Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Current Market Conditions & Summary 4's & 6's, Help for the Newby's coming on board
Ferg
post Mar 31 2008, 04:05 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

15k 2.0 are very real, Just as real as mid 30k to mid 40k real sixes. And yes, you can document the sales. I think some people's perception of "nice" is skewed...

A Delphi green 73 2.0 was sold at BJ this spring for 16k+ and it was only a #3 condition car!

A concour winning 71 Six traded hands recently for 45k. A nice original signal orange six sold for 38k.

A very modified (forgot the year) Fat Performance 2.5L engined car just sold on Ebay for 12k.

A Yellow 75 2.0 that nice, but not drive it out and win awards nice just sold for 14,500...

I could go on and on...

Ferg
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 31 2008, 04:10 PM
Post #22

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 31 2008, 06:05 PM) *

15k 2.0 are very real, Just as real as mid 30k to mid 40k real sixes. And yes, you can document the sales. I think some people's perception of "nice" is skewed...

A Delphi green 73 2.0 was sold at BJ this spring for 16k+ and it was only a #3 condition car!

A concour winning 71 Six traded hands recently for 45k. A nice original signal orange six sold for 38k.

A very modified (forgot the year) Fat Performance 2.5L engined car just sold on Ebay for 12k.

A Yellow 75 2.0 that nice, but not drive it out and win awards nice just sold for 14,500...

I could go on and on...

Ferg

Im not gonna nit pick..I would love the see the market really go up drastically, but the reality is that what you are quoting are rare examples.
Leave the 914/6 out of the discussion..its unique.
Barrett Jackson cars are always over priced.
One yellow 75 2.0 14.5k....where and more details.

The average car, no special motor, just a clean car, clean driver will not go over 7-8k right now.

Here is a great place for a barometer.
http://www.camp914.com/cars/yel11.29.html

Rich
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Mar 31 2008, 04:24 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Yellow car...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/31-113-ACTU...1QQcmdZViewItem

To me a 7-8k is gonna need another at least 7-8 to make it what I would want so buy the best to start...

I don't think the cars I posted are way "out there" and that's just a small snippet from the last couple of months. Sixes aside 914's are not rare cars and lately, the "nice" ones are starting to appear from hiding.

Ferg
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Mar 31 2008, 04:43 PM
Post #24

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 30 2008, 06:43 PM) *

5.) This is where I expect to flamed to death! If your looking at a 914 as an investment, and there are worse, keep it as close to stock as possible. And, keep it roadworthy. Adding a contemporary stereo system won't destroy its value, but putting a Suby or V8 or any non-Porsche engine in it is the kiss of death. You'll NEVER recoup your investment. But, if you want an investment with positive returns - keep it stock. Look, they made so few of these things, and most have been restored (at least partially), it only makes reasonable sense from an investment stanpoint. Stock 914's will increase in value. Customs are the dream of the customizer, with no regard to investment return.

No flame this, simply expressing a different point of view.

"If you're looking at a 914 as an investment... keep it as close to stock as possible." No argument IF you're looking at it as an investment, but hey, isn't having fun the whole raison d'etre for a 914? If you can't have fun with it what's the point? If I wanted an automotive investment I'd spend my weekends polishing a fuddy old Packard or some other boring lump. Screw the ROI, I'm in this for the grins!!! Yeah horsepower!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 31 2008, 07:00 PM
Post #25

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE(Paul Illick @ Mar 31 2008, 04:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 30 2008, 06:43 PM) *

5.) This is where I expect to flamed to death! If your looking at a 914 as an investment, and there are worse, keep it as close to stock as possible. And, keep it roadworthy. Adding a contemporary stereo system won't destroy its value, but putting a Suby or V8 or any non-Porsche engine in it is the kiss of death. You'll NEVER recoup your investment. But, if you want an investment with positive returns - keep it stock. Look, they made so few of these things, and most have been restored (at least partially), it only makes reasonable sense from an investment stanpoint. Stock 914's will increase in value. Customs are the dream of the customizer, with no regard to investment return.

No flame this, simply expressing a different point of view.

"If you're looking at a 914 as an investment... keep it as close to stock as possible." No argument IF you're looking at it as an investment, but hey, isn't having fun the whole raison d'etre for a 914? If you can't have fun with it what's the point? If I wanted an automotive investment I'd spend my weekends polishing a fuddy old Packard or some other boring lump. Screw the ROI, I'm in this for the grins!!! Yeah horsepower!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

That's cool! It's your 914. Do with it as you wish. I was merely imparting a point of view. Lack of flame appreciated! Have fun!
Pat
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 31 2008, 07:20 PM
Post #26

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

With a few exeptions, I think this thread has digressed from it's original point.

That point being - how do we help the "newbies" get into the market?

Yep, there have been many references to eBay. And, just when did eay start driving the 914 resale market? Look at the majority of car offered. Most are beaters at best. We aren't helping the newbies with that.

Let's discuss deals between knowledgeable factions, Further, let's discuss the disparity between dollars & euros, and why so many US featured 914's are changing soil.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Mar 31 2008, 08:01 PM
Post #27

914 Guru

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 31 2008, 05:20 PM) *

Look at the majority of car offered. Most are beaters at best. We aren't helping the newbies with that.

Well... I dunno about that statement... I learned more about 914's and how they work with my first 3900 dollar car, than any other (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'm always dishing out advice when it comes to buying cars, not just 914's, when friends ask for it or not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) A beater is ok, if it's sound, and meets a price point, but it's gotta have good bones.

Best thing a 914 buying virgin could do would bring a club member along.

Ferg
+Quote Post
beech4rd
post Mar 31 2008, 08:16 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 7,445

The dollar / euro relationship is simple. As a result of the fiscal policies of our administration, the dollar has lost about a third of its value relative to the euro.
Five years ago a European resident would pay E5000.00 for a $5000.00 U.S. based 914. Right now, that same person only needs E3400.00 to buy a $5000.00 car. Historically, European cars have sold in the U.S. for less than they cost in Europe. There is a letter in the current (May) issue of Road & Track from an English reader noting that a new BMW M3 lists for $65,000.00 in the U.S. (probably exclusive of Sales Tax) and the same car lists for $114,000.00 (probably inclusive of Value Added Tax) in England. There are lots of reasons why cars are cheaper here (more efficient sales system, size of market etc.)
There are also many more 914s here than there are in Europe. Partly because here the car was always sold as ( and perceived to be) a Porsche and not a glorified VW that a halfway decently set up MGB could easily outrun. And partly because safety inspections in Europe are far more stringent than those here and many more cars were failed and scrapped.
So now, owners with good 914s will have a far wider market for their cars.
Curiously, there seems to be a 914-6 in Poland being offered for sale on U.S. eBay. Is this guy nuts or what?
Chris
+Quote Post
cassidy_bolger
post Mar 31 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 5,737

I am wondering whether our current economic conditions may cause 914 prices to stagnate or rise this summer - maybe even fall? It seems like in spring the prices usually shoot up as people get excited to pick up a fun summer car - the next few months are the time to watch what things go for, I think.

Two silver '73 2.0's in the classifieds right now look like bargains to me:

$11,500 in canada: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=82406

$6900 at CAMP 914: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=82344

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 07:18 AM