Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Mittelmotor 914 Update!, Had a talk with Ingo on Saturday...
stephenaki
post Feb 18 2008, 11:57 AM
Post #1

Can I get this one dad??

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,987
Region Association: None

OK, I went to Cologne this weekend and on the way up stopped by to see Ingo at Mittelmotor to see what the deal was...I was prepared for the worst based on his email.

Well, based on his email, and some information from this forum, it is not near as bad as I feared. Let me summarize this and get to the point and, I will need some input from the group on some issues.

1. Diesel problem, fixed. They changed out 3 of the plugs, one was stubborn so they decided better I break it than them, and fuel filter. Runs fine now.

2. Front axle not a problem, he thinks the shocks should be changed. Otherwise the tierods and A-arms were solid.

3. Brake lines. Fairly well worn and the lines from the metal tubing to the brakes definately need replacing.

4. Engine and Gear Box leak. Need to replace some seals, nothing that requires the engine to be dropped.

5. Lights and wipers. still inop and the lower right fog?driving light? is busted.

6. Engine mounts need replacing. All four are worn and the rubber cracked.

7. Rear axle (this had me worried). It IS attached to the car. What he was refering to was that the trailing arms had lateral play and he said that the pin that runs through it was bad and the entire trailing arm should be replaced on both sides.

So, here are my questions, most serious concern first.

1. Trailing arm lateral play, whats tolerance? Can the pin be replaced or do I have to replace the entire trailing arm? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) From what I can see, the whole unit must be replaced. This would be the most expensive problem.

2. Lights, what are common problems that people have experienced that would cause the headlights and driving lights to shut down? All the other lights and turn signals work.

Bottom line, not that big a problem, the cost was going to be the labor, they charge A LOT!! Needless to say brakes are PITA and I didn't feel like messing with the seals so I had him fix those two problems. If I had my Mityvac I would have done the brakes but I don't and I hate bleeding brakes!

I go back next Saturday to pick up the car, I will put her on a trailer and bring it back to Stuttgart then drop it off at the on-post auto craft shop and work on it there. Barring any significant issues with the trailing arms, need your input on this one, I should have it up and ready for inspection before the end of March. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Of course this could all come to a screeching halt if they send me on another lovely trip somewhere else for a few weeks but I don't think that is in the cards right now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
stephenaki   Mittelmotor 914 Update!   Feb 18 2008, 11:57 AM
rhodyguy   shot bushings/pin on the trailing arms? look at th...   Feb 18 2008, 12:11 PM
stephenaki   shot bushings/pin on the trailing arms? look at t...   Feb 18 2008, 12:31 PM
TeenerTim   Never overlook the obvious. The bulb may be burned...   Feb 18 2008, 12:40 PM
stephenaki   Never overlook the obvious. The bulb may be burne...   Feb 18 2008, 12:47 PM
r_towle   Lets see, Oil leaks, motor mounts, bad plug...take...   Feb 18 2008, 01:38 PM
Eric_Shea   Well... true, we rarely see "wear" as ...   Feb 18 2008, 03:11 PM
Bleyseng   :WTF: :agree: When I visited in 2004 some of th...   Feb 18 2008, 06:45 PM
rick 918-S   I wouldn't put any stock in a visual inspectio...   Feb 18 2008, 06:53 PM
stephenaki   Thanks to all for the responses, I am thinking of ...   Feb 19 2008, 12:58 AM
hcdmueller   Check out Engmans website http://engmanparts.com ...   Feb 19 2008, 04:22 AM
stephenaki   Check out Engmans website http://engmanparts.com...   Feb 19 2008, 04:49 AM
rick 918-S   Someone should post a photo of a suspension consol...   Feb 19 2008, 08:20 AM
Eric_Shea   We don't know if that's the problem. I s...   Feb 19 2008, 11:45 AM
stephenaki   We don't know if that's the problem. I ...   Feb 19 2008, 01:33 PM
jd74914   If you are going to get a new fuse block get the n...   Feb 19 2008, 06:46 PM
stephenaki   Picked up a car and trailer today; will be off to ...   Feb 22 2008, 01:27 PM
Jeffs9146   Ovaling before repair and after repair!   Feb 22 2008, 05:41 PM
stephenaki   Ovaling before repair and after repair! I r...   Feb 23 2008, 01:34 PM
stephenaki   Ya know, the Army has a saying, "no plan surv...   Feb 23 2008, 02:02 PM
Eric_Shea   :whistle:   Feb 23 2008, 02:34 PM
1970 Neun vierzehn   Stephen, I'm nominating you for the "200...   Feb 23 2008, 02:48 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 06:16 AM