Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nailed topcs on this forum, Should we change the format?
McMark
post May 7 2008, 01:31 AM
Post #21

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I put up a test version to clarify, but now that it's up there, I'm not sure I like it... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 7 2008, 07:44 PM
Post #22

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(davep @ May 6 2008, 09:36 PM) *

Paul, exactly correct. That is why I suggest the threads are locked.
Pat, first to do is to create the subforum, and move the stickies there.
Then create a thread format for the way you think the thread should be laid out. We can talk that over and settle on a plan before actually starting a thread. I think we will get a more pleasing result with some advance planning.

PM sent
Pat
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 11 2008, 11:52 AM
Post #23

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

No more ideas? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post May 11 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

QUOTE(McMark @ May 6 2008, 11:31 PM) *

I put up a test version to clarify, but now that it's up there, I'm not sure I like it... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I think the concept has a real value and merits a (slightly larger) banner at the top of the page, but............

I think it needs to be determined if this material should consist of good pictures of the specific cars (yes), precise, specific, clear, direct language pertaining to the individual model (probably, i.e. "note that MY 1970 and 1971 /6s had the ignition switch on the dash, to the left of the steering column. MY 1972 /6 had the ignition switch on the right side on the steering column")
Should these model year topics include the friendly banter, sarcasm and kidding that most of us enjoy on this Forum (probably not).

The 914/6 example posted as a "test" shows some real promise, but it needs more specific pictures, some editing out of non-related material, and a format that would show:
A) an overall outside view of a car, front, back, side, maybe 3/4 views with specific areas like wheels, bumpers, valences to be added later as time and contributions permit.
B)interior views w/dashboards, seats, door sills, consoles, etc. presented.
C)front trunk w/ and w/o spare, details around the gas tank and m/c
D)rear trunk w/ and w/o insulation pad, carpeting, jack variants
E)engine compartment w/ overall views and specific areas as needed and/or required (i.e. stickers, air cleaners, coil, etc.
F)miscellaneous (owners' manuals, service books, tool kits, accessories era appropriate for the MY.

As whoever will be in charge of formating this, as improved photos become available, their addition and/or deletion of prior material shold be at their discretion. As I had indicated previously, Pat Garvey's 1972 1.7 could serve as an ideal template for that specific model. Correct paint, presented "as built", with lots of detail photos, that car would serve as an example to someone as to how a 1972 914 looked when delivered new.

Paul
+Quote Post
smontanaro
post May 11 2008, 01:35 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 4,197
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(McMark @ May 11 2008, 12:52 PM) *
No more ideas?

I still think the tagging idea merits at least a little testing. In addition to the other stuff I mentioned earlier, it allows the load of applying tags to be distributed across the readership of the forums. You need not rely on one or a few people to do all the heavy lifting.

Skip
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 13 2008, 08:59 PM
Post #26

I've been giving this some more thought, aided by several of this forum's stalwarts.

Here's the consensus proposal:

Under the title of "Model Specific Information" will be eleven succint threads - one each for 1970, thru 1972 914'6's, one for 916's, one each for each 914-4 model thru 1976.

Each thread will be locked & controlled by the writer/"threadmeister" (as well as the forum admin).

All "threadmeisters" will be responsible for all posts to that thread, fielding suggested info & posting those items appropriate to that thread. This would be accomplished via PM's, since each thread will be locked.

Each of the eleven threads would be responsible for providing the same information, in a similar format (to be determined):
Page 1 - general shots - front, rear, side, plus general changes between years.
Page 2 - options, color, price.
Page 3 - front trunk.
Page 4 - rear trunk.
Page 5 - interior.
Page 6: appearance group/performance group - if applicable.
Page 7: special models withing the MY.

For now, all pic's would be approximately the same, and of the same pixel range - so comparisons are easy. This pixel range will be determined by the site admins, since they must control the functionality of the entire site. Future Threadmeisters will be advisedmof these constraints & how to deal with them,

The point here is to generate a "true" history - both pictorial & text, for each model and model year. Not intended to be a wiki, as those can be violated. We WANT pure history.

Yeah, I know, it sounds a little cumbersome, but once it's made - it's bible. And... it will be here - the World! We will build it, we will confirm it. It will become gospel.

Now, I could call for threadmeisters right now - and we have numerous experts here. BUT, I want general feedback first. I am only this forum's Moderator - not an Admin. I'm a hireling, well I don't get paid, but am answerable to the Admins.

But, I want to get this rolling. Do away with all the nailed threads, etc. Create a REAL digital history of the 914.

Comments?

Any people out there volunteering to Threadmeisters for specific models/years?
Pat
+Quote Post
pin31
post May 14 2008, 12:29 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 7,492

Pat,
I'll volunteer to be a "threadmeister" for 1974 model year.

Tim
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 15 2008, 07:43 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 13 2008, 08:59 PM) *

I've been giving this some more thought, aided by several of this forum's stalwarts.

Here's the consensus proposal:

Under the title of "Model Specific Information" will be eleven succint threads - one each for 1970, thru 1972 914'6's, one for 916's, one each for each 914-4 model thru 1976.

Each thread will be locked & controlled by the writer/"threadmeister" (as well as the forum admin).

All "threadmeisters" will be responsible for all posts to that thread, fielding suggested info & posting those items appropriate to that thread. This would be accomplished via PM's, since each thread will be locked.

Each of the eleven threads would be responsible for providing the same information, in a similar format (to be determined):
Page 1 - general shots - front, rear, side, plus general changes between years.
Page 2 - options, color, price.
Page 3 - front trunk.
Page 4 - rear trunk.
Page 5 - interior.
Page 6: appearance group/performance group - if applicable.
Page 7: special models withing the MY.

For now, all pic's would be approximately the same, and of the same pixel range - so comparisons are easy. This pixel range will be determined by the site admins, since they must control the functionality of the entire site. Future Threadmeisters will be advisedmof these constraints & how to deal with them,

The point here is to generate a "true" history - both pictorial & text, for each model and model year. Not intended to be a wiki, as those can be violated. We WANT pure history.

Yeah, I know, it sounds a little cumbersome, but once it's made - it's bible. And... it will be here - the World! We will build it, we will confirm it. It will become gospel.

Now, I could call for threadmeisters right now - and we have numerous experts here. BUT, I want general feedback first. I am only this forum's Moderator - not an Admin. I'm a hireling, well I don't get paid, but am answerable to the Admins.

But, I want to get this rolling. Do away with all the nailed threads, etc. Create a REAL digital history of the 914.

Comments?

Any people out there volunteering to Threadmeisters for specific models/years?
Pat

After thinking about this for a couple of days, I suspect (from a historical standpoint) that we may want to include histrical 914 race cars as another category. Anyone care to comment?

I'm on vacation, so I'm online seldom. Next week, we'll get this settled.

Just wanted to sow the seeds.
Pat
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post May 17 2008, 08:32 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 7,438

Along similar lines, I think more general information would be useful. Like, known vendors, websites with more info, etc.

Check out
http://fmtunerinfo.com/

They have lots of info on the splash page...

For instance, how about a "definitive" page on which batteries fit in the stock position, which model of Optima battery is necessary, the specific battery hold-down, etc. I mean, how many times are common questions asked?

Paul
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 18 2008, 09:46 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(orthobiz @ May 17 2008, 08:32 PM) *

Along similar lines, I think more general information would be useful. Like, known vendors, websites with more info, etc.

Check out
http://fmtunerinfo.com/

They have lots of info on the splash page...

For instance, how about a "definitive" page on which batteries fit in the stock position, which model of Optima battery is necessary, the specific battery hold-down, etc. I mean, how many times are common questions asked?

Paul

Biz,

I hear you, but that's easily gotten from other threads or forums.

My (and others) purpose here is to provide a "pictionary" of the differences, from a historical standpoint, between the models. One stop shopping.

Interested in a 1971 914-4? Go to that model-specific thread. See everything specific to that model - in one thread, from experts. Some would say - do a wiki. Problem with wiki's is - anyone can screw up something that's created correctly. So, we create our own pictionary right here, protected by experts for each model, and also protected by those fortunate few who know it all! No one individual can corrupt the history. The information is kept virginal (oh, I'll be this elicits responses!).

Questions/opinions/quirks would be submitted to the general forum aboout specific models, and addressed by the threadmeister for that model. He/she would determine inclusion into the base thread.

All pics would be formatted similarly, if possible, so that year-to-year comparisons could be easily made.

That said, I'm not going forward with this until I get positive feedback from the members. If you don't want it, fine. If you think it would help people more easily get the info they need, tell me so.

This won't be particularly easy for us to put together, so we're not going to make the effort if it isn't well recieved. We'll also need "expert" to step forward & commit to being "threadmeisters".

So far, I'm not getting a warm & fuzzy feeling.
Pat
+Quote Post
davep
post May 18 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #31

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Pat, as I have suggested, I think the thing to do is to do ONE first and in so doing, set the pattern. I think that perhaps you should do yours as the first. Not that you will have to do it alone, it could be a collaborative project. Once we have one done to our satisfaction, then the others will be almost copies with different photos. After that it will become a matter of refining what has been done. The hard work is always with the prototype. Start with a plan as to what is to be presented, then how to present it. Follow with a text writeup, then embellish with photos to illustrate the points made.

What were the changes made for MY 1972? Seats for one thing. Then go on from there.
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post May 18 2008, 10:39 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE(davep @ May 18 2008, 08:20 PM) *

Pat, as I have suggested, I think the thing to do is to do ONE first and in so doing, set the pattern. I think that perhaps you should do yours as the first. Not that you will have to do it alone, it could be a collaborative project. Once we have one done to our satisfaction, then the others will be almost copies with different photos. After that it will become a matter of refining what has been done.

Yea, what he said! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Paul
+Quote Post
orange914
post May 18 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #33

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(McMark @ May 6 2008, 09:58 PM) *

I'll have to create the subforums. And, to be honest, subforums will really 'hide' the information for new people. It's great for organization, but really poor for ease of use.

i think the way you suggest, pat, would be good for concourse guys and hard on someone looking to just find out why his vacuum advance doesn't work properly(probably bad example). not trying to drop a turd on anyone, i guess it may come down to what works best for the group or maybe whats easier to use. that may just be my ignorance speaking though, i still can't use the search (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

mike
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post May 19 2008, 06:26 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 7,438

OK, I'm back on topic.
I think it's great to chronicle the individual model years.
Pat's 1972 would be a great place to start.

Standardizing pics would help everyone. Could even mix up individual cars: my 1974 is pretty much stock and I'd be willing. Maybe my trunk is more stock than someone elses?, etc.

Go ahead Pat, try one thread, please.

Paul
+Quote Post
davep
post May 19 2008, 08:19 AM
Post #35

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Kenny, this is not a fixit thread, that is what the Lapuwali Classics are for.
These threads are for originality, AND the progression of the model from the introduction through to the last cars.

Paul, there is no requirement that the photos be from only one car for a particular thread. In some cases it may make it easier, and others more difficult. Lets try to help Pat flesh out a plan for the first thread.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 19 2008, 05:35 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(davep @ May 19 2008, 08:19 AM) *

These threads are for originality, AND the progression of the model from the introduction through to the last cars.

Paul, there is no requirement that the photos be from only one car for a particular thread. In some cases it may make it easier, and others more difficult. Lets try to help Pat flesh out a plan for the first thread.

Well, I envision 1970 as the starting point - particularly from the exterior shots. Why reinvent the wheel by showing the base again? Show the changes from one model year to another. Ex: changes from the rare angular license area of the 1970 rear bumper, deletion of the passenger footrest, etc. I mean, it's nice to see various 914 bodies, but they are very similar to a point.

Or, maybe I'm off base here. Open to any & all suggestions, so long as we keep it a visual history. Euro 914's must be included too - how do we handle that?

Anyone with a 1970 (and we can start with a four or six) willing to step forward to get this started? We'll all hold each other's hands to get through the initial phase.

Pat
+Quote Post
orange914
post May 19 2008, 06:08 PM
Post #37

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 19 2008, 04:35 PM) *

Pat

o.k. pat, i think i see were your going. i think we all have some year spacific interest in us. maybe i could help somewhat if this happens, i guess my interest is in the first 1000 1973's, slated for european market but sold in u.s.. i've researched and contacted many of these owners and put together info. would this be what your looking to do? let me know if i can contribute. thats what i like about this group of spacific car inthusiast (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

mike, (kenny-orange914's pop)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 19 2008, 07:41 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(orange914 @ May 19 2008, 06:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 19 2008, 04:35 PM) *

Pat

o.k. pat, i think i see were your going. i think we all have some year spacific interest in us. maybe i could help somewhat if this happens, i guess my interest is in the first 1000 1973's, slated for european market but sold in u.s.. i've researched and contacted many of these owners and put together info. would this be what your looking to do? let me know if i can contribute. thats what i like about this group of spacific car inthusiast (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

mike, (kenny-orange914's pop)

Now you're with us Mike! You WILL be contacted!

What about you 1970 Neun vierzehn? Care to help us start this thing? If you are, let either me or DaveP know. Yours is the perfect starting point for a 1970 four.

What about you sixers? Who has a '70 to help start this thing?

I'm starting to get excited! This could be great!

Pat
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post May 19 2008, 09:34 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

I'd think a good, clear profile photo would be a good starting point, but there are three things wrong here with this particular 1970 914/4.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 20 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #40

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 19 2008, 09:34 PM) *

I'd think a good, clear profile photo would be a good starting point, but there are three things wrong here with this particular 1970 914/4.

Oh, come on - you have hundreds of other pics.

Volunteer! Remember, you can create a legacy here.

And it can be an invaluable informational resource for future owners. Think back to when you wanted to know the lineage of a 914 - many, many years ago. You have the opportunity to become history here. Think about it!
Pat
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 06:42 PM