Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> engine shroud and alternator on a /6, removal in the car
Gint
post Jan 12 2004, 08:15 AM
Post #41

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Agreed! I will resize pictures (sometime today, when I get some) and move it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jan 12 2004, 10:24 AM
Post #42

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Group: Members
Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Just got to this thread. Curious, why did you not remove the engine lid cover?
CCLINBTDT
+Quote Post
krk
post Jan 12 2004, 11:19 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 22

QUOTE(boxstr @ Jan 12 2004, 08:24 AM)
Just got to this thread. Curious, why did you not remove the engine lid cover?
CCLINBTDT

Should have! (did not occur to me until someone else mentioned it -- and I was mostly done) I may yet pop it off for the reassembly steps -- it's funny, the entire procedure was not that bad once you knew what to do. I'm sure next time it would go much more quickly.

We'll see how putting it all back together goes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif).

kim.
+Quote Post
krk
post Jan 24 2004, 06:54 PM
Post #44

Alrighty then.

First, I have a new alternator. $129 w/core. Old one was burnt out. They swapped the new one into the fan assembly as part of the deal -- took all of 7 minutes and I'm back in business.

So the dangerous part starts now. I figured, hey, as long as I'm in there.... Ok, so not quite -- I'd be happy to just put the sucker back together (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) and see if it runs. But I took the fan shroud off completely, mostly to tease Gint, but also to get a look underneath for a visual inspection. I think I've got two or three issues to contend with.

First the shroud itself is cracked -- looks like a PO tried to force it out and fractured the fiberglass. I'll clean it off tonight and see what the repair looks like. (doesn't look all that hard) I'll post pics of that later.

I have two possibly more serious issues to ask about.

The first is what appears to be an oil leak on the top of the engine. The front two bolts on top of the case appear to have reasonably fresh oil on them. (It's not completely fresh, and the engine hasn't run for any length of time in a couple of months, so it's a little hard to say) The pic from the drivers side shows the top two bolts, and on to the case just above the cylinders.

It may be nothing (there was an oil leak on top of the engine a while ago as one of the oil lines was not tight enough) but I got'sta ask.

kim.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
krk
post Jan 24 2004, 06:56 PM
Post #45

The next thing I can see is that there is crap on the top of the oil cooler. Now, on the morrow, I intend to mess with my shopvac and see what sort of clean up I can affect. But I was wondering if there are other things I could/should be doing to clean this guy out since I can get at the top of him?

kim.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jan 24 2004, 08:12 PM
Post #46

Mike Ginter

Nice work Kim. Anybody make 911 engine shrouds?

Oil cooler cleaning - Get a case of brake cleaner and apply it liberally down the cooler.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jan 24 2004, 08:20 PM
Post #47

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

OK, so what is the question?

It appears that you're not the first one to be rootin' around in there. Your cylinders look to be aluminum
rather than iron.

I would say you have an oil leak(at least one).
The leak at the case split can be fixed only by splitting the case unless you get real lucky. The bolts/nuts may be loose, but tightening them will only slow it down....better than nuthin'. The fan blows any leaks all over creation......like into the oil cooler (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

By all means, clean the thing off...best you can.

BTW, I take off the trunk lid for any serious engine room work. By kneeling in the trunk, you can really get after "stuff".

Shop vacs and voliatle fumes are a real bad combo. Use care.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jan 24 2004, 08:48 PM
Post #48

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

911 Engine shrouds? AIR makes a CF one.
+Quote Post
krk
post Jan 24 2004, 08:50 PM
Post #49

JP:

great point on the shopvac/fume issue. I'll be mindful.

On your other point (am I the first? doubtful....), I'll have to dig out the docs from the purchase -- we're in a house reno situation and not all paper can be easily found. You ask "my point?" -- you've supplied it. I wouldn't have spotted what you easily did! (i.e. aluminum cylinders)

Gint:

If I fire brake cleaner down the cooler, will it land in a reasonably predictable area under the car? (i.e. we're in my car port -- I'm trying not to hose up the surface under it. It's already marked the tranny area as it's own .... but that's the next project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) )

kim.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jan 24 2004, 08:53 PM
Post #50

Mike Ginter

Put some plastic under it. Brake cleaner will evaporate, eventually.
+Quote Post
krk
post Jan 24 2004, 08:56 PM
Post #51

QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 24 2004, 06:53 PM)
Put some plastic under it. Brake cleaner will evaporate, eventually.

Cool. I do wanna clean the top of this puppy off -- just seems sensible to start clean, as they say. Thx.

kim.
+Quote Post
krk
post Jan 25 2004, 12:58 AM
Post #52

Alrighty then. Somewhere in the past, a PO with more grunt than thinking fractured the shroud around the fan area. (I have some sympathy -- before I found all the secret bolts, I was thinking of using mere violence to rip the sucker out)

Anywho, I've added some 'glass to repair the shroud. (hm... it's prolly a halloween feeling, but the word "shroud" seems to remind me of things like "the shroud of turin" and so forth -- it must be git'n late!) In the morning, we'll tune up the repairs from a cosmetic point of view.

It also gave me a chance to wash up other bits before they go back on. JP is right -- any stray oil (or anything else for that matter) is nicely routed down the a channel in the shroud directly into the oil cooler. The channel in the shroud had a reasonable layer of crap in it -- not enough to choke air -- but enough that a cleaning was in order.

So tomorrow, with some luck, and after I take care of some "honey do's" (a new cabinet needs to be picked up, which means I need a truck, which means... well you get the idea), the next piece of work will be to clean off the top of the engine, and reinstall everything.

kim.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jan 25 2004, 01:03 AM
Post #53

Mike Ginter

I know I don't have to ask for pics of the "clean" upper side before shroud re-install?
+Quote Post
krk
post Jan 25 2004, 01:22 AM
Post #54

Damn, Gint, I was gonna cheat a bit -- pics will make me actually clean all that crap up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

But yeh, I'll shoot the reassembly process. (mostly cause I can't remember how it all goes back together -- this way I get to ask questions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif))

kim.
+Quote Post
krk
post Feb 9 2004, 08:42 PM
Post #55

Reassembly has begun. The alternator is seated, and the diffuser (or whatever it's called) attached, including the ground strap (Thanks Carl!!!! I couldn't remember where it went, and none of the photos had it -- and talking with him reminded me where it went)

So I have the shroud and it's bits (the two "other" pieces") tacked in to place. But I have a couple of parts that I have no recollection of where they go, and in scoping around, couldn't see any possiblities. I normally group parts and bag them -- but this time I did not label them (shame on me) so I have a pic of three parts that I just don't know where they belong. And I don't wanna tighten things down without knowing they don't somehow go "underneath".

Here's the pic. Any help appreciated as always!

kim.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Feb 9 2004, 08:48 PM
Post #56

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

the sheet metal capscrew i can't help you with, but it probably is used to attach the Z bracket to the fan housing, where it would have been used to hold a plug wire separator. the square grommet sits in a center manifold hole and is used as a plugwire separator.
+Quote Post
krk
post Feb 9 2004, 08:53 PM
Post #57

Rich,

Thx muchly. That makes perfect sense. (the other bits will no doubt find homes in a similar area -- I package neighbors together)

kim.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Feb 9 2004, 10:09 PM
Post #58

Mike Ginter

Rich is absolutely correct on all counts.
+Quote Post
krk
post Feb 9 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #59

Ok, putting in screws from the sides are clearly the ugly ones. There is one under the dizzy that is just blind, and the surface isn't a level fit. I've no idea how I hit that one. But there are two on the back of the oil cooler that tonight I can't even find. (If the damn shroud went "outside" em and hide 'em, I'll whack something.) Ah well -- too late and too dark. Tomorrow we'll see what I've screwed up this time.

I love this.

kim.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Feb 10 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #60

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Dont ever buy the Carbon Fiber shrouds. We spent a solid 8 hours drilling/cutting to make the damn thing fit. They come with NO holes in them for fasteners or INTAKE manifolds.

Good job Kim. Looks like you are well on your way.

B
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 04:10 AM