Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Basic painting questions
Thack
post Apr 5 2008, 10:22 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,182

Now you need to wet sand it with 400 grit. Use a small 5 or 6 inch block. You will probably hit metal again. Then use a little thinner to clean the surface. Then hit it again. Repeat above process until it's so smooth you gey a stiffy. Then it's ready for paint.
You can get by with a small compressor. Stay away from the nailer/pancake compressors. A small 7 to 12 gallon would work. Or borrow one. You'll be unhappy if you roll paint on it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dkos
post Apr 7 2008, 10:15 AM
Post #22

say, "RUST"!

Member No.: 3,204
Region Association: None

I've been thinking about doing this roller-paint-job for some time. My garage is too small and my neighborhood to tight to spray my car at home. It looks like a lot of work, but many people have done it and had good results. People have had good results using Interlux Brightside boat paint. They say it levels out better and has more shine.

Take a look at this website: http://rolledon.com/index.htm Not a lot of content, but a good place to start and seems to be monitored by guys who have had success and are glad to talk to you about it.
+Quote Post
Thack
post Apr 7 2008, 12:13 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 4,182

Rolled on paint is better than no paint. Take some good pics so we can see.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 7 2008, 12:52 PM
Post #24

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Apr 4 2008, 02:30 AM) *

36 or 40 grit sand paper? Isn't that a little harsh? I sure don't want to scratch the metal too much.

36 or 40 will take the paint of nice.
If you can afford a random orbital sander from HD, they are alot faster than the 1/4 sheet palm sander you have.

The random orbital will save you from having to use stripper also.

For the paint, look on ebay.
You can get a gallon of car paint for 40 bucks.
The they even sell a whole "kit" which has the correct thinner/activator for little money.

Rent the compressor, that way you can rent a big one.
Look at tool rental places, you may be able to rent a spray gun also.

Expect that on a single stage spray job in the driveway you will have to color sand it and buff it anyways.

Rich
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Apr 7 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #25

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Apr 3 2008, 11:48 PM) *

4) How long of a block sander do I need?

The longboard I have is 16 inches x 2 3/4 inch wide. Bought it at CJ's here in Allentown. Great auto paint shop. The longboard really flattens out areas.

Use contrast coats of sandable primer to find high spots & low spots. When you think you have a panel ready, spray the area with a very light coat of black primer. Then lightly sand with the longboard. High and low spots will jump out at you as well as big scratches and other imperfections. Do as many contrast coats as needed.

To smooth the roundish flares on the back of my 914, I made some flexible longboards out of 1/16 inch thick strips of some type of hardwood. I think it's white oak. I glued the paper to the strip so it's a one shot use.

Good luck with your paint job. As others have said, a paint job is only as good as the preparation.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
keebler117
post Apr 15 2008, 03:05 PM
Post #26

Keebler Kahnn~

Member No.: 6,782

These people have a Delux Paint job for 59 bucks. I have used them Several times and have been very pleased with the product for no more that what it costs...

http://www.smartshoppersinc.com

All you need is a compressor and gun. You can also get these cheap from www.Homier.com

Be Sure to post LOTS of Photos bro....
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Apr 15 2008, 05:55 PM
Post #27

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782
Region Association: Southern California

don't roll it. I did and spent two weeks sanding...served as a great primer but too much work. Bot a cheap gun off ebay for $40, went to Ray's Auto Paint in Los Angeles and bot a gallon of Western (Sherman Williams) One Stage Synthetic Enamel with high gloss hardner for $60.

Sprayed, sanded, sprayed, sanding to 3000 and now buffing and polishing...looks better than my friends $10,000, not kidding.

Ray's has all knids of paint and will kustom do color matching, great little place.

Ray's Auto Paint & Body Shop Supplies
3217 E Cesar E Chavez Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90063 Map
(323) 269-9851

I went to this location, one guy named Rob...tell him the CSOB with the black garage porsche sent you. He even sells paint by the pint...cool, cool guy.

Rays Auto Paints
5917 York Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90042
(323) 255-3675

PLEASE DO NOT ROLL-BTDT

A Preval Sprayer is better.

+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 15 2008, 06:19 PM
Post #28

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Apr 15 2008, 03:55 PM) *

don't roll it. I did and spent two weeks sanding...served as a great primer but too much work. Bot a cheap gun off ebay for $40, went to Ray's Auto Paint in Los Angeles and bot a gallon of Western (Sherman Williams) One Stage Synthetic Enamel with high gloss hardner for $60.

Sprayed, sanded, sprayed, sanding to 3000 and now buffing and polishing...looks better than my friends $10,000, not kidding.

Ray's has all knids of paint and will kustom do color matching, great little place.

Ray's Auto Paint & Body Shop Supplies
3217 E Cesar E Chavez Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90063 Map
(323) 269-9851

I went to this location, one guy named Rob...tell him the CSOB with the black garage porsche sent you. He even sells paint by the pint...cool, cool guy.

Rays Auto Paints
5917 York Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90042
(323) 255-3675

PLEASE DO NOT ROLL-BTDT

A Preval Sprayer is better.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Our little cars have been called the poor mans porsche for too long. Don't give em more amo. We'll help you get a nice car. Just stay at it. Remember, they don't call it body WORK for nuthin!
+Quote Post
swood
post Apr 15 2008, 09:15 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 251

...again with the rolling... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Hi Joe!
+Quote Post
davesclassicvws
post Apr 15 2008, 11:09 PM
Post #30

davesclassicvws

Member No.: 4,917
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Apr 4 2008, 05:58 PM) *

I have a paint question... how can I find a store that sells auto paint supplies? All that I have been able to find are body shops... no retail outlets.

Todd,
There are several options in the greater Portland Area. Industrial finishes is on Hwy 99 E over in the Eastmorland area.
I live up in Vancouver and we have several options up here. I go to Bob's Paintland in Vancouver. They are on 99th St and Hwy 99. There is also Northwest paint . They are off of the Paden Parkway on the corner of 78th St and and 91st Ave.
I hope this helps.
By the way, if you are looking for a good painter, I recomend Steve Heibert. Craig refered him to me and he has done very good work and is fair priced. He did a battery tray replacemnet for me last year and he recenlty finished a 69 Beetle I'm building for my wife. I'm very pleased with his work. He was on time and reasonable which I can tell you from experience is not the norm when it comes to having paint work done.
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Apr 15 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #31

Family

Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(swood @ Apr 15 2008, 07:15 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

I learn best by doing along with a little help over my shoulder. I am not averse to spraying either, but IF I do this, it will be on my '7X project and not the '73. This is part learning experience, part experiment. It may evolve into painting by spraying too. Right now, I am for this project I am focused on the hood and making it smooth with primer. I've already learned a lot and plan to continue to do so.

Welcome back from Hawaii Stevo. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Apr 16 2008, 10:10 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 2,461

This might help, starts about halfway down.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=17931

My 6 is a driveway paint job

Good Luck, Don
+Quote Post
keebler117
post Apr 16 2008, 11:19 AM
Post #33

Keebler Kahnn~

Member No.: 6,782

Also remember that if you do a lot of sanding, Be Sure to wear a Respirator, or at least a mask, be sure to have Lots of Ventilation as the Old Original paint has LEAD in it ....
+Quote Post
Todd Enlund
post Apr 16 2008, 11:59 AM
Post #34

Resident Photoshop Guru

Member No.: 8,032
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(davesclassicvws @ Apr 15 2008, 10:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Apr 4 2008, 05:58 PM) *

I have a paint question... how can I find a store that sells auto paint supplies? All that I have been able to find are body shops... no retail outlets.

Todd,
There are several options in the greater Portland Area. Industrial finishes is on Hwy 99 E over in the Eastmorland area.
I live up in Vancouver and we have several options up here. I go to Bob's Paintland in Vancouver. They are on 99th St and Hwy 99. There is also Northwest paint . They are off of the Paden Parkway on the corner of 78th St and and 91st Ave.
I hope this helps.
By the way, if you are looking for a good painter, I recomend Steve Heibert. Craig refered him to me and he has done very good work and is fair priced. He did a battery tray replacemnet for me last year and he recenlty finished a 69 Beetle I'm building for my wife. I'm very pleased with his work. He was on time and reasonable which I can tell you from experience is not the norm when it comes to having paint work done.

Thanks, Dave. When the time comes, I plan on giving it a try myself
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 08:30 AM