.

Haven't made much progress of late. Need to re-do the brakes with new calipers (thanks Eric!) and re-do the carpeting in the front trunk. Then it needs to go back to the painter for a final buffing and detailing. I cannot believe how long it's been off the road, but buying a house and remodeling a kitchen and life has intervened. I am sure nobody can identify! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

EDIT: Took the seats out and got some photos of the completed setup. Yes, it only took me fo-eva. Text from another thread on adding Scheel seats:

Many moons ago, someone asked for photos of how my driver's seat was lowered. Getting the last pair of seats out wasn't fun, as I didn't take the time to get the rails aligned as well as they could be, but I took the opportunity to grab some photos of the setup today.

You can see that the cross bar under the front of the seat was cut out and "stepped down" with thicker metal. This was done at Genoa Racing in Novato, CA at the same time that the Engman chassis stiffening kit was added. I lost the ability to change the seat angle (which doesn't bother me, as it's pretty limited in the 914, and not bad as is), but dropped about 0.8 inch. Well worth it, imo...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 12 2011, 08:23 PM
Post #202

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

The up side is there is 24 hrs in a day. More time for everything else but the car... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Maybe she'll be ready for the WCR 2011?.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 27 2013, 11:38 AM
Post #203

Advanced Member

Long time no post. Kitchen remodel, bathroom remodel, job change, arrival of our first child, and the wildest year I've had in general conspired to put the car well down the priority list.

Anyway, got the motor out and had the engine/transmission area professionally steam-cleaned and detailed. After 250,000~ miles (est) and 40 years, I could not believe my eyes: It looks great down there. Everything passes the screwdriver test, and the hacky high-school job I did of cleaning up the original battery tray, repainting the area, and installing an Optima back in 1991 probably helped a lot.

Last night was the first (non-work) car time I've had in probably six months. And boy was it therapeutic. Three guys, one 914, and an empty race shop. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

Objectives: Punch holes for NOS 914-6 oil tank and install Rich Johnson engine mount.
Fuel: Arun Thai, the best Thai food in the north bay by miles.
Outcome: Just a great night.
Photos: Below (click on any to make it a bit clearer...)
Update since last time: Engine is done, all suspension rebuilt.

Can't wait to drive this thing again...and can't believe how long this project has stretched out!

pete

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914werke
post Apr 27 2013, 11:51 AM
Post #204

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Since you've gone this far Id take out the back pad if you haven't already & just check for any damage or thinning due to tin worm that may be lurking.
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Apr 27 2013, 12:43 PM
Post #205

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Pete,
Great to have you back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) Lookin forward to saying hello at Parade.
Tell us more about your engine & pics. please. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
Tom
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 27 2013, 03:18 PM
Post #206

Advanced Member

Engine is not one of the wilder setups. It's a "2.2E" built on an unstressed 911T case with a (nice) used Mahle E pistons and cylinders. It's got a bit more compression (splitting difference between E and S), Solex-grind cams, Weber 40s, Electromotive ignition on the engine (isolated by M-B mounts), headers, and (probably) a 911 sport muffler. May do something different with the muffler, we'll see.

We've been paying with the fan shroud strap and still need to touch the letters on the valve covers to spruce them up.

NOS oil tank was one of three that sat and sat and sat in the warehouse because someone mistakenly scrawled a 901 part number on each of them with a black pen—so Porsche didn't know it had them. Discovered years ago, this one has been waiting to find a home for a while.

Sorry about the phone pics, but that's what the builder, John Holleran, had handy. Then again, "the best camera is the one you've got" definitely applies here...wouldn't have had anything without it!

pete

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 29 2013, 11:09 AM
Post #207

Advanced Member

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Apr 27 2013, 11:43 AM) *

Pete,
Great to have you back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) Lookin forward to saying hello at Parade.
Tell us more about your engine & pics. please. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
Tom

Hey Tom!

And great to hear from you! Sorry I've been MIA...life's been crazy, but good! Hope the same is true for you.

pete
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Apr 29 2013, 12:07 PM
Post #208

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Ready for Mille?
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 30 2013, 02:33 PM
Post #209

Advanced Member

Pah, I think Melee would be a push. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Parade 2014, however... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

pete
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Apr 30 2013, 06:12 PM
Post #210

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Great looking/spec engine combo!
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Apr 30 2013, 06:24 PM
Post #211

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Looks good Pete! Arun Thai on Bel Marin Keys? I was just htere Friday. It was very good.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Apr 30 2013, 08:09 PM
Post #212

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Attached Image

Have a similiar project going right now to join my original owner '71 silver 914 in the background. '73 Bahia Red 2.0 getting a total restoration, hope to have it running by the end of the summer with my son's help (when he's not driving his 993 or Cayman).

Spend most of last weekend getting suspension back in...
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 30 2013, 09:23 PM
Post #213

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Krieger @ Apr 30 2013, 05:24 PM) *

Looks good Pete! Arun Thai on Bel Marin Keys? I was just htere Friday. It was very good.

Yup. Place has to be the best Thai north of SF. Actually, better than my favorite places in SF, as well. Funny we were so close at the same time. How is your six conversion coming? Hope all is well!
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 30 2013, 09:24 PM
Post #214

Advanced Member

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Apr 30 2013, 07:09 PM) *

Attached Image

Have a similiar project going right now to join my original owner '71 silver 914 in the background. '73 Bahia Red 2.0 getting a total restoration, hope to have it running by the end of the summer with my son's help (when he's not driving his 993 or Cayman).

Spend most of last weekend getting suspension back in...

That looks positively beautiful. The next time my car comes apart, it will be for that kind of job...but I'll have to save my pennies and wear it out again first. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

pete
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 30 2013, 09:25 PM
Post #215

Advanced Member

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Apr 30 2013, 05:12 PM) *

Great looking/spec engine combo!

Thanks!!
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Apr 30 2013, 11:21 PM
Post #216

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 30 2013, 08:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Krieger @ Apr 30 2013, 05:24 PM) *

Yup. Place has to be the best Thai north of SF. Actually, better than my favorite places in SF, as well. Funny we were so close at the same time. How is your six conversion coming? Hope all is well!

I may have seen you or somebody impersonating you this last Friday about 6:15 when I was going for Thai. Later model 911 turning from Digital to Westbound Bel Marin. I am so flipping close on my car....I was supposed to get the alignment two weeks ago but....Santa Rosa AX this Saturday. Congrats on. The little Stout.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Mar 26 2015, 10:10 PM
Post #217

Advanced Member

The glacial progress of my 914 "paint job > freshening > cosmetic restoration > brake upgrade > chassis rebuild > six conversion" continues, with the latest update being the car went onto the dyno at RPM Engines and surprised me.

With some tuning—mainly timing related—it made 169 hp at the rear wheels with 147 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheels. Applying a 15% powertrain loss factor, which always gives me the hives, that's 199 hp and 173 lb-ft at the flywheel. The torque comes on strong nice and low and then stays fairly consistent from there on up, from 3000~ rpm up to and through 6000 rpm. Not shabby for a small-bore 2.2, and very driveable. I'm told there's a little more power to be had with a different exhaust setup with the collectors moved further forward, and we lost more than we should have when the factory 914-6 air box went back on, so I need to figure out my final exhaust and intake setup before we do final tuning.

For the time being, however, I am one happy camper. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 26 2015, 10:21 PM
Post #218

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Mar 26 2015, 10:25 PM
Post #219

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

Sweet. There is nothing like a short stroke 911 engine in a light car.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 26 2015, 10:32 PM
Post #220

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Now you can drive it down to the West Coast Ramble! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Great to see it's coming along Pete. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 04:46 AM