Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What do you think of this car?, 1973 914 2.0L
HeelnToe
post Mar 11 2008, 08:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,787
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Okay, folks, could use some help here. I'm taking a look at this car on Thursday. It looks pretty good in the photos, but being new to 914s, I'd love it if the folks here could let me know if you see anything I should be worried about.

I've posted an entire set of photos to Flickr here:

http://flickr.com/photos/jeffreysmith/sets...57604097717696/

(IMG:http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2060/2328288390_34f9401e67.jpg)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Mar 11 2008, 09:07 PM
Post #2

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884

Do you want anyone to come look at it with you? It looks nice from the pictures.

Never mind. I think you have that covered. From the pics it looks like a good 914. Buy it and come out on Saturday (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 11 2008, 09:08 PM
Post #3

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

Tell us some of the specifics about the car. Looks pretty nice. Assume it's a '73.
+Quote Post
HeelnToe
post Mar 11 2008, 09:39 PM
Post #4

So, here's what I know.

It's a three-owner 1973 2.0L and shows 42K miles on the odometer. The owner cannot verify the low mileage, so my guess is either that it's rolled once or had the speedo replaced.

A tuneup was done about 500 miles ago that included a valve adjustment, valve cover gasket, plugs, caps, wires, all belts, most hoses, brakes (pads, calipers, lines) and wheel bearings. Owner has documentation for the tune-up, but that's about it.

Body appears to be in good but not perfect shape. I don't see any serious rust in the photos, and the owner claims no bad runs anywhere. He said that he removed the rocker panels, too, and found no rust. This was about 6 months ago, if I remember what he said correctly.

Rear driver's side fender is missing the back portion of the Porsche decal. Owner is not sure if that panel was resprayed, but claims there is no overspray indicating that it was repainted. He has another set of Porsche decals.

The vinyl on the sails is peeling on both sides. Owner has replacement vinyl he is selling with the car.

Car is at the shop right now getting a speedo gasket replaced. There was a small leak on the back, apparently.

That's about it. I've exchanged emails with the owner and talked to him on the phone. Seems like a good guy, whatever that is worth. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Mar 11 2008, 09:48 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Looks nice, but drive it and check under the battery area for the dreaded hellhole rust.
+Quote Post
cobra94563
post Mar 11 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #6

Chris

Member No.: 3,696

Looks very nice from the pics.
+Quote Post
roadster fan
post Mar 11 2008, 11:25 PM
Post #7

Project Frankenstein !!!!!!!!

Member No.: 5,184
Region Association: Northern California

Looks nice, but I would look very carefully at the area at the bottom of the windshield (cowl) pictured as there could be a problem there based on the photo.

I would try to get an explanation as to why the graphic is missing from the driver's side rear quarter as the rest of the graphics look good. Examine hidden areas very carefully if the price seems too good to be true.

Hope it works out for you, "looks" like a nice car.

Jim
+Quote Post
HeelnToe
post Mar 12 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(roadster fan @ Mar 11 2008, 10:25 PM) *

Looks nice, but I would look very carefully at the area at the bottom of the windshield (cowl) pictured as there could be a problem there based on the photo.

I would try to get an explanation as to why the graphic is missing from the driver's side rear quarter as the rest of the graphics look good. Examine hidden areas very carefully if the price seems too good to be true.

Jim

What exactly concerns you? I see a scratch, but is there something else?
+Quote Post
73Phoenix20
post Mar 12 2008, 09:14 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 4,283

A few minor details...

Wrong shift boot and knob ... looks like it came out of a 915...

Wrong Speakers...

Fuchs are a question mark.... real ones are anodized (or completely polished)... fakes are painted as you see these, BUT... perhaps a PO painted these to resemble the five spoke Fuchs??? Pull a wheel and check for the Fox logo on the reverse...(Fuchs = Fox)

Probably more but that is a quick once over...

Drive the car for more than 50 miles... a short testdrive will not disclose the real issues if the fuel injection is screwed up...
+Quote Post
Rand
post Mar 12 2008, 11:32 AM
Post #10

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

If the hellhole is as nice as the rest of the car and it runs out good, it looks like a nice car. But after my experience I know I would be looking real close at the area below the battery and forward along the top of the frame rail for rust damage. The previous owner of my car did a masterful job of hiding it. It wasn't until I removed some of his covering and poked around with an icepick that I uncovered the truth.

In this picture, there are a couple spots that look like rust. Poke at them hard with an icepick to make sure it isn't worse underneath the surface because this area takes a hard hit if the hellhole got a start above.

(IMG:http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2131/2327474733_4a3ac931a9.jpg)
+Quote Post
ericread
post Mar 12 2008, 12:14 PM
Post #11

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

IMHO, there are three things to watch out for; rust, rust and rust. Everything else is fixed much easier. If you can get the owner to pull the rocker panels, look especially in ther area around the jack holes. Water just loves to get in there and muck about. What initially looks to be a tiny hole can hide an amazine amount of rust.

When I got my first teener about a year ago I looked primarily at the underbody, suspension and engine. If the fundamentals are good, every thing else is a (figuratively) piece of cake.

Good luck, blue skies and green lights!
+Quote Post
HeelnToe
post Mar 12 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #12

Okay, newbie question here: what exactly is the "hellhole"?

I've done a bunch of reading on these cars, and I know that rust is the biggest issue, so I want to be sure I know what to look for.

Btw, here is a photo of the battery area. Anyone frightened by what they see?

(IMG:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3163/2329644504_161c0ec04a_o.jpg)
+Quote Post
Rand
post Mar 12 2008, 01:01 PM
Post #13

Cross Member

the area below the battery and forward along the top of the frame rail

In your pic, if the battery and ECU were out of the way, the corner down in the bottom where the top of the frame rail and inner fender wall meet the firewall and along the top surface of the frame rail all around there.

If the car sees rain, water runs off the battery, picks up some acid (since it still has the old non-sealed lead-acid battery), and runs down, hits the top of the frame rail, runs forward and down.... Over time does it's damage and eats a hole, then starts dripping into the inside of the frame rail, then can lead to real damage.

This one doesn't look bad. But plan on getting rid of that battery, killing and sealing any surface rust, then installing and Optima or Odyssey sealed battery.
+Quote Post
Twise
post Mar 12 2008, 01:05 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 6,881
Region Association: Southern California

Looks a little rusty, but no holes. Buy It. I have seen much worse. What is he asking for it?
+Quote Post
HeelnToe
post Mar 12 2008, 01:05 PM
Post #15

So, looking at the photo, basically right in line behind the little strap holding up that black cable?

+Quote Post
roadster fan
post Mar 12 2008, 01:20 PM
Post #16

Project Frankenstein !!!!!!!!

Member No.: 5,184
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(HeelnToe @ Mar 11 2008, 10:00 PM) *

QUOTE(roadster fan @ Mar 11 2008, 10:25 PM) *

Jim

What exactly concerns you? I see a scratch, but is there something else?

I am just looking at photos so it is really hard to discern exactly what is pictured. It does look like a scratch, but I think that is a strange place for a scratch that size. That is a common area for these cars to have rust just like the hell hole. Just look closely at this area from the top and underneath. The rubber seal/trim around the windshield is not stock and just makes me wonder. Just look closely. If it is just a scratch so be it.

The area underneath the battery and to the left in your photo is the hell hole area. When looking just follow the slope of the frame rail down underneath the computer to find the area most commonly damaged by acid and water.

Just look everywhere that is hidden from first view. This is where rust hides. Looks like a nice car, but do a thorough inspection of the whole thing. If you can get someone experienced with these cars to go with you. If it is as nice as it looks and the price is right, congrats.

Jim
+Quote Post
Rand
post Mar 12 2008, 01:26 PM
Post #17

Cross Member

QUOTE(HeelnToe @ Mar 12 2008, 11:05 AM) *

So, looking at the photo, basically right in line behind the little strap holding up that black cable?

Here's a pic I found online that should help. You can see the areas they cut out and patched.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
JWest
post Mar 12 2008, 02:33 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 97

QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ Mar 12 2008, 10:14 AM) *

Wrong shift boot and knob ... looks like it came out of a 915...

Wrong Speakers...

Depending on your use for the car, these are nice upgrades. That's a RennShift shifter under that boot and the speakers are mounted in the pods from 914 Appearance and Performance.
+Quote Post
HeelnToe
post Mar 12 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #19

Depending on your use for the car, these are nice upgrades. That's a RennShift shifter under that boot and the speakers are mounted in the pods from 914 Appearance and Performance.

The owner also just informed me that he has the original boot and shift knob, so this is now much less of a concern.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Mar 12 2008, 02:51 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Rennshift is a huge bonus, better than the original, so keep it in the negotiations.

I can only add to inspect that drivers quarter closely. If indeed the sticker was just taken off, it should be evident with perhaps some fading of paint to show where the sticker was ect. If you are not good at spotting body work, bring someone who is.

Ferg
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 10:16 PM