Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who's restored a 914/4? Not 6, but 4, Let's hear the stories and see the pics please
william harris
post Mar 15 2008, 07:21 PM
Post #41

914 Restorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,539

Details have been omitted to protect the owner. Over 2 years, down to bare metal and back restoration. Everything, and I mean everything, gone thru, replaced, repaired, improved: few details - all metal body work, butt welded and removed side markers and antennae, zinc enriched primer, six color coats Lapis Blue Metallic, three clear coats; Eric Shea petal cluster; larger master cylinder, rebuilt calipers, turbo tie rods, Elephant Racing Gear bearings; front and rear anti-sway bars, Ebach springs, Koni shocks; Raby cam and Hoffman Engineering Heads, Blyenseng retuned MPS, CFR stainless steel headers, and a million details I have forgot (like all new rubber when you could still get it from Germany, new dash pad, new seat belts (Auto Atlanta - NOS in boxes), etc. etc. etc. And I have driven it over 20,000 miles since it is back on the road. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
akellym
post Mar 15 2008, 09:54 PM
Post #42

Eyes Of The Deep Battle

Member No.: 2,395
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(william harris @ Mar 15 2008, 08:21 PM) *

Details have been omitted to protect the owner. Over 2 years, down to bare metal and back restoration. Everything, and I mean everything, gone thru, replaced, repaired, improved: few details - all metal body work, butt welded and removed side markers and antennae, zinc enriched primer, six color coats Lapis Blue Metallic, three clear coats; Eric Shea petal cluster; larger master cylinder, rebuilt calipers, turbo tie rods, Elephant Racing Gear bearings; front and rear anti-sway bars, Ebach springs, Koni shocks; Raby cam and Hoffman Engineering Heads, Blyenseng retuned MPS, CFR stainless steel headers, and a million details I have forgot (like all new rubber when you could still get it from Germany, new dash pad, new seat belts (Auto Atlanta - NOS in boxes), etc. etc. etc. And I have driven it over 20,000 miles since it is back on the road. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

It's my long lost cousin! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 15 2008, 09:54 PM
Post #43

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43

QUOTE(william harris @ Mar 15 2008, 05:21 PM) *

Holy! That looks very much like Kelly's car! Dajavue!

Tell us more! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
akellym
post Mar 16 2008, 07:22 AM
Post #44

Eyes Of The Deep Battle

Member No.: 2,395

I know of 4 Lapis blue 914 now. People are going to think it's OEM color.
+Quote Post
degreeoff
post Mar 16 2008, 07:41 AM
Post #45

I like big butts and I can not lie!

Member No.: 275
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(shaggy @ Mar 15 2008, 05:11 PM) *

that sounds about right.
figure it takes about 20K for a good paint job done correctly if there is minimal rust repair and no body damage.

it seems to me that some 914 owners got into 914's because they are cheaper than 911's.
but in reality it costs much more to restore a 914 vs a 911 because they were not as popular which makes it hard to find certain parts to complete a true restoral.

I got into mine because I had previous experience with a VW bus and know I could repair the motor with ease.....here is was my 4 story.......

http://www.daybydayco.com/car4web/914.html

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Michael N
post Mar 17 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #46

Certifiable

Member No.: 2,164
Region Association: Northern California

Started with a pretty solid car to begin with. Minor work to engine, suspension, and brake system. Most was taking apart and tracking down tons of rubber to replace the old cracked stuff. One of the hardest pieces to get was the OEM front LE valance. I found a NOS on Ebay and paid way too much. Several years later I've still not seen one for sale again. Maybe it wasn't such a bad buy after all. This restoration is almost 2 years old now and the car still looks great.

Yes, I'd do it all again.

Before
Attached Image

During
Attached Image

After
Attached Image

+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Mar 18 2008, 12:23 AM
Post #47

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

well, I have brought back from teh dead about 10 now. I did not have a digital camera for all of them. I wish I had known 914club before i got into some of them.

lets see if I can find some pics of sweetpea. there she is in teh back ground. I bought her as a basket case in concord. sight unseen, we rented a truck and drove up. ya'll know sweetpea, right? signal orange 601 .

the blue car was multi colored black. Bondo owns it up in Los Osos now.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Mar 18 2008, 12:26 AM
Post #48

Chingon 601

then there was yeller

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Mar 18 2008, 12:29 AM
Post #49

Chingon 601

before that was this white 74. it was hit hard on teh front left. I wish I had some before shots. this is the one I wish I still had. everything was soooooo clean. even under teh trim was sweet.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Mar 18 2008, 12:30 AM
Post #50

Chingon 601

dfg

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Mar 18 2008, 12:32 AM
Post #51

Chingon 601

fhf

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Mar 18 2008, 12:33 AM
Post #52

Chingon 601

does anyone remember teh whale tail car?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 05:21 AM