Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> I moved my entire gearshift up, A CSOB's solution
URY914
post Apr 24 2008, 02:12 PM
Post #1

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

In case you missed this, I thought I'd share it with you...

In an attempt to be able to perform quicker gear shifts, I have raised my gearshift base and shift rod about 3" above the stock location. This means that the forward shift rod is above the center tunnel but still uses the stock firewall bushing. I figure if I move the gearshift closer to the steering wheel my hand will spend less time going between the wheel and the gearshift.

I did not add universal joints to the shift rod. The coupling under the gearshift and at the firewall allows for some degree of mis-alinement. I fabricated the brackets so I could adjust them so if the mis-alinement was too great and the rod was binding up I could back it down and free it up.

If I really wanted to raise it up 6" or so I'd have to add u-joints into the rod. Than I could also cut a few inches off the gear shift handle to reduce the throw. Maybe I'll do this next if this doesnt work out completely.

This is not a pretty polished custom CNC fabricated aluminum piece but it works. I have not driven the car with it, but it is little more stiff that stock. I only use 1-2-3 anyway so I'll learn to live with it.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 12:24 AM