Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Much Flare is Too Much Flare?, How wide is too wide?
jcd914
post Mar 28 2008, 07:49 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

This question is severely early considering the state of my 914 but I like to think things through (too much if you ask my family).
I have a 1971 914-4 that needs some rust repair and body work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
I intend for it to be primarily a track car but one that can be driven on the street. I always thought 7's and 8's were a good look on a 914 so I was planning to widen the rear fender some. I have some GT Racing rear quarter panels that say they will allow 12" wheels. I was not looking to go this wide but now that I have these I am considering using them. I like the aggresive look of a wide, low 914. If I had a big HP motor then this might be an easier call but I don't.
I have a very nice 2.0L, built to meet the old PCA Production class (BP) rules. I don't have any HP numbers for this motor but there are no big mods allowed for production class, just Euro pistons.

How wide can I go with flares before I don't have enough HP to push them thru the air?

Jim
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JPB
post Mar 28 2008, 08:22 PM
Post #2

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

To me, there is nothing worst than a gutless engine in a tricked out ride and nothing meaner than a beefed up engine in a stock looking car. When I took a turn sideways last summer and side swiped a median, I wished I had some 15" tires in the rear. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
sww914
post Mar 28 2008, 08:23 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146
Region Association: None

I think that you don't have enough HP to turn that big of a set of wheels and tires. It will hurt more than it will help, IMO. With a 2.0 I wouldn't want any more than 8's & 9's. I've been running 7's & 8's for years and I've done well like that, with my 2056 I think I'd be happier with 8's & 9's but I haven't been affording new wheels.
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Mar 28 2008, 08:48 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

I had 7 & 8's with a stock 2.0 /4. It cornered like it was on rails. No power out of the hole, but, when you can carry a lot of speed into a corner it usually isn't a problem.
+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Mar 28 2008, 09:21 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,842

Too wide? What's that?
Attached Image
Mark D.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 01:15 AM